Why Does A Guy Worth $800 Million Own A Mobile Home Park?

Your favorite books and links

7Wannabe5

Re: Why Does A Guy Worth $800 Million Own A Mobile Home Park?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Excellent article! I will verify that "living" in a camper in an urban setting will facilitate an interesting social life-lol. On a related note, somebody was recently telling me that one of the characters who made a massive fortune shorting sub-prime mortgages is now highly engaged in a perma-culture project, but I haven't been able to verify. I like it when smart people who have every other option available to them confirm that I am making some good choices.

Did

Post by Did »

We lived in a van for 7 months and it was the best 7 months of our respective lives. Even now, in the dream Irish cottage, DW is always stressing about the stuff we have to do with it. I'm happy just to enjoy it, but end up doing the stuff to keep the peace.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, I was quite happy living in a camper with my recent-ex (except for the fact that he was too grouchy and out of shape to go hiking with me, etc.) He was the one who needed to return to the creature comforts of his suburban home. I won't even accept the deal of living in a suburban home with a man rent-free in exchange for housework, because it is easier to just pay my own rent and do my own housework in a much smaller space. I also won't accept the deal of living in a suburban home rent-free with a man with a maid to do the housework, but that is for other reasons.

OTOH, although I sometimes imagine reducing my shelter needs to some kind of all-weather-suit that would allow me to sleep upon the snow in January in Michigan, I am currently putting myself to all sorts of trouble to own and work upon land to produce food. I guess I am trying to get both food and shelter covered at the bare minimum necessary to not have anybody else doing the work for me. However, I am also trying to maximize free trade at the boundaries of my domain. Like I will have this tough, happy core of self-sufficiency connected to a large joyful flowing web of social interaction.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

I find $1,200 per month to rent a lot, which includes a tiny house, to be a lot of money just for housing.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

7Wannabe5 wrote: OTOH, although I sometimes imagine reducing my shelter needs to some kind of all-weather-suit that would allow me to sleep upon the snow in January in Michigan, I am currently putting myself to all sorts of trouble to own and work upon land to produce food.
Almost what you want:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/olympia- ... s/phantom/

I have one, and with the liner in it that thing is warm. It has leaked on me when I rode in a strong cross wind though; I guess the wind blew the rain past the Velcro liner or something. I'm looking for something better now.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@enigmaT120: Thanks for the recommendation, but it costs almost as much as my camper! OTOH, I'm thinking the pewter and black, might look kind of cute with hot pink accessories. Might as well look attractive when they dig me out of the drift. When I lived in the Upper Peninsula, I had to cover every inch of my skin with multiple layers, including wearing goggles over my eyes, just to walk a mile or two. I never wore anything more weather resistant than leather for motorcycling, but I never pushed the seasons, and I never rode in front either.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

This reinforces my desire to start a mobile home/tiny house park. I think it's feasible in any mid-large sized urban area.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

Hsieh seems to be the real deal. I watched The Downtown Project about his efforts to revitalize downtown Las Vegas last year and was impressed.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

This is a very inspirational story. I had a friend in college who liked to slum with uneducated partiers on the bad side of town who used to say, "I'm here because the fun is here."

I was a little shocked he could pull this off with his net worth. I've noticed the younger super rich seem to be able to do this. I know a couple of older wealthy guys who had some problems with security.

Maybe it has to do with how you carry yourself.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Sclass: Exactly. Confident but not aggressive vs. Aggressive but not confident. The question that remains is where to draw the line with Assertive. One of my partners is err on the side of Confident but not Assertive, and another of my partners is err on the side of Aggressive and Assertive but not Confident, and my third partner is err on the side of Overly Confident (Arrogant) and a bit too Assertive, and it's interesting how this plays out in terms of my feeling of safety in dangerous neighborhood, as passenger in car, or likelihood of getting good service at a restaurant while in their company. I am err on the side of Confident but not Aggressive and not Assertive myself, so I am usually safe on my own, but not always able to "get the job done" or "maintain my boundaries." That's why I sometimes err on the side of choosing overly Aggressive partners, but they always end up exhausting my patience. I try to ask myself questions like "Who would you like to find yourself with if you were stuck in an airport overnight?" One of the reasons I am much happier divorced than I was when I was married was that I would much rather be stuck in an airport overnight by myself than with my ex-husband. Same rule-of-thumb applies to hanging out in the neighborhood where I have my camper.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

7Wannabe5 wrote:@Sclass: Exactly. Confident but not aggressive vs. Aggressive but not confident. The question that remains is where to draw the line with Assertive. One of my partners is err on the side of Confident but not Assertive, and another of my partners is err on the side of Aggressive and Assertive but not Confident, and my third partner is err on the side of Overly Confident (Arrogant) and a bit too Assertive, and it's interesting how this plays out in terms of my feeling of safety in dangerous neighborhood, as passenger in car, or likelihood of getting good service at a restaurant while in their company. I am err on the side of Confident but not Aggressive and not Assertive myself, so I am usually safe on my own, but not always able to "get the job done" or "maintain my boundaries." That's why I sometimes err on the side of choosing overly Aggressive partners, but they always end up exhausting my patience. I try to ask myself questions like "Who would you like to find yourself with if you were stuck in an airport overnight?" One of the reasons I am much happier divorced than I was when I was married was that I would much rather be stuck in an airport overnight by myself than with my ex-husband. Same rule-of-thumb applies to hanging out in the neighborhood where I have my camper.
So we'll put. I never could put my finger on it till I read this 7. I worked with small man who tried to show me how to avoid muggings in Moscow. He was a New Yorker. He was only 5-3 but he always said "just walk like you're invisible. Confident, but do not look at them. Disappear in plain sight. Don't cower and hide, just drift by and they won't notice us." He said he learned this skill while attending Columbia U.

I never understood it. I just followed his lead and prayed as the thugs didn't approach us...you know that uh oh he's cutting across the street to meet me kind of thing.

Being a twenty something out of LA I thought we should be doing this :lol:

http://youtu.be/kLiJAX-MXcM

It really is frame of mind. There's something invisible protecting him. Confidence that he doesn't need a security team and gated estate.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Sclass:

Right. However, I should note that I think the best choice of behavior will vary somewhat with your appearance. For instance, if you are a 6'5" very fit black man sporting a euro-assassin ponytail, then you are going to be noticed no matter what, so you will have to come across as more alert and assertive. When I was dating an individual who met this description, he would sometimes remind me to stay next to him and match his stride, rather than dropping behind and wandering around in a daydream, as is my usual manner. Another note would be that if you are female, it is often safe, or sometimes even safer to signal submissive(but not frightened!) rather than assertive, but often this is not the case if you are a man.