Book or other quality resource for learning how modern appliances/technology work?

Your favorite books and links
TopHatFox

Book or other quality resource for learning how modern appliances/technology work?

Post by TopHatFox »

I remember finding a book that detailed how modern technology works, with diagrams and all. It features vacuum cleaners, toasters, ovens, washing machines, cell phones, pavement roads, cars, bicycles, clothing, and generally many consumer goods that are taken for granted by many of its users.

I'd like to find this book again, or something like it. My intention is to learn how the things I use everyday work: stuff like hot plates, mini-fridges, smart phones, light bulbs, headphones, stick-built houses, clothes, laptops, audio amplifiers, bread machines, ID/card scanners, and the underlying principles on which they're based.

Any ideas?

Scrubby

Re: Book or other quality resource for learning how modern appliances/technology work?

Post by Scrubby »

Lot's of books like that turn up if you search for "repairing appliances" at book stores. "Troubleshooting and Repairing Major Appliances" seems to be the best seller.

Riggerjack

Re: Book or other quality resource for learning how modern appliances/technology work?

Post by Riggerjack »

You can learn anything they Google. If you don't mind the anachronism, there was a pbs series called "a day in the life of a machine" breaks down what it is, how it works, and often how it is made.