Borrowing library books/movies online

Your favorite books and links
GandK

Borrowing library books/movies online

Post by GandK »

A lot of libraries have state-specific or library-system-specific downloads available. This thread is for general resources.

Americans and Canadians who have a library card: if your local library is associated with Hoopla, you can use your email address and library card number to borrow materials electronically via their web site or app. I see about half our book club selections available as either ebook or audio book selections there. They also have a selection of comics, movies, music and TV shows available for borrowing. The number of downloads you get per month is controlled by your particular library, so if you want more, complain to them :D . Tech: you can view all Hoopla-borrowed items on Windows/Mac, and there are apps for iThings and for Android. Bonus: on Android, at least, Hoopla's app can pipe your borrowed media to a Chromecast.

Also, for people in every country: a lot of books out of US copyright (almost always the longest) can be found for free download to your reader of choice at Project Gutenberg.

If you know of other good free and legal book sources (let's not get Jacob into copyright/DMCA trouble) please be so kind as to link to them below.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Borrowing library books/movies online

Post by jacob »

GandK wrote:(let's not get Jacob into copyright/DMCA trouble)
Hehe, thanks much. Sometimes I kill threads for this very CYA reason. About once a year I have to trace down some ancient thread because some lawyer is emailing me for a takedown.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

soapdawg

Post by soapdawg »

Many libraries will also offer eMagazines through a service like Zinio or Flipster. Provide access to databases with all kinds of helpful knowledge and free access to information on topics you are hoping to research, including practice tests for career/professional type tests, like nursing, dental assisting, etc., access to genealogy resources if that is your thing.

Some even offer access to online teaching sites, like treehouse.com and lynda.com

While not an online resource, many libraries offer passes to local or state parks/museums/etc.

Check out what your public library is offering on its web site, you may be surprised.

Sorry for my promotion of libraries, it is over now. Bonus points if anyone can guess what I do for a living.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

Most of my favorites have been covered already. The local library here has a ton of stuff on Overdrive.

Pixel of Ink is a little hit or miss, but does find a lot of free kindle books.
http://www.pixelofink.com/

The Baen Free Library has some free sci fi / fantasy books available. (It's the publisher's website so I assume it is legit).
http://www.baen.com/categories/free-library.html