The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by ...

Your favorite books and links
Dragline

Re: The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by ...

Post by Dragline »

Partially, but I think its better explained by generational theory and mimetic theory. The Greatest Generation was also overprotected and developed a social orthodoxy (of the 1950s), which is what the Boomers then rebelled against. Millennials are creating their own social orthodoxy which will dominate the culture of the 2020s and 2030s, and eventually will be rebelled against by their children. The two guys speaking are the bitter Gen-Xers I mentioned in another thread. They should expect more of this orthodoxy/mono-culture in the future, not less.

If you have read mimetic theory, you would recognize the claims to victimhood as simply a reflection of the Christian ideal (all people have value as individuals), bridged into secular thought by John Locke, but is the principal "aspiration" of Western societies (opposed by Nietzsche). Harari also touches on this when he compares the Code of Hammurabi (individuals only have value based on their place in society) and Locke.

We have reached a point where almost no major action is possible without first identifying the victims that are being protected. There is a constant rush to claim victimhood, justified or not, so as to justify an exercise of power, justified or not.

The intersection of Haidt's ideas and mimetic theory are explored here: http://www.prospectingmimeticfractals.c ... previous/7

"But here is where it becomes more interesting, and where Nietzsche and Girard depart from one another. Girard takes the view that by upholding the rights of individuals not to be scapegoated by their communities, Christianity is in fact, the destroyer of religions and leads directly to current Western culture, which is fixated on individualism and the rights of victims."

I can't say I have much sympathy for university professors, because they are used to whining and getting their way. Now they are feeling constrained. What goes around comes around.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sorry, I posted the wrong link.

Here's the link to the Harris/Haidt podcast ... https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/evolving-minds

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Recent discussion between Haidt and Jordan Peterson ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBegL_V6AA

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Jonathan Haidt was on Joe Rogan's podcast this week discussing PC culture, antifragility, problems at universities, social media, and how kids are physically safe but virtually unsafe ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6HbWw2RF4

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jennypenny wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 am
Jonathan Haidt was on Joe Rogan's podcast this week discussing PC culture, antifragility, problems at universities, social media, and how kids are physically safe but virtually unsafe ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6HbWw2RF4
Good stuff.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I'm glad to come across a (revived) old thread on this book. I read this book about two months ago and it is excellent. Haidt puts words to a problem I'd identified but never been able to formulate properly, and then offers a compelling cause of this problem. I join the chorus of those strongly recommending this book and I enjoyed reading others thoughts on the book.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

From The Atlantic (not Haidt but relevant): Conservatives Have a Different Definition of ‘Fair’. I like his point about Social Security hitting a sweet spot between the two camps.

For some reason, it also made me think back to some marriage issues mentioned on the forum and how conflicts might arise if partners define 'fair' differently.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I think it's telling that people focus all their rage on "student loans" instead of focusing their screeching on the universities themselves that are charging so much to go there.

Universities, in general, seem like such pussies that they'll cave and give in to any demands students make. I bet they'd fire all of their extraneous admin personnel, cancel every extra-curricular activity and sport that doesn't bring in more money than they cost, stop constructing new luxurious dorms and fitness centers, pare down the dining hall menus, get rid of half (or more?) of their classes and professors, and charge much less in tuition if students were protesting for that.

It's clear why they aren't.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
I think it's telling that people focus all their rage on "student loans" instead of focusing their screeching on the universities themselves that are charging so much to go there.
Or questioning whether college is the best choice in the first place.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Universities, in general, seem like such pussies that they'll cave and give in to any demands students make. I bet they'd fire all of their extraneous admin personnel, cancel every extra-curricular activity and sport that doesn't bring in more money than they cost, stop constructing new luxurious dorms and fitness centers, pare down the dining hall menus, get rid of half (or more?) of their classes and professors, and charge much less in tuition if students were protesting for that.
It seems like students and parents want all that stuff more than they want cheaper education. Or they can't see the connection.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Well that devolved quickly. For some reason we went from the general case of "what's fair?" to college loans specifically.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

George the original one wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am
Well that devolved quickly.
Actually it took five years

CS

Post by CS »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Universities, in general, seem like such pussies..
Please explain how this works with the female anatomy? I don't understand.

Do you go into the building of a university and imagine that you are having sex with a giant vagina? Does it bake you for 9 months and then spit you out with a degree?

Jean

Post by Jean »

What do young Cats have to do with female Anatomy? I don't understand.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

:lol: No Jean, my non-first-language-English speaker, you do understand. It's the same word, but with a different meaning. We call them homonyms.

Jean

Post by Jean »

(identify as a female) genitalia are semantically attached to the most unlikable aspect of the archetypal gender they're usually physically attached to. A Dick is a stuborn asshole, and a pussy a compliant coward.(/identify as a female)