Without bounds Rv living doco

Your favorite books and links
Did

Without bounds Rv living doco

Post by Did »

Apologies if this is old news but I really enjoyed this Rv doco - Without bounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Without bounds Rv living doco

Post by jacob »

I liked that!

Bob Well's site was one of my original inspirations for ERE. We currently do this [philosophy/attitude] in a brick house on a ~$400/month/person budget. It can be done in whatever form one desires. What matters is the attitude that's abundantly displayed here.

Some day we might replace the foundation with a set or wheels or a keel again.

Did

Post by Did »

We talk often and fondly about our time on the road (7 months). We will definitely do it again. The only difference is that we would include housesitting with our travel around the place. It is so much fun, and a break from the road. I'm writing this from a luxury house in Athlone, by a lake. My only chore is looking after the most beautiful dog you have ever met.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Prettier than this? https://www.instagram.com/p/KKPcJ/ (our dog)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I saw this a few months ago and I really enjoyed it as well. All of the folks in it look really healthy/happy as if they are just doing really well. I really loved the part where he pointed "right over there" at the the million dollar homes and pointed out how he has everything they have except the million dollar home payment :lol:

We saw a really old (almost European looking) RV today and I mentioned how it'd be fun to just live in that. Of course I'd need some land as well so I could take my chickens with. No way I'm doing this even thought its become trendy. I've seen how much they crap!

The DW almost agreed. Seems I'm rubbing off on her. I know the minimal living/throwing things out is starting to work.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

See, rabbits.

Did

Post by Did »

át jacob - I would think objectively yes although i see that little guy's charm.

at cmonkey - we have never been healthier nor happier than our time on the road. It is such an active lifestyle, and cooking is reduced to simple, healthy meals. Plus you are so relaxed but not veging out.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

Two thumbs up here. Thank you for sharing. Now I see where many of my kindred spirits are hanging out.
Has anyone ever seen a South American version of mobile living - a blog, video, etc?

C40

Post by C40 »

I really like this documentary. I just wish they would've used more positive sounding music! I've tried to re-watch it recently but the music just kills the mood for me.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

Thanks for getting me to watch this again. In the processes of getting an RV restored so it's always inspirational to see people who are out there living it every day.
almostthere wrote:Has anyone ever seen a South American version of mobile living - a blog, video, etc?
I know of a lot of North-Americans-in-South-America blogs, does that count?

And plus 1 for bob wells' site, one of my favorites for ERE'ish things.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I loved that documentary. Feel free to post it as many times as you like, Did. :D

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

C40 wrote:I really like this documentary. I just wish they would've used more positive sounding music! I've tried to re-watch it recently but the music just kills the mood for me.
:lol: We thought the same thing when we first watched it. The music makes it sound like an episode of Frontline. I still like it though.

I wish they didn't have to be so stealthy about what they were doing.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

luxagraf wrote:Thanks for getting me to watch this again. In the processes of getting an RV restored so it's always inspirational to see people who are out there living it every day.
How hard are they to restore? My mom and her husband lived in one (5th wheel trailer) for years and it wore out. I couldn't see how to do what should be simple things like replace the door. It's not put together like stuff on my house that I can get to. Their roof frequently leaked, too.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

enigmaT120 wrote:
luxagraf wrote:Thanks for getting me to watch this again. In the processes of getting an RV restored so it's always inspirational to see people who are out there living it every day.
How hard are they to restore? My mom and her husband lived in one (5th wheel trailer) for years and it wore out. I couldn't see how to do what should be simple things like replace the door. It's not put together like stuff on my house that I can get to. Their roof frequently leaked, too.
It all depends on what you start with. Generally I would say you're right. Most RVs are essentially junk, especially anything made post 1980. I don't know that you could realistically restore those.

I bought a 1969 Dodge Travco because 1) it looked super cool 2) It's made of fiberglass. Fiberglass lasts, rarely leaks and it's usually pretty obvious if it does (e.g., there's an actual hole in the body). So there was no real exterior restoration. I had to replace the sub floor in a few spots, but that's no different than what you'd do in a house (except that you need marine grade plywood, which is pricey). Otherwise it's just an interior re-do, refinishing cabinets, rebuilding a bed, adding more insulation, new plumbing, wood paneling, etc. All house-type repairs/building that I've done in the past.

I spent at little more than I should have probably and there is no ROI, just I. All told I will be in about $12,000 I think (so far $9,000, guestimating materials cost to finish at about 3k).

What I radically underestimated was the amount of time everything would take.

C40

Post by C40 »

almostthere wrote:Two thumbs up here. Thank you for sharing. Now I see where many of my kindred spirits are hanging out.
Has anyone ever seen a South American version of mobile living - a blog, video, etc?
Here's a few to get you started:

One of our regular forum posters who has traveled a TON spent some time with his wife or S/O traveling around South America in a Vanagon. They wrote a book about it: http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Eyed-Wandere ... 0976175606. They are so awesome at (semi?) retirement that an insurance company made a commercial about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP3B0WC ... u.be&t=15s (I'm not sure if he wants his forum name linked with the book or not?)

Tons of youtube videos from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/kombilife/videos

Another book/blog: http://www.drivenachodrive.com/[/quote]

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

Thanks C40 for the links. Following the links from the amazon books to other book, it seems that Mexico and Central America are pretty well traveled by van. South America seems to be less written about. I do live in an undisclosed country in SA and I certainly do see young latino traveler types in VW vans, so it is possible.