BC #7: Zero to Maker

Your favorite books and links
Felix

BC #7: Zero to Maker

Post by Felix »

Synopsis:
Are you possessed by the urge to invent, design, and make something that others enjoy, but don’t know how to plug into the Maker movement? In this book, you’ll follow author David Lang’s headfirst dive into the Maker world and how he grew to be a successful entrepreneur. You’ll discover how to navigate this new community, and find the best resources for learning the tools and skills you need to be a dynamic maker in your own right.

Lang reveals how he became a pro maker after losing his job, and how the experience helped him start OpenROV—a DIY community and product line focused on open source undersea exploration. It all happened once he became an active member of the Maker culture. Ready to take the plunge into the next Industrial Revolution? This guide provides a clear and inspiring roadmap.

*Take an eye-opening journey from unskilled observer to engaged maker-entrepreneur
*Enter the Maker community to connect with experts and pick up new skills
*Use a template for building a maker-based entrepreneurial lifestyle
*Learn from the organizer of the first-ever Maker Startup Weekend
*Be prepared for exciting careers of the future

Review:

What I liked about the book was the author's passion about creating things, hacking things and recombining things as well as his optimism about the process. Even though I would have liked a bit more of a critical perspective, I found it catching. I was disappointed a bit by the book in its lack of detail. I would have liked more nitty-gritty info on the actual technical processes and I would have liked more info on the author's own project. It seems to me that the author simply lists a lot of resources one could go to with the default answer being to go to a "makerspace" and lots of personal anecdotes on what happened at some of these makerspaces or to go to google and youtube. I found that to be rather unsatisfactory as an answer. Also, while I understand the book is called zero-to-maker, written for make magazine, I repeatedly thought to myself "If he says "maker" one more f*ing time, ..." (cue Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) while reading the book.

However, the book provides quite a list of resources and to some degree an evaluation of what one can use them for, often with examples. I was unaware of Quirky, for example, and many of the online resources for parts and descriptions of projects. I also liked that he gave some information on "going pro", even though it was in the style of the rest of the book.

To some degree I had the impression that he wrote a lot of things simply to fluff up the book. I learned that the book came from a kickstarter project after a personal zero-to-maker column for make:magazine in an attempt to switch gears as a suddenly unemployed economist. It seems that with this set of boundary conditions, it makes sense that a glowingly positive review of maker culture with less focus on the techical side was the result.
The book hence was a fast read and gave more motivation than information which probably is not bad by itself, but it simply was not what I expected based on the pitch in the subtitle.

I think in general the maker attitude he describes fits in nicely with the ERE rennaissance man ideal. He even criticized the buy-and-throw-away culture. I also liked how he described the process of making itself as something intrinsically satisfying and empowering and I would also subscribe to his view that one learns faster with a personally meaningful project than in a class room. Reading the book has given me more appreciation of the creativity and meaning involved in personally making things instead of buying them, something that goes beyond the mere price difference between raw materials and final product.

Also, the story of building a toaster from scratch, which I already knew, as well as the focus on the community aspect of learning and creating put the making into perspective. You are not an isolated individual creating things ex nihilo alone in your basement, but still part of a context of existing products, processes and a community to learn from and share with. I liked that part.

Rating: 6/10

Discussion questions:

1. What would you like to make, inspired by the book?
2. Since the book was too blue-eyed on this, what is your take on the amateur-kickstarter-business-model? Is it viable, overly optimistic, scammy?
3. Which of the resources he mentioned did you find interesting/useful? Do you know of others?
4. In which way does this maker-attitude fit in with an ERE lifestyle?

jennypenny

Re: BC #7: Zero to Maker

Post by jennypenny »

Hello, my name is jennypenny, and I’m a luddite. :lol:

Not really, but is there a term for a person who’s a luddite for simple tasks, but embraces technology for tasks that are harder or more complicated? I don’t see why resources are wasted on things like toasters. I also don’t understand why complicated tools are used—like in Lang’s example of making a Cribbage board—when hand-held tools would accomplish the job. Do increased speed and automation automatically make something better? OTOH, I'm all for using high-tech tools for things like surgery or building bridges that don't fall down. It's also great for tasks that aren't safe for humans like disarming a bomb or measuring radiation.

I found the build-a-toaster project amusing. (I’d never heard of it.) Who would build a toaster? Honestly, I don’t even understand why anyone needs a toaster in the first place. I thought the project showed what a complete waste of resources (brainpower and materials) toasters are. If the equipment can be replaced by a pair of tongs and a flame, is it necessary?

I wish Lang had asked each of the people he worked with what other skills they possessed. Do they approach their whole lives this way, or only their hobby? I’m impressed that they can build a robotic submarine, but can they fix a broken toilet? Change the oil in their car? Rewire a lamp? My point is that I would view the maker culture as simply an indulgent hobby if they don’t carry those skills home with them.

I have mixed feelings about the Maker movement Lang describes. In general, I think it’s great. One of my boys is immersed in it (his specialty is robotics), and I can see the possibilities. Maybe it’s my inner prepper coming through, but so much of what they do relies on complicated machinery, electrical power, access to computers, and plastic, that I wonder if they are viable long-term skills. I do applaud what they do. I guess I see different ways to define the term 'maker', and Lang is only talking about one kind.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the book even though I’m a little past the stage where Lang started. I like that he emphasizes the social aspect. I’m not good in social situations, but find it much easier when it involves shared goals or interests. I like that Lang encourages people to reach out. It’s so easy to find out what you need to know now, that I get frustrated when people don’t bother to investigate something beyond cursory googling.

I wonder what others thought about the chapter where he talks about persistent tinkering and nature v. nurture. Some people are born into the mindset. My DS is one of those. He was building things with his cheerios when he was a toddler. I don’t think it’s just that he’s a maker and the rest of us aren’t though. I constantly look at ‘garbage’ trying to figure out another use for it. I’m good at repurposing things, and DH is a fixer. I would think we’re all ‘makers’ in some way. Probably because we’re all ‘doers.’

To that point, I would say that anyone can learn to be a doer. When I was in middle school, home ec, mechanical drawing, and shop class were all required. Maybe that’s why I’m a doer? It’s so much harder to learn something as an adult. Lang is right that just getting started in the biggest hurdle.

On to the questions...

1. What would you like to make, inspired by the book?
Two things came to mind. First, I’ve been working on my own version of windowfarms that incorporate the movement of traditional hydroponic farms. This has inspired me to keep going. Second (totally unrelated to anything in the book), I’ve always wanted to blow glass. I might see if I can find someone to teach me.

2. Since the book was too blue-eyed on this, what is your take on the amateur-kickstarter-business-model? Is it viable, overly optimistic, scammy?
I’ve never understood the (American?) desire to turn every successful venture into a business. I’ve heard it countless times. Every time I make something that works or is attractive or innovative, inevitably someone says “You could sell those.” I don’t mind the kickstarter model for helping people who want to try and turn their projects into businesses. I guess I just don’t like the underlying presumption that one isn’t successful unless they can market their product.

3. Which of the resources he mentioned did you find interesting/useful? Do you know of others?
I have hackaday in my feed. I enjoy watching what they do. It’s a level I can understand. They also tend to use existing products instead of creating new ones, which appeals to my recycle/upcycle bent.

4. In which way does this maker-attitude fit in with an ERE lifestyle?
One idea that I thought came through in the book was that you don’t need a formal education to try something. I don’t recall if Lang used the term “apprentice” but that’s what came to mind for me. In this century though, your “master” can be on the other side of the world and only accessible through the internet and it still works. A combination of local and far-reaching masters is probably best.

I think it also applies to ERE if you think of it as Zero to Doer. Obviously, the more you can do for yourself, they less you need to spend money on. I also think that the time spent 'doing' things is time that you don't need to find a way to entertain yourself--another money sink.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

The toaster story reminded me of a 7th grade art project where they told us to bring in old appliances, take them apart and make art out of them. I brought in a toaster. But they didn't tell me I couldn't plug it back in and play with it while making the art project. So we lost power on the whole first floor that day. ;-)

I enjoyed the first half of the book where there was wonderment, especially the story about the cave. The second half seemed to drag on about making a hobby into a business, which I did not find quite as interesting. And the how to educate children chapter was just crap, as the usually are -- it seems like every non-fiction book these days has one of those chapters.

Questions:

1. Honestly, there is nothing I want to make right now. Maybe something to keep my gutters clean, or some kind of other little robot to go on the roof and clean things up or tell me where the holes are. I have a number of broken things that need fixing. But the idea of making a new-fangled product is no more interesting to me than buying it for the most part. I'd rather just MacGyver a pre-existing object for a new purpose. It would be fun to just play with a 3D printer, though. I toured a college with my eldest where they had that stuff and I kept thinking -- this would be really fun to play with.

2. It's fine, but I agree with jp in the sense that the business aspect of the book made it turn cold to me. Like all ideas on the internet, anything that becomes popular will be scammed. For kickstarter, here you go: http://www.dailydot.com/business/washin ... n-lawsuit/ Unfortunately, most websites do a bad job on fraud protection until after the problem becomes a big one. This happened to Ebay and to P2P lenders like Prosper. It is beginning to happen to Kickstarter, now. There will always be sociopaths or scammers, so every site/system (whether internet-based or not) needs to design to protect against them.

3. They were all interesting to me, but mostly in an anthropological way, since I cannot say that I use them. I liked the idea of the possibilities, though.

4. It does as both (a) an option to replace necessary items and (b) an idea about something interesting to get involved with. I liked the idea that true inventors are prepared to fail and just brush is off and keep going on their quest to enjoy the quest. Everything in life should be like that. But popular culture prefers snapshots of winning/losing. That's unfortunate.

Felix

Post by Felix »

On the business aspect: I just assumed it was because it was an American book. They always have a mandatory 'How to get rich with the information in this book' chapter, it seems.It doesn't matter matter if it's a book on mindfulness, hypnosis, gardening or Arduino programming.I didn't even recognize it as something odd. I find it more disturbing in meditation or psychology books.

I fully agree that it's awful in general.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

DNF and probably won't. Right now I'm about 1/5 away from the end, midway through the "making it a business" stuff, and it looks like all that's left after that is the "how to teach the kids" section, and I'll probably just pass. Honestly, I've been skimming since the halfway point anyway, looking for things that grab my interest.

I too found the beginning to be the most interesting part, particularly the treasure hunt in the cave. The rest was something of a formulaic chore, and definitely felt padded to me. "Then I met X and Y, the inventors (or makers, just to piss Felix off) of Z..."

I guess I was expecting something more informational and less (auto)biographical, but given the other pop non-fiction we've read so far I guess I shouldn't. I'm beginning to share Jacob's bias toward textbooks over general "non-fiction".

4/10 for me, for the interesting nuggets buried in the chaff. Even if I ever became interested in this kind of stuff, this is probably not something I would return to--except maybe to look through the bibliography and other resources.

Questions:
1. What would I like to make? Honestly, nothing. At least nothing of the 3D printing/plastic/robotic/electrical engineering sort as emphasized in the book. Probably why it never really hooked me. Truth be told, I found myself almost unconsciously applying this book to my writing vocation* instead; maybe it was my subconscious method of keeping it relevant. I tried to generalize it to all creative endeavors rather than the very narrow way that Lang defines a "maker" (definitely agree with Jenny on that).

*On that note, the story of the aspiring writer who gave up and turned to making knives actually depressed me, which I doubt was the intention; but I'm probably just projecting.

Things like "doing it together" became relevant advice for me; I would like to find a writers' group where I can have my work critiqued and learn from and teach others.

In this light especially, the most relevant and memorable part of the book for me was where he discussed the "1,000 true fans/100 true believers" concept. A maker can earn a living if he has 1,000 truly dedicated fans who seek out his work and buy it religiously. In order to find the 1,000 true fans, you first have to have about 100 true believers, who not only support your product, but support you as a person and evangelize your work to the true fans. (You know: "Then they told two friends... and they told two friends... and they told two friends...")

I think this makes a lot of sense as a writer, too, and helped put into perspective how to achieve a living via a grassroots beginning. Now to find those true beliebers... ;)

2. My take on amateur-kickstarter-business model--I don't think the book was overly optimistic. Lang did mention that this is the idealized process and that a lot could go wrong. He talked about the rubber band wallet guy as a way to emphasize the point that if someone else gets it out first and goes viral, it'll steal a lot of your thunder. That and the 1,000 fans/100 believers notion kind of put into perspective that it's not just a matter of slapping something on kickstarter and waiting for it to take off. I think what he describes is possible, but certainly not easy.

3. The resources--honestly, I didn't look at any of the outside resources he mentioned. I guess that tells you which I found interesting. :lol: If I ever do want to build stuff out of plastic or borrow a 3D printer, I'll know to look for Makerspaces. That's about it.

4. How the maker-attitude fits with the ERE lifestyle--Dragline and Jenny spoke to this, and I agree. I seem to recall the ERE book included the idea that you can start learning any new skill regardless of your education and learn to do it "enough" to satisfy at least your own needs relatively quickly (and, with time, to satisfy others' needs as well). I think the mindset applies, but again, the book's focus was on a very narrow spectrum of that mindset.

@Jenny: I'm now curious how you toast bread. I'm picturing blow-torches. Don't disillusion me if I'm wrong. :lol:

Felix

Post by Felix »

*shakes fist*
:lol:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The ERE way to make toast ...

Felix

Post by Felix »

Aka blowtoast.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

By happenstance, I skimmed this book a while back. Since I am an ENTP (the inventor or enthusiast), I am generally very attracted to all the new-new things recipes found in maker-movement books. I have a copy of the first edition of Craft magazine on my permanent collection shelf because there are at least 3 things in there I am going to make one of these days.

However, I also live with a retired manufacturing engineer and spend a good deal of my time these days making and fixing things with him (currently paving a driveway) so I am well aware that maker-recipe books are just like food-recipe books that focus on new ingredients or new kitchen equipment rather than focusing on basic making/manufacturing skills or knowledge. For instance, what is the difference between a tool and a machine? (A: machine has moving parts) or what are the three basic processes in making/manufacturing anything? (A: addition of material, subtraction of material, deformation of material.)

One thing I think is interesting is that although most people would agree that it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make your own microwave oven from scratch, I think fewer people appreciate how difficult it would even be to make yourself a pair of blue jeans from scratch.

Anyways, there is so much previously manufactured stuff available for free or very little money, scavenging and fixing seem like more useful activities to me than making ( I mean if you are alone in the woods, you might have to figure out how to carve or mold a bowl for yourself but in the city you just need to rinse out a Starbucks cup somebody tossed)...but it is useful to know how to make in order to know how to fix or renovate and it is fun and interesting.

As far as making money from setting up a mini-manufacturing business goes, I think novel design is the only way to profit and that will likely be a fast hot dollar rather than a slow cool penny thing.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

@Jenny: Epic! :lol:

Also, I forgot to mention in terms of comparison between Maker-to-ERE, I also related strongly to the beginning chapters where Lang described his experiences being laid off from his job, and realized his only real skill was "sitting at a computer". I know the feeling. I think that definitely relates to the ERE goal of building up skills to circumvent the hamster-wheel of "earn money, spend money".

Felix

Post by Felix »

It seems like sitting in front of a computer is the work-related skill of most people.