Resources and recommended listening

Your favorite books and links
BRUTE

Re: Resources and recommended listening

Post by BRUTE »

@tylerrr: maybe related, what about spaced repetition systems? brute has been wondering if they work for CNS based motor skills, not just vocabulary-type factlets.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

BRUTE wrote:@tylerrr: maybe related, what about spaced repetition systems? brute has been wondering if they work for CNS based motor skills, not just vocabulary-type factlets.
Yes, exactly, the book claims that spacing out exercises instead of condensing a practice of only one skill, repetitiously, is just as effective for motor skill type learning.

For example, when I practice drums, I do one exercise for no more than 15 minutes, then I move onto something else and eventually, circle back to the first thing i practiced. Studies show that even spacing out a practice with a day in between is far more effective than drilling something over and over continuously.

For some reason, when you couple a skill or factoid with other related skills/practices or factoids, it deepens the long-term understanding and memorization.

If you drill something continuously and get it mastered, then move on, studies show you forget most of what you mastered or memorized later on....

Force yourself to mentally retrieve the info. with tests, quizzes of what you just read, or write about what you just read and try to explain it in writing to more effectively memorize it long-term.

The statistical improvement is significant. They studies athletes, medical school students, etc.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

interesting. brute shall acquire this book.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Episode of Ideas with Paul Kennedy from CBCradio on The Degrowth Paradigm. Features Jim Merkel (Radical Simplicity). I liked all of it, but particularly the bit @22-25 minutes.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

jennypenny wrote:I love podcasts. I think it's the old-timey radio aspect that appeals to me (I have a 1937 Blaupunkt in my office that I still listen to). Just a sampling of my monthly list ...

David McRaney's podcast
I have been realizing for some time now the value of surrounding myself with folks that are smarter than myself and David made the cut today. Really fantastic stuff on his show. I really enjoyed the cast on selling out, particularly the realization that counter culture can act as an engine for the mainstream capitalist culture that is so despised by the counter culture.

It also got me pondering how the ERE culture fits into that. How would an ERE counter culture feed capitalism. Maybe it isn't big enough or shouldn't even be considered a counter culture. I seem to remember a discussion on this.

Thanks for sharing your list and feel free to update with any similar listening.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

cmonkey wrote:How would an ERE counter culture feed capitalism.
high savings rates lead to more capital?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

cmonkey wrote: How would an ERE counter culture feed capitalism. Maybe it isn't big enough or shouldn't even be considered a counter culture. I seem to remember a discussion on this.
Any oestensibly counter-culture movement can feed capitalism via consumptive orthodoxies and signalling behaviors. One of my favorite examples from the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q

I agree that this isn't big enough to make any difference in the greater scheme of things.

But it does reveal the fundamental difference between a general concept: "we just consume less in general" and a a rule: "we consume x, not y".

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I thought we liked capitalism.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'll add Malcolm Gladwell's podcast to the list. I haven't been the biggest fan of Gladwell's writing but I love the podcast. Rich Roll sent out a link to the Hallelujah episode today (one of my favs) which reminded me to add it to the thread.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Kunstler was on Martenson's podcast last week. Nothing earth shattering, but an enjoyable conversation.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/1 ... ruining-us

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The Self-Sufficient Life has a new podcast. The traffic jam episode has some nice discussions of frugality and simplicity, but they're all pretty relevant. One episode is about a woman who makes $250K raising and writing about chickens. The podcast is obviously geared towards homesteading and rural life, but it's also about entrepreneurship, side hustles, and earning an income online.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sorry to post another Self-Sufficient Life podcast, but today's is with Chris Martenson. It was interesting to hear more about Martenson's back story and how/why he developed the Crash Course.

C40

Post by C40 »

I was on a podcast. It’s called Fighting Failure. The podcast is mostly meant for people considering or making entrepreneurial efforts, but he story would be useful for his target audience. My episode can be heard here: Fighting Failure Episode 6 – A Path to Freedom. We talk mostly about personal finance, early retirement, and reducing spending. It’s 30 minutes long. It’s a pretty basic conversation. Those already familiar with ERE/FIRE won’t learn much new, or anything at all. If you’d like to put a voice to the name, here you go.
Last edited by C40 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

http://www.scienceofsuccess.co/show-not ... y-marshall

Found this podcast recently (Thanks, Dragline), and have been perusing. This episode has an interesting discussion about applications of the 80/20 rule.
The Pareto Principle is recursive, like a fractal. Which means 40% of your goal progress in any given year is achieved in a single day. (Anecdotal example; I agreed to sell all my vacation last year to a coworker.) And taking lots of high risk bets (Taleb risk barbell) means you accept failure 80% of the time.

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

Two finance podcasts:
Adventures in Finance: A real vision podcast http://adventuresinfinance.realvision.l ... om/website
From the guys that make Real Vision TV. They usually look at topics from more than one angle. In their last podcast about bitcoin which was just ok, they had Jesse Felder in their segment "Things I got wrong". Turns out he now has a podcast too (only three episodes so far):
Superinvestors and the Art of Worldly Wisdom https://www.thefelderreport.com/podcast/
His latest show with Steven Bregman (The greatest bubble ever: Passive ETF investing) was fascinating and gave me
1. reassurance that I am not a complete idiot for holding cash (because to me everything seems overvalued right now: stocks, bonds, real estate)
2. ideas on where to look for investments (hint: companies that are not favored by ETFs/have large inside ownership)

GandK

Post by GandK »

A recent Neil Howe interview on Macro Voices (a podcast run by a couple of hedge fund managers). The interview is mostly Fourth Turning related, but this one has more of an emphasis on the economic side of turnings and some market and other financial observations and predictions for the short- to medium-term:

https://www.macrovoices.com/293-neil-ho ... -to-arrive

[Interview starts at about the 15-minute mark; prior to that it's chatter about present market fluctuations. The after-interview discussion is worth listening to.]

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

I second GandK's recommendation of the Macro Voices podcast that is a good one

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

8 part podcast series on shipping containers

https://medium.com/containers

Transcripts are available in the link. I read rather than listened, but it seems to be styled in the NPR format..so plenty of fluff but still worthwhile.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Has anyone been listening to Merriman's new podcast? I kinda like it. It's basic stuff but it's interesting to hear his perspective. Warning ... he talks slowly if that annoys you.

https://paulmerriman.com/podcasts/

edit: I've corrected his name three times and stupid autocorrect keeps changing it. WTF??? It's a name. I hate autocorrect.

wolf

Post by wolf »

https://radicalpersonalfinance.com/dont ... your-life/

Radical Personal Finance - Podcast 516 – Don’t Let Your Pursuit of Money Ruin Your Life "Money is important. But it’s not #1."

It is mostly about putting money in the right perspective, compared with relationships. I recommend listening it for people who tend to have an obsession with money (numbers).