Interview with Alvin Starkman from Mezcal Educational Tours in Oaxaca

Your favorite books and links
EMJ

Interview with Alvin Starkman from Mezcal Educational Tours in Oaxaca

Post by EMJ »

"The third and final flash which crystalized the decision was in the course of a meeting with our financial advisor; he said that we could probably afford to retire in Mexico, by that time being debt free and anticipating that our daughter would be finished high school and ready to enter university when we moved. We had been saving for her higher education, so that was looked after.

So, it was that initial fantasy, not enjoying practicing law, and affordability. About a year before the move a very close friend died of cancer, affirming for us that it was the correct decision for the correct time.

So we bought a piece of land and built our dream home into the side of a mountain, about a 10 minute drive from downtown Oaxaca."

"Don’t wait until the appropriate age to retire. You never know what tomorrow will bring." (!)
http://www.legalnomads.com/2016/03/mezc ... rkman.html

Ego

Re: Interview with Alvin Starkman from Mezcal Educational Tours in Oaxaca

Post by Ego »

That was good. I like how he found a way to deal fairly with his customers and with the local people.

Virtually every day I work I am being thanked profusely by my clients, and by the Mexicans with whom I have developed healthy working relationships. Sure, while practicing law occasionally I would receive a thank you note or a bottle around Christmas, but that happened no more than about a half dozen times a year.

No one else in Oaxaca does what I do, meaning that I teach people mezcal in a non-touristy fashion, not trying to convince anyone to buy anything. If my clients don’t buy then I do, as a thank you to my producer friends who are kind enough to allow me to explain how mezcal is made and my clients to sample. These tours help people learn and hopefully become passionate about the spirit and thus an aficionado.