Books to bring on a deserted island.

Your favorite books and links
EdithKeeler

Re: Books to bring on a deserted island.

Post by EdithKeeler »

Can i just bring my Kindle and a solar charger? I think it will take me 10 year to read all the books on my Kindle right now...

OK, I'd bring:
--The complete works of William Shakespeare (including sonnets)
--Capital, by Piketty, because that's probably the only way I'll ever getting around to reading it
--Nah, second thought, a complete set of Rex Stout books. More entertaining.
--A complete set of David Sedaris (except the last one, which I didn't like) for when I need a laugh.

Ego

Post by Ego »

C40 wrote:
jennypenny wrote:At least that (D&D) is a game. What's with all of the textbooks?? It's a deserted island people, not prison. I'm dumping Beowulf and the Brothers K and bringing the Kama Sutra instead to liven things up. :D
Funny - I had assumed I would be stranded alone on this deserted island and it took your Kama Sutra choice to point out that others would assume they are not alone on the island. :D :D
There is no better way to induce MacGyver-style ingenuity than to land on a deserted island with the Kama Sutra alone. :shock:

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

"The Complete Works of O. Henry" - Yes, it's one volume.
"Poems in Praise of Practically Nothing"
And some book form of the "Rough Science" TV show...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Okay, if I'm not going to be alone, I would prefer the 1972 edition of "The Joy of Sex" to the "Kama Sutra", and 1973 "Three Days of the Condor" Robert Redford character (except maybe a couple inches taller) for my companion, if I only get one.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Huh, I thought we were all going to the deserted island together. If I have to go alone, I'm still bringing the Kama Sutra. I'm a resourceful gal. I'll figure it out. :D

I like 7wannabe5's idea of whom she would bring with her to the island. I'm more curious about that than what books people would bring. For me, they'd have to be as keen to read Norton's Anthology of American Literature as they were the Kama Sutra. Hmm...

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

7Wannabe5 wrote: Then I was solicited for prostitution on my way home, even though I was dressed appropriately for a visit to the library (hair in bun, pink and white seersucker blouse, black patent leather Birkenstocks.)
I don't know. If you left off any skirt or pants, then it's understandable that potential johns could misunderstand your vocation.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Chad wrote:We need dice!
Or our first project can be to use the stuff in the math book derive a pseudorandom number generator. :P

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

My first reaction is to take the question too literally and bring books on field medicine, botany, and carpentry techniques. But getting to the core query, I think JP is onto something. If I'm honest I'd probably prefer this to any great work of literature.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

JasonR wrote:... I don't want my real comics getting dirty on this lecherous island
I know, right? Apparently I can't leave these people alone for five minutes on some island before it turns into some kind of orgy :o

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Perhaps we need a new rule to set aside... human nature. :lol:

I think I'd personally get bored with most written texts over time. A good collection of art history books with color images of the great works of art would keep my interest. And assuming the desert island would have a fantastic view of the night sky, a good book on astronomy with guides to the stars would also be nice. Recommendations accepted for either.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:Haha, now you're talking. Maybe we can talk someone into bringing The Joy of Home Distilling and then we can really have some fun. :D
That is a really good idea. I'm very disappointed I didn't think of it first. Maybe that's my damn rule following accountant side of me painting in the lines. I hate when I do that. I'm definitely ditching the Uplift saga for The Joy of Home Distilling.
I know, right? Apparently I can't leave these people alone for five minutes on some island before it turns into some kind of orgy :o
No alcohol makes the first orgy awkward, and...
a good book on astronomy with guides to the stars would also be nice.
...makes the stars ever so slightly less "deep."