Harari's new book reviewed

Your favorite books and links
EMJ

Harari's new book reviewed

Post by EMJ »

AI will create 'useless class' of human, predicts bestselling historian

Modern political and economic structures were built on humans being useful to the state: most notably as workers and soldiers, Harari argues. With those roles taken on by machines, our political and economic systems will simply stop attaching much value to humans, he argues.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... telligence

enigmaT120

Re: Harari's new book reviewed

Post by enigmaT120 »

I always thought the value of a human life was based on supply and demand.

Ego

Post by Ego »

“Most of what people learn in school or in college will probably be irrelevant by the time they are 40 or 50. If they want to continue to have a job, and to understand the world, and be relevant to what is happening, people will have to reinvent themselves again and again, and faster and faster.”

and

Though the people may no longer provide for the state, the state may still provide for them. “What might be far more difficult is to provide people with meaning, a reason to get up in the morning,” Harari says.

Two skills to learn now in preparation for what's to come. I look forward to the book.

Scrubby

Post by Scrubby »

Ego wrote:Though the people may no longer provide for the state, the state may still provide for them. “What might be far more difficult is to provide people with meaning, a reason to get up in the morning,” Harari says.
Come to think of it, it has been much easier for me to get up in the morning after I stopped having "a reason to get up in the morning".

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Scrubby wrote:Come to think of it, it has been much easier for me to get up in the morning after I stopped having "a reason to get up in the morning".
+1, brute noticed that whenever he doesn't have to get up, he likes getting up much better.