Split 1-bedroom apartment into 2 rooms

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
maxysu

Split 1-bedroom apartment into 2 rooms

Post by maxysu »

Hey there

see this groundplan:

http://i.imgur.com/ZPl7mWw.png

How to make this livable for two people who would like to have private space? I thought of something in this manner:

http://i.imgur.com/dyGo96U.png

How to do this without having to tell the landlord about changes of the apartment? (One can not just install walls...)

chenda

Re: Split 1-bedroom apartment into 2 rooms

Post by chenda »

I would suggest you shorten the corridor in the top left and extend the left room to the rear wall - its just wasted space otherwise. No walls allowed ? Maybe use tall bookshelves or movable partitions. I guessing the room is only about 3.5 metres wide ?

I assume you are aware of the risks of doing this without your landlords permission...

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Well, that seems like a small space to split, and add doors. Add the door swing, and you'll see what I mean. Sliding doors will help.

Please fill in some details about how much privacy is needed, and how temporary this is.

A roommate situation with no lease, could disolve in a month, so I'd think in terms of fabric, but then there's always the bringing a date home thing...

We'll need more information to help.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

I'm interested to see how this goes. My friends in SF created something like this with just a large bookshelf, but there was NO noise absorption.

If possible, i might try using lots of fabric - think 5 layers of heavy curtains, to absorb sound (if that is important). Softer materials > hard materials.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Look at ffj's split. Get four tall pieces of furniture. These will act as posts to support each end of the T and the middle. They should be equally high. If they're not, build some boxes to stack on top until you're near the roof. Put a beam (2x4 --- I don't think 2x4s are used in Europe --- or use a similar piece of framing) between each "furniture-post". You need three beams. Hang blankets over or down from the beams. You could run two beams instead of one to make a double wall. Your doors will be slits in the blankets. Make sure this is sturdy. Heavy book shelves. Nail or screw the beams in lest the whole thing come down on your head if someone trips on a blanket. The whole thing can be torn down in 10 minutes which I think the landlord will appreciate.

Shoji screens would be a nicer solution but they're somewhat more permanent. You can attach them and make something akin to a wall tent. The fabric will be somewhat expensive for this and there's nigh zero sound insulation.

Personally I would just separate the room with a halfwall made out of a big 6' tall bookshelf or closet like what JL13 mentioned. I had a similar arrangement when I was a kid for few years.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Yeah and possible fill the bookcase with something like this if it's affordable:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/48511892?wmls ... 98&veh=sem

maxysu

Post by maxysu »

Hey jacob and ffj - thanks so much for these very precise ideas (and the very nicely drawn picture - thanks!). That is really helpful :)

It is great that it is dissolvable within 10 minutes but it does not have to be. A landlord can not just enter one's flat here (in Switzerland) without a reasonable notice period.

Which kind of sheets (or double sheets) would be best for sound isolation?

I just see that the "room above" won't have a window - is that then even livable in the longrun?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The stiffer and the heavier the better. Think quilts and carpets. Not bedsheets. You can buy this stuff specifically but it's expensive and it's never going to be as good as a solid wall (hence the floor to ceiling bookshelf idea is better). Money might be better spent on ear plugs or noise-cancelling head phones?