Haidt: How Capitalism Changes Conscience

Your favorite books and links
Ego

Haidt: How Capitalism Changes Conscience

Post by Ego »

Our world is changing fast—ecologically, economically, demographically, and in so many other ways. Organizations such as the Center for Humans and Nature—and online forums such as this one—exist in part because most of us are disoriented by these changes. We want to talk with each other about what it all means. We’re especially confused about the ethics of it all—what should we celebrate? What should we lament and resist? But the very act of making ethical evaluations is complicated by the fact that these rapid changes change our ethics. How can we plan for the future when we can rest assured that our children will see things differently than we do—especially in Asia and other regions that are embracing capitalism and the transformations it brings.

More here http://www.humansandnature.org/culture- ... conscience

GandK

Re: Haidt: How Capitalism Changes Conscience

Post by GandK »

@Ego:

Have you read What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets by Michael Sandel? To me, it's the logical extension of this article. That is, the article states that capitalism has a moral impact on society, and the book asks how much of an impact capitalism should have. I thought it was a great read. It pushed me to reexamine my (fiscally conservative) beliefs and to ask myself if they really align with my own morals.

Here's his 14 minute TED talk about the book.

Ego

Re: Haidt: How Capitalism Changes Conscience

Post by Ego »

I have not read it. My library has it so it now on the list if books to read when we get back. Thanks.