The Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans

Your favorite books and links
theanimal

The Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans

Post by theanimal »

The Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans]
The Fed asked respondents how they would pay for a $400 emergency. The answer: 47 percent of respondents said that either they would cover the expense by borrowing or selling something, or they would not be able to come up with the $400 at all.

I don't feel much pity for the author or the group's financial incompetence.

Dragline

Re: The Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans

Post by Dragline »

And guess what -- this is the same old tired story we've been reading our entire lives because human nature and the consumerist culture are nothing new:

"Not that Americans—or at least those born after World War II—had ever been especially thrifty. The personal savings rate peaked at 13.3 percent in 1971 before falling to 2.6 percent in 2005. As of last year, the figure stood at 5.1 percent, and according to McClary, nearly 30 percent of American adults don’t save any of their income for retirement. When you combine high debt with low savings, what you get is a large swath of the population that can’t afford a financial emergency.

So who is at fault? Some economists say that although banks may have been pushing credit, people nonetheless chose to run up debt; to save too little; to leave no cushion for emergencies, much less retirement. “If you want to have financial security,” says Brad Klontz, “it is 100 percent on you.” One thing economists adduce to lessen this responsibility is that credit represents a sea change from the old economic system, when financial decisions were much more constrained, limiting the sort of trouble that people could get themselves into—a sea change for which most people were ill-prepared."

Here's the rub from the article, but far from being "ironic" I would call it "expected" given the so-called "paradox of choice" that we now know about:

"It is ironic that as financial products have become increasingly sophisticated, theoretically giving individuals more options to smooth out the bumps in their lives, something like the opposite seems to have happened, at least for many. Indeed, Annamaria Lusardi and her colleagues found that, in general, the more sophisticated a country’s credit and financial markets, the worse the problem of financial insecurity for its citizens. Why? Lusardi argues that as the financial world has grown more complex, our knowledge of finances has not kept pace. Basically, a good many Americans are “financially illiterate,” and this illiteracy correlates highly with financial distress. A 2011 study she and a colleague conducted measuring knowledge of fundamental financial principles (compound interest, risk diversification, and the effects of inflation) found that 65 percent of Americans ages 25 to 65 were financial illiterates."

This passage is interesting because while the author admits to the problem, he falls back on the crutch of "self-authenticity" -- part of that "follow your passion" nonsense, when he should have chosen to be "another person" with less contradictory priorities:

"Take me. I plead guilty. I am a financial illiterate, or worse—an ignoramus. I don’t offer that as an excuse, just as a fact. I made choices without thinking through the financial implications—in part because I didn’t know about those implications, and in part because I assumed I would always overcome any adversity, should it arrive. I chose to become a writer, which is a financially perilous profession, rather than do something more lucrative. I chose to live in New York rather than in a place with a lower cost of living. I chose to have two children. I chose to write long books that required years of work, even though my advances would be stretched to the breaking point and, it turned out, beyond. We all make those sorts of choices, and they obviously affect, even determine, our bottom line. But, without getting too metaphysical about it, these are the choices that define who we are. We don’t make them with our financial well-being in mind, though maybe we should. We make them with our lives in mind. The alternative is to be another person."

And it only took a lifetime and the withdrawal of certain choices for the author to do what he should have been doing in the first place if he didn't value his consumption so much:

"In my house, we have learned to live a no-frills existence. We halved our mortgage payments through a loan-modification program. We drive a 1997 Toyota Avalon with 160,000 miles that I got from my father when he died. We haven’t taken a vacation in 10 years. We have no credit cards, only a debit card. We have no retirement savings, because we emptied a small 401(k) to pay for our younger daughter’s wedding. We eat out maybe once every two or three months. Though I was a film critic for many years, I seldom go to the movies now. We shop sales. We forgo house and car repairs until they are absolutely necessary. We count pennies."

As annoying as the inevitable "maybe its not my fault" "out" comes after each admission, at least he makes them:

"I don’t ask for or expect any sympathy. I am responsible for my quagmire—no one else. I didn’t get gulled into overextending myself by unscrupulous credit merchants. Basically, I screwed up, royally. I lived beyond my means, primarily because my means kept dwindling. I didn’t take the actions I should have taken, like selling my house and downsizing, though selling might not have covered what I owed on my mortgage. And let me be clear that I am not crying over my plight. I have it a lot better than many, probably most, Americans—which is my point. Maybe we all screwed up. Maybe the 47 percent of American adults who would have trouble with a $400 emergency should have done things differently and more rationally."

Yes, and maybe we should start telling people that earlier and more often instead of filling them with bullshit lies about doing "whatever feels good" and not worrying about the consequences.

OK, that's enough for one morning. ;-)

GandK

Post by GandK »

I loved his honesty. That level of financial nudity can't have been easy for him. But I was unnerved by the fact that he still didn't seem to "get it" regarding the need for savings. His attitude at the end was "I can't," not "I will find a way because this is necessary." Maybe he still sees savings as a luxury? It seems to me that he's still stuck in a consumer mentality.

The comments were disappointing for the Atlantic. Most of them were either picking apart the guy's past decisions or picking apart the other comments. A couple of kudos, but there was zero focus on where this guy could go from here.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Related thread.

I have noticed this stuff pops up from time to time. Don't expect it to change, in fact I think it is getting worse.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Exactly. And "it fits on one page!"

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Interesting read, thanks for the link.

Cruelly, I felt pity but not sympathy for the author. He reveals a lot of weaknesses--not saying no to his children, lying to his wife, not admitting he fell into the same sucker traps a lot of others did with real estate--but spins them into something else. I also didn't find him to be especially honest. He didn't disclose his income in the boom and bust years but calls himself middle class, which has such an elastic application that it has become meaningless. He references median income as if it applied to him, but I doubt the truth of that.

Where he goes now is where he's already been: relying on his adult daughters to support him and his wife in the future. They did go to the colleges they wanted, so now it's time to pay back the (unknown) loan. It sucks but it's their parents.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I also admire his honesty, and can only imagine the comments it has invited. That takes guts.

Still, I admit he lost me when he talked about finally taking steps to address his situation by moving to the Hamptons. “We live there full-time like the poor people, not only in the summer like the rich people.”

workathome

Post by workathome »

Oh my, did you see this one? Definitely related...

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201604 ... your-means

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

More seriously, I find this information somewhat worrying for the scale it seems to exist at. Can't be good for long term health of the broader economy.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Nice story. I think I'm going to spread c notes all over my bed and roll around a bit.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Like others, I admire his honesty. That said, I'd bet $100 he's looking for a book deal or shopping a manuscript around about this very topic.

What I'm really struck by in all of these stories is the helplessness. Why can't people learn this for themselves? If the author was young, he'd get a lot more sympathy from me. But after the 20th time he was short on cash, why didn't he educate himself on how to handle his money? The internet has been around his entire adult life. So has Dave Ramsey. Why do people assume that it's someone else's job to teach them everything they need to know in life?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@jp - Same reason why humans haven't solved a large number of other problems despite a known solution. Because

* a lack of agency which is very much instilled by the philosophy of our educational system in which a very reasonable explanation for ignorance is that nobody has taught us this yet.
* unknown-unknowns (like how anything finance isn't taught in the Danish system so not only do people not know where to start, they don't even know that they can start)
* most humans have a very hard time first admitting how they are wrong and then subsequently doing a 180. Much easier to try to justify why one must continue to be wrong. If people need a 12 step program to convince themselves of something obvious like "alcoholism is bad", personal finance is so much harder.
* some almost revel in their 'comfortable misery' and brag about how much they 'struggle in this economy'. Conversely, the few who have their financial "shit together" have to stay silent about so as not to upset the herd.
* many don't think that struggling is nearly as bad as not buying that new car they deserve.
* they live in a reality where correct financial management can be dismissed until the error catches up with them.
* some don't consider it an error and thus aren't really ashamed (shame being simply a reflection of violating personal morals) and pursue a pilage-strategy of repeatedly taking out loans and declaring bankruptcy for maximum extraction efficiency.
* crudely put, "you can't fix stupid".

Ego

Post by Ego »

After a litany of financial indignities he said:

"You wouldn’t know any of that to look at me. I like to think I appear reasonably prosperous."

Seeming vs Being. It is more important to seem prosperous than to actually be prosperous.

But then he noticed that people have made careers out of exposing their most shameful characteristics to the world. They try to defang the shame through profit by exposing it. Any attention, even negative attention, is better than none at all.

So this guy built the facade of prosperity and now is trying to charge admission to watch him burn down the false impression he worked so hard to build. He is triply shameless.

1. For building it.
2. For taking pride in exposing it to everyone.
3. For encouraging others to believe that because 47% of the population is in the same situation, it is normal.

The last one is the worst. He should be ashamed of himself. Chances are he is probably pretty proud of himself.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Ego wrote:After a litany of financial indignities he said:

Seeming vs Being. It is more important to seem prosperous than to actually be prosperous.
I totally agree I had a conversation with a close friend several years ago in a deeply unsatisfing marriage. She said she was afraid of being poor. In reality she was afraid of looking poor. Later she grew more feed up and stopped being so concerned about how it looked, got out and never looking back.

As we jumped into semi-retirement we got some judgement and blow back from one of my siblings. He was worried that we were going to afford out lifestyle by "mooching" off my mom (whom we have more liquid assets than). He was really worried that we would impair he ability his ability to mooch. He just could not wrap his brain around the fact that we had 25-30 times expenses. I am sure he still doesnt believe it because he underestimates our net worth and grossly overestimates our expenses.

He is too busy looking prosperous to save any money. Not my problem

bradley

Post by bradley »

I wonder if this article is worth sharing on Facebook... maybe get a like or two ;) It definitely takes guts to write it, though the author's intentions may not be so benevolent (which isn't a bad[i/] thing, per say). However long it took him to realize this, at least it may help other people realize it sooner.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

jennypenny wrote:What I'm really struck by in all of these stories is the helplessness. Why can't people learn this for themselves?
brute believes that human free will and agency is greatly overrated. it functions a bit like that physics example of an extra dimension when pushing a marble through a garden hose. the marble is in 3 dimensional space, yet cannot move freely in all 3 dimensions. brute imagines this is what human free will is like to a degree.

if one had a look at most humans and if they ever exercise free will beyond picking from a few suggested options, one would likely conclude there is no free will in any of them.

@jacob:

fragmented reality again: for most humans, all the statements jacob made are "effectively/subjectively true". if a human doesn't know about stocks, and doesn't even know anyone who knows about stocks, the stock market in effect doesn't exist. therefore capital gains (since the 70) are non existent. the only real gains in income for that average danish person has probably been in the form of government-mandated welfare stuff. so the helplessness is true in their reality. they do not share jacob's reality. and yes, pushing humans from their comfortable home-reality to a new one in which they would've had options but didn't exercise them es going to be hard.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

bradley wrote:I wonder if this article is worth sharing on Facebook... maybe get a like or two ;) It definitely takes guts to write it, though the author's intentions may not be so benevolent (which isn't a bad[i/] thing, per say). However long it took him to realize this, at least it may help other people realize it sooner.

fyi, someone already shared it on the MMM page.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

BRUTE wrote:
jennypenny wrote:What I'm really struck by in all of these stories is the helplessness. Why can't people learn this for themselves?
if one had a look at most humans and if they ever exercise free will beyond picking from a few suggested options, one would likely conclude there is no free will in any of them.

fragmented reality again: for most humans, all the statements jacob made are "effectively/subjectively true". if a human doesn't know about stocks, and doesn't even know anyone who knows about stocks, the stock market in effect doesn't exist. therefore capital gains (since the 70) are non existent. the only real gains in income for that average danish person has probably been in the form of government-mandated welfare stuff. so the helplessness is true in their reality. they do not share jacob's reality. and yes, pushing humans from their comfortable home-reality to a new one in which they would've had options but didn't exercise them es going to be hard.
This phenomenon is discussed at length in "Thinking, Fast and Slow" as "WYSIATI", or "What You See Is All There Is". It refers to the human tendency to fixate on what is immediately presented and only pick from those alternatives, or only construct narratives out of that information. It is heavily used in marketing and restaurant menus.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ArpK5HOzU

Just remember that most of life is not actually on the menu. :D

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

If there ever was a truly life-changing book, Thinking, Fast and Slow is it!