The Absurd Primacy of the Automobile in American Life

Your favorite books and links
henrik

The Absurd Primacy of the Automobile in American Life

Post by henrik »

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... fe/476346/
Considering the constant fatalities, rampant pollution, and exorbitant costs of ownership, there is no better word to characterize the car’s dominance than insane.
More than 80 cents of every dollar spent on gasoline is squandered by the inherent inefficiencies of the modern internal combustion engine. No part of daily life wastes more energy and, by extension, more money than the modern automobile.

Dragline

Re: The Absurd Primacy of the Automobile in American Life

Post by Dragline »

I seem to read an article almost exactly like this every year or two. But it is always an interesting exercise to look at the numbers and studies cited in anything like this and draw your own conclusions.

I thought the observation that common and diffuse causes of mortality rarely get the attention they deserve, while singular events of low probability and high shock value invariably capture the headlines, imagination and societal impetus, was a good one. This is the same discussion we were having yesterday over here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7487

I don't think its any surprise that we use autos so much given the public support for them in terms of road building, city designs and relatively low taxes on fuel. The more surprising factor is that this car culture appears to be in somewhat of a decline in the past couple decades, at least among younger people and in many urban areas, while a bicycle culture may be ascendant.

Some the statistics cited were poorly done, though. In particular, that MIT study seems to be a complete piece of crap, given it does not appear to have controlled for any other causes of death in the areas identified (confounding statistical factors). So that "53,000 extra deaths meme" tells me this author just has an agenda (which I tend to agree with in part) and is looking for "shocking numbers" to support it. It detracts from the credibility of the author in my view.

The article also omits many other statistical inconvenient truths, including the decline in auto accident deaths that is well documented: http://www.alertdriving.com/home/fleet- ... l-60-years But I suppose that is also to be expected.

sky

Post by sky »

People value the ability to go where they want to go, despite the destruction created by the auto transportation system.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Since going essentially 90% car free*, its quite apparent how 'insane' car culture is. The costs (maintence more than fuel), the dangers, the wasted energy, its all there. It fits with most everything else that is held 'good' these days. I enjoy the magic carpet ride of the city bus taking me to work and back, although I doubt the energy savings a bit. Even DW commented the other day about my riding the bus being a major benefit to us financially and just in general well-being. My stress levels are 1% of what they were just over a year ago and it's simply for giving up the personal automobile as primary transport.

*I still have yet to sell my car but its been sitting since last summer. I haven't started it once and two tires are flat at this point. We use the truck for once a week excursions. Eventually this will be bi-weekly or semi-monthly I think.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@cmonkey - I'm far from a car expert, but if you plan to sell the car, you should at least run the engine/drive it from time to time to prevent moving parts from locking/gumming up. You can add Stabil to the fuel tank to prevent the fuel from going bad.

henrik

Post by henrik »

If the price of gasoline and the vehicles that burn it actually reflected the true costs and damage they inflict, the common car would go extinct. Gasoline would cost way more than $10 a gallon.
I found this statement a little naive. Where I live, just 2 years ago gasoline cost ~16 US$ per gallon at today's exchange rate and adjusted by the difference in PPP$ per capita household income (it's at around $12/gallon now). There may have been some reduction in driving at that time, but it was not noticeable on the street.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Wouldn't economies of scale, mass production (and lower wages) offset the costs of transportation? I can't imagine cottage industries making knives and forks. Company towns would have boring names like Ford Bike Plant 1.

Then again, a car allows for lower density population, aka a larger house.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@jacob, yes, I just haven't cared enough and am busy with other things. The car has over 200K miles on it and was having issues before I stopped driving it. The most I could probably get for it is is under 1K so it might just be a scrapper at this point.

I think this post was motivation enough to get crackin' on selling it!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, its actually not that hard. We had an old minivan and all we did was put a "For Sale" sign in the windshield with a phone number and park it on a well-traveled street nearby. We were able to sell it within a week to a nice Mongolian immigrant couple who literally brought a grocery bag of cash with them that we ended up counting out on the kitchen table.

I would just get the thing running, pump up the tires and put it out there.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Looking at Craigslist, there are dozens listed every day around here! I might have to list on several sites.

We also live on a busy road so I can park it on the front lawn with a big '4 SALE' in the windows.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I have been carless for 3 years and its been so positive on every level. It was a financial decision but I am enjoying the health benefits more and they are a big part of what will stop me buying a car again.
Someone mentioned marijuana at my work the other day and one lady started harping on about how she hates drugs and they ruin young peoples lives. I thought it was slightly over the top and I was thinking that cars ruin so many peoples lives. From death to permanent disability to diabetes, weight gain, spinal problems, smog, not to mention financial problems occasionally caused. Its funny how people can demonise unconventional things and fail to notice the dangers of more mundane things.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Cannot argue this one. Absurd is the word.

I've dealt with the car expense by driving an old car.

It wastes fuel and destroys the planet. I do acknowledge that. It also sits in my garage a lot of the time.

I cross the greater Los Angeles area once a week and it really kicks ass to do it in my car (late at night or between 10am-12pm). I'm not sure how to do this using public transit and still have the ability to haul a couple of Costco sized boxes of Depends and baby wipes for my mom. It's an imperfect tool for a less than perfect world.

Cmonkey your car is so old you probably aren't losing much on keeping it around. Sell it at a cheap price on Craigslist and it'll disappear fast. I store my mom's car non opped in her driveway. I start it once every two months. Hydraulics in auto transmissions and breaks have a bad habit of getting stuck so I work the gears and brakes a bit. I also circulate HVAC fluids by running the heater and AC simultaneously to avoid corrosion in the evaporator and heating coil. Now how's that for a waste of fuel? Beats swapping an evaporator.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

henrik wrote: I found this statement a little naive. Where I live, just 2 years ago gasoline cost ~16 US$ per gallon at today's exchange rate and adjusted by the difference in PPP$ per capita household income (it's at around $12/gallon now). There may have been some reduction in driving at that time, but it was not noticeable on the street.
+1

Where I live, gas is currently $4.60/gallon. In "nearby" (70-100 mi) communities, gas is anywhere from $7-12/gal. Almost everyone has a car or some type of motorized vehicle. Even though most of these areas have less than 20 miles of roads.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

And although it's a minor point within the article, transportation is not the leading cause of climate change. Livestock and all related to it is. It is extremely difficult to get people to give up the idea of having a car. But I think that it is just as difficult, maybe even more so, to get people to give up meat or other animal products. Even moderately. These two fused together formed a death sentence in terms of climate change. Meat and potatoes with a glass of milk and a couple cars in the garage. Because after all, the American way of life is non-negotiable.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Sclass wrote:Cmonkey your car is so old you probably aren't losing much on keeping it around. Sell it at a cheap price on Craigslist and it'll disappear fast.
Yea its a 98 grand prix with 3800 engine in it so it'll go a lot longer than 200K. Tranny is good, but it needed a tune up really bad and the suspension was shot. Kelly blue book puts it at a value of 1000-1200, so that's something. I paid 5K for it 11 years ago. I am paying about 189/year for insurance and 101/year for registration.

The main reason is that I just have no use for it anymore and it is a huge eyesore sitting in the back of our property. I'm trying to build a beautiful garden back there. ;)

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

theanimal wrote:And although it's a minor point within the article, transportation is not the leading cause of climate change. Livestock and all related to it is..
Cement production is pretty bad too. Shame about the burgers.