Where do you get your news?

Your favorite books and links
henrik

Re: Where do you get your news?

Post by henrik »

I work in an organisation and in a field that are featured in the news almost daily. It is scary how the news coverage mostly fails(*) in both informing and explaining about the events and developments. I might simply conclude that it's specific to this topic and be done with it, except that I've seen it once before, in a different field and with a different topic. This experience makes me want to agree with Jacob -- I don't think you can really *learn* anything from the news.

(*) This is not necessarily only the journalists' fault, their sources and their audience can be blamed just as much.

PS. Those with an IT background might be familiar with what I mean if they've ever seen a hacking scene in a Hollywood movie. It's just a scene and a part of the story for the director and for most of the audience, but for you it sort of spoils the whole thing, doesn't it?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

henrik wrote:
jacob wrote:You can learn a lot more by inserting a 5 year delay. Start reading any news paper archive from 5+ years ago.
This might be really interesting. I subscribed to the Economist for a few years, it is delivered once a week. I was always a few numbers behind, so I was effectively reading news from three weeks to a month ago. A quite different experience from the instantly delivered news most people seem to "need".
I can second this, that it is a different experience. I have been irregularly reading The Economic Times with a one day delay (on the next day's evening) since 2009 after my father used to bring it home at night after work. I don't have much use for it but read it when I got bored of studying.

bryan

Post by bryan »

jacob wrote:ZeroHedge
I can't keep up (filter out the crap fast enough) with that one. I don't mind reading if linked to an article, though.

DId y'all see that ZH was listed as (at least echoing) Russian Propaganda?

Along similar lines, you have:
  1. https://www.sovereignman.com/ - a lot of articles are really just advertisements for their services, but occasionally there is a good article on current economic events. Ticks me off every sentence is a new paragraph..
  2. http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/ (about: 1, 2) - new kid on the block. Haven't gone through the back-log yet but so far some entertaining truth that isn't too nutters (think I've mostly read RE's articles). There seems to be a forum as well which I haven't dug into yet (though it seems some threads are curated, orienting towards news and can be subscribed to via RSS).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@bryan - ZH is like operating a powertool w/o the safety shield. They're about the fastest out there that is free/not a bloomberg terminal.

I see that Charles Hugh Smith is also listed there :?

Their FAQ suggests that they think that US propaganda^H^H^H"strategic communications efforts" only serve to "lawfully" support "democratic governance, human rights, economic equity, and the rule of law". It's those evil guys we have to worry about, not us good guys. There are also some very specific (for a random independent bunch of "concerned American citizens" anyway) suggestions about booting Russia out of the SWIFT system as a form of retribution.

I would also suggest that what we're getting from these two (ZH and CHS) is not news (ala facebook's "OMGWTFBBQ Hungry Hillary Tried To Eat A Baby But Tremendous Trump Came To The Rescue" share-bait) as much as analysis that is not exactly on the same page as anyone who believes that US foreign policy only serves to lawfully support democratic governance, human rights, economic equity, and the rule of law.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

fiby41 wrote:
henrik wrote:
jacob wrote:You can learn a lot more by inserting a 5 year delay. Start reading any news paper archive from 5+ years ago.
This might be really interesting. I subscribed to the Economist for a few years, it is delivered once a week. I was always a few numbers behind, so I was effectively reading news from three weeks to a month ago. A quite different experience from the instantly delivered news most people seem to "need".
I can second this, that it is a different experience.
I second your second, fiby41. When we lived in the woods for 10 years, I also subscribed to the Economist (actually, my brother subscribed for me because he was afraid that my brain was rotting so far from civilization). Most crises were past by the time I read about them, and the delay was comforting.* Kind of like letting the radiator cool before you take the cap off. We didn't even know about 9/11 until I called a friend to wish her happy birthday.

Now that we have the full complement of electrons and OTA TV signals, DH often watches the news from 4:00 to 7:00. FIrst it's local news, then BBC, then PBS, then some Japanese news station (in English). He has all sorts of opinions about what's going on in the world. I find it depressing to care too much.

* Extra delay, since the magazine came to our PO box in the nearest town and might not get picked up for a week or two.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

I don't know of any "news" sources, but I try to distill my news from reading about the same story from various propaganda outlets. For example, read about a situation in the Washington Post or NY Times, then also read about it on Zero Hedge, assume both sides are skewing it heavily in one direction, and that the reality lies somewhere in the middle.

The crazy conservative sites like Breitbart and the Libertarian or alt-right bloggers, will often report details or perspectives that MSM leaves out, and vice versa, so I can average them into a more likely picture than either side. For example, I didn't know who Steve Bannon was. MSM told me he was an anti-semitic white nationlist. Breitbart told me he was a friend to the Jewish people and champion for peace. A little far apart to be useful, but at least I know he's not likely to be either of those things. Strikes me as a rich libertarian doomer who doesn't like immigration and sometimes says offensive things.

Another aggregator I like is Rice Farmer. Slightly less tin-foil-hat than ZH (slightly).