Modernist Cuisine

Your favorite books and links
daylen

Modernist Cuisine

Post by daylen »

Has anyone read this giant book? https://www.amazon.com/Modernist-Cuisin ... 0982761007

I wouldn't advise buying it unless you are a very serious cook, but if you can get it by other means then it is a very interesting read. It combines cooking, physics, chemistry, microbiology, photography, and experimentation into a very comperhensive text on the art and science of cooking with modern (and old) techniques. I have learned so much reading this thing!

Lucky C

Re: Modernist Cuisine

Post by Lucky C »

I haven't but this EdX course featured that book in one of its videos: Science & Cooking

If you haven't already taken the course, I'm sure you would like it.

poleo

Post by poleo »

I've read quite a bit of it. It's super interesting, though it really is just a foundation for (hopefully) much more to come. Some parts are tedious - like how much do you really want to know about fluid gels - and other parts downright amazing - everything that has to do with the WHY of how different foods respond to different treatment.

It may also be possible to acquire a copy of the behemoth by certain internet methods involving some degree of peer collaboration over a distributed network, by the use of software. But I wouldn't know much more than that.

daylen

Post by daylen »

;)

bryan

Post by bryan »

I haven't, but it reminds me of a kitchen-space (like maker-space but for cooking) that opened in SF by a retired, young software guy. Lots of cool, expensive equipment and things going on, very sciency. However, checking out their social media it's clear that most of the goings-on are beginner-level stuff and any line chef or grandma could cook circles around them. Kind of got the feeling that they are re-inventing the wheel. Early days yet I guess.

This isn't to take away from OP. I think Mugaritz is an example of folks with a background in cooking applying and doing "the science." to counter my above anecdote.

Sorry for the diversion..

daylen

Post by daylen »

bryan wrote:...re-inventing the wheel.
You are probably right, but perhaps starting from scratch and using a rigorous scientific approach is beneficial to the culinary discipline? (Maybe this has already been done, but probably not in a format as extensive and entertaining as this book)

I don't really know how good of cooks these guys are, but the scientific connections to cuisine explored in the book are interesting nonetheless.