Book Club #001: Flourish by Martin Seligman

Your favorite books and links
My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Book Club #001: Flourish by Martin Seligman

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy »

Flourish by Martin Seligman

Rating:

4/5

(I rate a book a 5/5 if it is a book that I can find myself reading over and over again in combination with strongly influencing my thought, growth or emotion. A 4 for me is better than average, I learned some, and enjoyed it)

Synopsis:

Flourish is a booked based on the lifes work and research of noted psychologist Martin Seligman. Flourish discusses his progression of thought/thesis on the subject of happiness and optimism.

Seligman has changed his focus of happiness from a more narrowly defined perspective of happiness consisting of positive emotion, engagement, and meaning to a more multi-faceted thesis based on well-being. Well being is composed of the acronym PERMA (Positive emotion,engagement, relationships, meaning and purpose, accomplishment). Adoption of these PERMA values leads one to "Flourish".

Review (The good):

Firstly, I will restate that I have a reading bias towards books that can have a strong impact on my locus of control rather than macro books that give me generalized knowledge that cannot be directly applied. So Seligman's book satisfied me in this respect. His discussion on application vs theory I resonated with and he was definitely preaching to the choir.

Secondly, I will state that perhaps I have a brain leak, but knowledge and insight for me is very perishable. I can read a book, and have it impact my thought and emotion a great deal, to only have this knowledge and insight wither or forgotten very quickly as time passes, especially if I do not apply what I have read or learned.

Given points 1 and 2, reading on the same topic areas for me then is very much like exercise. If I achieve a bench press of 200 lbs, that state is not static. It is only in doing the same reps over and over again that I maintain this muscle state. Similarly, to maintain knowledge and insight on certain topics, ie. a certain mental muscle state if you willl, I read a lot of books that help me exercise certain thoughts.

(sorry for that preamble but it was just needed for some context).

Flourish for me then was a good 'exercise' book. A lot of reminders on things we take for granted. Despite the fact his theory repackages and relabels a lot of previously known constructs on effective ways of living and thought, it gave me a good recharge in the areas of optimism and gratitude.

I also gained a greater understanding of the man known as Martin Seligman.

Review (The Bad):

The author never really separates the topic matter from the author's life/work, so it was hard to separate whether the book was about Seligman, or about optimism/well being/happiness.

The book then becomes somewhat of a personal manifesto/diatribe/autobiography.

While I was quite fascinated about the man himself (ie. Seligman) and I did enjoy his personal tidbits (ie anecdotes from academia, anonymous philanthropists,co-psychologists, etc) I found it a little distracting.

Seligmans legacy and stature speak for themselves, yet he spent quite a bit of the book rebutting in a fairly juvenile manner his detractors. I found this undermined his credibility somewhat, and i didn't find it really becoming of a man who has accomplished so much. It smacked of a little insecurity and ego.

I think there is an effective way to defend ones position/thesis, and I don't think he did that well. (On a side note, this was a similar criticism I had for Antifragile by Taleb).

The similarities in a book like Antifragile and Flourish is that I find the author tries to put himself in front of the subject matter, rather than the subject matter in front of the author. This is further exasperated by the authors need to rebrand/re-label/re-package (Flourish/Antifragile) previously known constructs and make like Christopher Columbus and as if everything is a new discovery by the genius of their own intellectual stature.

However, a lot of similar themes found in Flourish, can be found elsewhere. For example, pre-dating Seligman, was a book called The Power Of Positive Thinking by Norman Peale, which was written in 1952, and according to wikipedia was on the New York Times best seller list for 186 weeks straight (ie. 3+ years). Despite the fact that the book was largely a self-help book, Peale himself was a psychiatrist. I do not think Seligman even acknowledges Peale's contribution in this area, and if he did, it was in a token manner. (I am sure Peale was not the only one to talk on these subjects as well. )

Seligman's contributions in the area on positive psychology, optimism and well being have certainly been huge, but he didn't invent or discover these things. And often times reading the book it feels too much like he takes ownership on these topics.

Perhaps I am being overly nit picky and critical, however I find if only the author presented more humility in their research and thought, it would serve their purposes a lot more than exulting their accomplishments.

On a side note, an excellent example of a (psychology) book that allows the topic/research to speak for itself is
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge.

Booktators Discussion/Questions:

1. Seligman states

"Poor People in Calcutta are much happier than poor people in San Diego". pg 194 (ePub Version)

"Depression now ravages teenagers: fifty years ago, the average age of first onset was about thirty. Now the first onset is below age fifteen...This is a paradox, particularly if you believe that good well-being comes from a good environment. You have to be blinded by ideology not to see that almost everything is better in wealthy nation than it was 50 years ago: we now have about three times the purchasing power in the United States..". pg 73 (ePub Version)

Why do you think there is this inverse correlation?

Does minimalism, voluntary simplicity and ERE provide some immunity to depression and is there a stronger positive correlation of living a lifestyle of minimalism, voluntary simplicity and ERE to well being?

2. Seligman talks about Post Traumatic Growth (positive psychological change experienced as a result of the struggle with highly challenging life circumstances) vs Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

How is it that some circumstances can break a person while the same circumstance can make one completely stronger? Is there a parallel to Antifragility?

And on a slightly humorous yet serious note, does ERE conversion qualify as a post traumatic growth scenario? ;P

3. Register onto Seligman's website and take the Brief Strengths Test.

Link found here:

http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn ... spx?id=270

Given that we are all aspiring ERE types we most likely share similar strengths so this discussion is question is more about honest discussion of our weaknesses.

What are your perceived weaknesses and was the test more or less accurate?

Secondly, have you strengths/weaknesses change since your committal to minimalism, simplicity and ERE?

Chad

Re: Book Club #001: Flourish by Martin Seligman

Post by Chad »

#3 - My test scores started high and slowly progressed to very low, with persistence, forgiveness/mercy, and vitality being rather low on the scale.

The test was fairly accurate. The least accurate for me is probably leadership. Difficult to quantify, as I prefer to lead by example when possible.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Good questions... I also disliked the rebuttals and the mix of his personal life. I would have enjoyed more excercises, I wrote a gratitude letter to my mom and she absolutely loved it.

#1 - I think part of it is the problem of wanting more. Television really began to come on the scene in 1960 and with it a whole lot more advertisements. Advertising increased each year to what it is today. Sure, we are much more technologically advanced now but the average person will still be miserable because they continue to want more. The people in Calcutta are happy because they have enough.

I also think that society's perception of "the meaning of life" has shifted over that time.

#3 I feel as if the test was accurate in my strengths but I don't necessarily agree with the weaknesses. I always find these types of tests difficult to answer.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Reading was a slog, mostly for subjective reasons. The writing is very typical of New York-style edutainment non-fiction in that it talks about the subject but doesn't really teach it. And that's just not my cup of tea.

The structure is the widely used form of
1) Once upon a time I came across this question/I always wanted to learn more about/I thought this could be helpful
2) There I was with impressive name drop/awesome person at a conference/meeting/class/group and we were trying to solve my/their problem... in conclusion it ended up with me being awarded a $$$$$ grant and we started this CUTE acronym institute to study (see 1).
3) Repeat (2) about 5-10 more times in a chronological fashion.
4) Conclusion of what I learned in step 2 and 3 and some hopes for the future.

I don't really like this style, which I why I rarely read non-fiction, but I understand it's the conventional approach.

In the end I felt like I had learned that there is a field called applied positive psychology and it's being awarded grants and making an impact in high circles. I don't think I learned very much in terms of how to apply it or what underlies it. Much of it seemed like the usual soft-science approach of "we have statistically shown a correlation" so lets interpret that using our hypothesis. Eck!

Where's the theory?!?

I was hoping for some explanation/abstraction of the underlying principles but it never came.

I prefer text books.

Instead we got the "use more positive words" to make people happy/successful/etc. I suppose I'm being "active destructive" here much as I try to be nice and be "passive destructive" :) Yes, I understand that people can be manipulated into happiness by expressing gushing interest, but surely this does not hold for everybody. On that note, I lean much closer to Ehrenreich's Bright-sided.

I also felt that the perspective was "too American". In American culture "optimism" is considered identical to being "upbeat", "positive", "enthusiastic" (that's the correlation) ... and so to be sciency, they go ahead and count positive words and correlate it with successful companies, people, sports teams, ... On a more fundamental level optimism can be seen as "agency, locus of control, believing there's a solution, ... " How optimism is expressed externally has more to do with personal and cultural introvert/extrovert biases.

It seemed that there was at least an acknowledgement that there's more to optimism than simply going "Yay! Winning!" but I claim I just went deeper than the book in the paragraph above. Overall I only found a couple of things I wanted to make a note of. However, this is normal for non-fiction books---reading 300 pages to gain the insight of a couple of sentences.

On the whole, it seems that the problem for me was the attempt to derive very general conclusions based on statistics of entire populations without considering more variables (e.g. introvert, extrovert,...); without considering lead-lag relations (sure happiness and success is correlated, but does happiness lead to success or is it simply that success leads to happiness --- if you don't know this, you can't conclude any causal relation); or even without considering latent variables (ARGH!). One example is trying to correlate health with obesity. And .. they find that health is mostly correlated with physical activitity (which also happens to be correlated with obesity). [Exercise was the latent variable.] In any case now they're walking around with pedometers. I forget whether there were some connection to PERMA well-being here.

Overall it seems to me, which is also pointed out in the book, that the issue here is the "coaching"-problem in that, while a small percentage of the population already understands most of this either intuitively or simply by being knowledgeable about other fields of study (these people are called coaches), the great majority does not. However, in order to establish policies that can help the latter, it is necessary to turn the tacit knowledge of the minority into a science with programs and testing (and research grants!) in order to teach it in the standard sense. In that regard, the book mainly talks about the author's involvement is this formalization.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Great review, Itchy (edit: and Jacob!). I agree completely with your assessment in terms of the biographical details getting in the way of the theory. I found it even more distracting than you. I couldn't shake the feeling while reading it that I was listening to yet another academic grasping for acclaim rather than a psychologist presenting a theory. To be fair, Part I was supposed to be about "the birth of the theory", so technically all the horn-tooting and biography belonged there--but it seemed to continue into Part II. Maybe it was just the snarkiness that you all picked up on that turned me off to the biographical aspects as a whole.

My top strengths were:

1. Appreciation of beauty and excellence
2. Creativity, ingenuity, and originality
3. Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness
4. Industry, diligence, and perseverance
5. Perspective (wisdom)

My weaknesses (lowest 5 strengths) were:

20. Gratitude
21. Forgiveness and mercy
22. Kindness and generosity
23. Citizenship, teamwork, and loyalty
24. Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith

It's hard to be objective about these things, especially the weaknesses, but I'd say that's pretty accurate. (For instance, I didn't do the gratitude letter exercise--despite seeing it here on the forum previously AND reading about it again here.)

I agree that these tests can be a little skewed, though. For instance, my greatest weakness is "spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith" which to me are three different things. I have an absolutely rock-solid sense of purpose; I'm a writer and have known that since I was a kid. I also have a deeply rooted metaphysical understanding of the universe and my place in it, why things happen the way they happen, etc. But the questions testing this aspect all concerned religious faith specifically, which I don't think tests the full spectrum of this aspect of human happiness.

I don't think my strengths or weaknesses have changed much, not by ERE, or over my whole life, to be honest. For me there was never any "taking up" of the ERE lifestyle. I was already frugal and heading toward early retirement before I discovered ERE.

FWIW, there is a "Brief Strengths Test" and also a longer (240 questions) "VIA Survey of Character Strengths" test on the website; as with any of these Likert scale tests, the more questions, the more "accurate" the results. I took the latter one.

I have more thoughts on the book and will come back to this later!

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

I'm almost done with the book.

I would like to add the following. Psychology has been a pretty sloppy discipline. It was wrong and off base much of the time until pretty recently. So I think that explains the way the book was written. He's trying to right some wrongs and get the train back on track basically. Seligman has been in the field for decades and worked in all different types of psychology. And he has been the head of the American Psychological Association.

Also, yes he restates some things but I would add 2 things. For one, some of them weren't necessarily proven. And for another, they weren't necessarily implemented as part of mainstream psychology.

So I think he's doing the world and the psychology field a service by cleaning things up.

I may make another post or edit this one later.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I gave it an honest try, but gave up a little more than half way through. My main points of criticism have already been mentioned by MBGI and Jacob, mainly:

- He tries to show off positive psychology as a new invention, which he doesn't convince us that it is;
- Remarkable disregard of culture and personality types as variables ("too American", exactly);
- Correlation vs causation! Does A cause B, does B cause A, or does C cause A and B? Why do so many psychology/sociology/economics books have this problem? Isn't it kind of elementary?

That said, I do appreciate the suggestion MBGI, it's the kind of book I wouldn't have found or chosen on my own. I like this book club format for the same reason you mentioned in the other thread, "to get out of my tunnel vision of focus". Cheers.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I saw Seligman speak about 20 years ago. If you think he rambled in the book, you should hear him speak. The comparison with Taleb was spot on. I think Seligman has a lot to say but it can get lost in the weeds.

# 1: Seligman states “You have to be blinded by ideology not to see that almost everything is better in wealthy nation than it was 50 years ago: we now have about three times the purchasing power in the United States."

I think it depends on how you measure whether “everything is better” now. If you judge using Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, it’s probably true that more people in the developed world have their Physiological needs met, but fewer people have higher needs met. When you consider employment and health in particular, I’m not sure if Safety needs are met. Even if someone finds employment now, it doesn’t come with the guarantee of present or future benefits anymore. Many improvements in health have been made. There have been setbacks as well though in obesity-related diseases, certain cancers, and mental health issues (particularly in children with issues like autism) that probably more than offset advances.

I’d also argue that we’ve really gone backwards in meeting people’s social needs. The disintegration of multigenerational family units, the reduced role of religion in building community ties, and, ironically, the self-esteem movement have all affected the satisfaction of people’s social needs. I’m not proposing we go back to the 1950’s. Some of the changes came about for good reason. There were side effects, however, that have harmed as much as helped. For example, I’m not saying that everyone should be religious, but that religion’s reduced role in communities wasn’t replaced by another way to forge community ties that provide social support.

#2: PTG
This one was very personal for me. My son has cystic fibrosis, so I have a lot of experience with CF kids. You would think that kids who are diagnosed with an incurable disease early in life might end up being emotionally fragile. In my experience, the opposite is true. The kids who make it to adulthood end up being very successful. When life pushes at them, they push right back. I think the difference in their attitude is that they are diagnosed when they are young. They haven’t learned to play the victim yet. Adults who are diagnosed with similar chronic, life-threatening diseases seem to have a much harder time maintaining a positive outlook and learning to live/thrive despite the diagnosis. Adults seem to become their disease. Aussie phrased it once to me that people can't seem to help making it [their illness] their life story.

Pet peeve which refers back to questions #1 and #2: Why is the answer to “Are you healthy?” a Boolean value?? Even Seligman treats it that way sometimes. Does that mean once you’re diagnosed with something like CF the answer will always be no? I don’t agree with that, and think it contributes to negative feelings and a lack of resiliency. The explosion of conditions that people get labeled with (mental and physical) combined with the attitude that any condition means you’re unhealthy must add to the overall unhappiness people feel.

#3: I'm in a foul mood, so I'm kinda afraid to take the test today. I'll do it tomorrow.
Last edited by jennypenny on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

1) Beyond a basic level (which is low), satisfaction is more dependent on meeting expectations than on absolute values. I believe this is old stuff(?). If not, see the book Luxury Fever and read up on hygienic factors. The "grass is greener" proverb covers the folk-knowledge. If you don't have grass, sure you're unhappy, but once you have grass, you're more concerned about whether there's greener grass to be had than enjoying your grass. The various national happiness studies also back this up showing a stronger correlation between Gini factors and happiness than absolute income and happiness.

2) "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Obviously people enter adverse situations at different strengths. Also see the flow studies. It reminds me of sailing which is divided into three different primal feelings, namely: boring, exciting, and terrifying. However, the subjective feeling depends widely on the sailor's level of experience. What's terrifying to a rookie might be boring to an old salt. This is very related to my opinion that the popular focus on safety is actually quite stupid/unintelligent because I think it makes people mentally weak.

3) Yeah, with the recent facebook/google reduction in privacy, I'm even more obstinate about having to register to do things on the web. PM me if you know a good website to obtain throwaway email addresses.

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

@Jenny, ya I thought about that too re: #1. You can argue it either way. Really it's some of both I think. In the 50s something like 15% of homes had more than 1 car yet most people thought they were doing pretty well. Now many homes have 2 or more and don't subjectively feel as well off.

There was also much less inequality in a socioeconomic kind of way. The top 20% wasn't nearly as far from the bottom 20% as it is now.

America was highly unionised. A very large chunk of the workforce had stable, unionised jobs with pensions.

You can argue on and on. Sure obviously some things are better now. But you can argue almost as many ways that things were better in the 50s or so also.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Nice review, Book-tator. I had many of the same reactions you did, although my notes are much less organized. Seligman obviously has a huge ego and seems very narcissistic and also defensive both on defending the importance of academia (geez, how many names can he drop) and the value of psychology as a science (lots of physics envy here). And who cares about his bridge game in this context?

I was wondering if Seligman was trying to write his version of Kahneman’s “Thinking Fast and Slow”, which was part summary of research and part memoir. Seligman mentions Kahneman and notes that Kahneman refuses to be categorized with Seligman. I had this notion that Seligman views Kahneman’s work as analogous to microeconomics (individual decision making) and Seligman want to be the equivalent of Keynes – a macropsychological measuring overall societal contentment.

Problem is, Kahneman’s memoir is interesting and makes you want to like him, but Seligman’s really is not inspiring at all. From this book and another couple articles I read, it appears that Seligman married a woman when he graduated, divorced her in the seventies (she became a minister) and then married a student that idolizes him and had a mess of kids. Then he tells us he spends three hours a day playing bridge on line. His real life seems to bear little resemblance to what he advocates. (Baby boomer.)

Don’t get me wrong – I like what he says and suggests is important and the practices he mentions. Yet as others have pointed out, none of this is new. Most of it comes from ancient spiritual practices that can be found in most major religions and many philosophies, including Stoicism. More recently, a lot of this was well-developed in the self-help area with everyone from James Allen to Napoleon Hill to Earle Nightingale to N.V. Peale and to Jim Rohn (and many others). What he should be saying is that there is a lot of commonly held wisdom and practices that he has been able to verify or confirm with a variety of tests. Yet he would pretend that he invented this stuff.

This reminded me of the observation (maybe it was Taleb where I read it) that there is a misconception that, historically, science comes first by developing theories and then practical applications flow from that knowledge. In reality, the usual development is that there are tinkerers who figure out how to do/make things and then the scientists come in later to provide new and better explanations for what has been discovered or is already known with Popperian methods of falsifying bad theories until only the good ones are left. The exceptions to this historical pattern – such as the development of the atomic bomb from theory or the moon landings – are so unusual that they tend to prove the rule. Seligman refuses to give credit to the tinkerers who preceded him.

As for the three demands of the Book-tator:

1. I’m not sure anyone was measuring this 50 years ago. Maybe we are just over-diagnosing and over-medicating people (with SOMA). There is an unfortunate nostalgia for the past, which often only exists in the imaginations of the proponents. You can almost always find a time in the past that was better or worse in some measure than currently.

2. PTG – some people are naturally more resilient than others. Maybe its genetic. But I think occasional stress is good for this like lifting heavy weights is good for building muscles. This phenomenon repeats often in the human experience in different ways. Humans are meant to experience occasional stress, but chronic stress is almost always bad and unhealthful.

3. My biggest weakness was humility/modesty, followed by spirituality, hope, appreciation of beauty, prudence and love. Biggest strengths are open-mindedness, citizenship, fairness, forgiveness and mercy and creativity. Pretty much what I would have expected. No, this stuff hasn’t changed. I’ve been perfect and god-like for a long time now. ;-)

Here’s some more specific notes on some passages from the book – a lot of this touches on many of the topics we discuss around here:

‘Here is the exercise: find one wholly unexpected kind thing to do tomorrow and just do it. Notice what happens to your mood.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 21).

 This is random acts of kindness. Very well-known practice.

“Negative emotions and the negative personality traits have very strong biological limits, and the best a clinician can ever do with the cosmetic approach is to get patients to live in the best part of their set range of depression or anxiety or anger. Think about Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill, two severe depressives. They were both enormously well-functioning human beings who dealt with their “black dog” and their suicidal thoughts. (Lincoln came close to killing himself in January 1841.) Both learned to function extremely well even when they were massively depressed. So one thing that clinical psychology needs to develop in light of the heritable stubbornness of human pathologies is a psychology of “dealing with it.” We need to tell our patients, “Look, the truth is that many days— no matter how successful we are in therapy— you will wake up feeling blue and thinking life is hopeless. Your job is not only to fight these feelings but also to live heroically: functioning well even when you are very sad.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (pp. 52-53).

 This is the advice I would give for raising children and personal growth. People need to have practice in being in stressful situations so they know how to deal with them. For some its more of an issue than others.

“Originally, I went into psychology to relieve human suffering and to increase human well-being. I thought I was well prepared to do this, but I was actually miseducated to this task. It took me decades to recover and to work my way out of solving puzzles and into solving problems, as I explain below. Indeed, this is the story of my entire intellectual and professional development. My miseducation is instructive. I went to Princeton in the early 1960s afire with the hope of making a difference in the world. I got ambushed in a manner so subtle that I did not know I had been ambushed for about twenty years. I was attracted to psychology, but the research in that department seemed pedestrian: laboratory studies of college sophomores and white rats. The world-class heavy hitters at Princeton were in the philosophy department. So I majored in philosophy, and, like so many bright young people, I was seduced there by the ghost of Ludwig Wittgenstein.”
Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (pp. 55-56).

 What is interesting about this is that is shows Seligman comes from a place of being disenchanted with academia. Yet his solution was not to get out, but to attempt to reinvent it. He falls into the same traps and the people he criticized. Also note his apparent fascination with being involved with the most visible (“world-class”) activities.

“Positive psychology emerged from Nikki’s [his daughter’s] rebuke. I saw that I had indeed been a grouch for fifty years, that child rearing for me had been all about correcting weaknesses rather than building strengths, and that the profession of psychology— which I had just been elected to lead— had been almost exclusively about removing the disabling conditions rather than creating the enabling conditions for people to flourish.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 68).

 Talk about a “duh” moment. Took him 50 years to figure this out? Demonstrates a profound lack of awareness.

“As coaching stands now, I told our graduate students, its scope of practice is without limits: how to arrange your closet, how to paste your memories into a scrapbook, how to ask for a raise, how to be a more assertive leader, how to inspire the volleyball team, how to find more flow at work, how to fight dark thoughts, how to have more purpose in life. It also uses an almost limitless array of techniques: affirmations, visualization, massage, yoga, assertive training, correcting cognitive distortions, aromatherapy, feng shui, meditation, counting your blessings, and on and on. The right to call oneself a coach is unregulated, and this is why scientific and theoretical backbones are urgent. For this transformation of coaching, you first need the theory; next, the science; and then the applications.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 70).

 Here is the mistaken view of history. The applications actually come first. Some are good at some are bad. His job should be to use science to confirm or refute the known applications, not to invent allegedly new theories and take credit for them.

“Finally, what we are doing in MAPP will help establish guidelines for training and accreditation. You assuredly do not need to be a licensed psychologist to practice positive psychology or to be a coach. Freud’s followers made the momentous error of restricting psychoanalysis to physicians, and positive psychology is not intended as an umbrella for yet another self-protective guild.”Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 71).

 Exactly correct – you don’t need a lot of training or to pay a lot of money to acquire the necessary skills to counsel and help another person. Yet ironically, Seligman would make the same error in pretentiousness as Freud by assuming that people need to be taught in Seligman’s methods in an academic setting to be effective.

“Caroline lived up to her aim. In the years since her MAPP degree she added a major missing piece to the world of coaching. MAPP introduced her to goal-setting theory, which had never been part of any coach-training program that she had heard of. In her capstone project, she linked goal-setting theory to happiness research and to techniques of coaching. She then published Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide, the first book in the self-help section of any bookstore that discusses research-based goal-setting for coaches as well as for the general public. She now speaks to standing-room-only audiences, and her book is used in study groups around the world.”Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (pp. 71-72).

 Never heard of goal setting theory? My god, what planet have you people been on? Missing piece? I see – its got to be “research-based goal-setting” (from a very expensive and selective institution) or we can pretend it never existed.

“How did I change my life to make it “exactly the right moment”? First of all, thanks to what I had learned from the MAPP program, I was becoming a happier person, more attuned to my own spirituality and to reasons to celebrate gratitude. I kept a gratitude journal, and I started using goal-setting for the future and visualizing what I wanted. I wrote my list, starting with phrases ranging from “I will find a man who is …” to “My guy will be…” thinking that maybe different linguistic expressions would be more friendly to my personal outlook and search. Also, I stopped watching Sex and the City. I used visualization techniques, including meditation and collaging. My collage had words and images outlining how I wanted my life to be. Finally, I chose my favorite love song, the James Taylor version of “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You),” and every night before bed for the three months before I met my husband, I listened to it religiously, as if to serenade love into my life. The words “How Sweet It Is” were also on my collage, right above the words “Bridal Suite.” So those were the changes I made to get romantic love into my life. Today is our one-year wedding anniversary, and what is the biggest change in my life now? Well, a few things. I compromise more. I get and give a lot more hugs. I smile more. I speak and hear the words “I love you” much more often. I have a new nickname. Most important, I have someone I can trust, whom I love, and who loves me.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 74).

 This is very basic self-help and spiritual/religious material than millions of people have used in the past to improve their lives. You don’t need to pray at the U. Penn. Psychology Department to get this.

“I did not choose positive psychology. It called me. It was what I wanted from the very first, but experimental psychology and then clinical psychology were the only games in town that were even close to what was calling me. I have no less mystical way to put it. Vocation— being called to act rather than choosing to act— is an old word, but it is a real thing. Positive psychology called to me just as the burning bush called to Moses. Sociologists distinguish among a job, a career, and a calling. You do a job for the money, and when the money stops, you stop working. You pursue a career for the promotions, and when the promotions stop, topped out, you quit or become a time-serving husk. A calling, in contrast, is done for its own sake. You would do it anyway, with no pay and no promotions. “Try to stop me!” is what your heart cries when you are thwarted.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 75).

 Yes, a calling. This is a spiritual experience, not a scientfic one. Seligman completely fails to recognize what it is.

“Not about bizeboll, indeed. This movie is about vocation, about being called, about building something where there was nothing. “If you build it, they will come.” Called, that’s what I had been. Over the objections of deans, my own department, and trustees, a MAPP program arose on the barren cornfields of Philadelphia. (“ Is this heaven?” Shoeless Joe asks. “No, it’s Iowa,” Ray Kinsella responds.) And who came? “How many of you were called here?” I ventured timidly. Hands shot up. Everyone’s hand. “I sold my Mercedes to get here.” “I was like a character from Close Encounters, sculpting the tower I repeatedly dreamt. Then I saw the ad for MAPP, and here I am at the tower.” “I left my clinical practice and my patients.” “I hate flying, and I get on a goddamn airplane and fly sixty hours from New Zealand and back once a month to be here.”
Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 77).

 Build it and they will come. See my introductory post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1396&p=18642#p18642

Nor is it ecological; the Old Order Amish of Lancaster County, who live thirty miles down the road from me, have only one-tenth of Philadelphia’s rate of depression, even though they breathe the same air (yes, with exhaust fumes), drink the same water (yes, with fluoride), and make much of the food we eat (yes, with preservatives). It has everything to do with modernity and perhaps with what we mistakenly call “prosperity.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 80).

 And why is that? Seligman makes no attempt at an explanation of the community and purpose that the Old Order Amish have created. He completely ignores this important real-world data in favor of often artificial experiments.

“We believe that well-being programs, like any medical intervention, must be evidence based, so we have tested two different programs for schools: the Penn Resiliency Program (PRP) and the Strath Haven Positive Psychology Curriculum.”
Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 81).

 Limiting condtiion. Yes, evidence is important, but what if the evidence is simply that it worked in a number of circumstances? Does that mean you should pretend it doesn’t exist?

“Indeed,” I chimed in, now asking for the moon, “bring in the stars of positive psychology— Barb Fredrickson, Stephen Post, Roy Baumeister, Diane Tice, George Vaillant, Kate Hays, Frank Mosca, Ray Fowler— one each month, creating a speaker series for the faculty, students, and the community. Then have each of them live on campus for a couple of weeks, teach students and teachers, and advise on the curriculum.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 87).

 So Why do we require "the stars"? Is this not broadly applicable or is this a fallacious appeal to authority?

“The big idea claimed that it was not bad character but a malignant environment that produced crime. Theologians and philosophers took up this cry, and the end result was “social science”: a science that would demonstrate that environment, rather than character or heredity, is a better explanation of what people do. Almost the entire history of twentieth-century psychology and her sister disciplines of sociology, anthropology, and political science have acted out this premise.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 104).

 This is a huge point. What its saying is that there is a faulty basis for the entire field akin to economics faulty assumptions about rational actors.

“Meditation and cultivating deliberation— slow talking, slow reading, slow eating, not interrupting— all work. For young children, Tools of the Mind may work. We need to know much more about how to build patience, an unfashionable but critical virtue.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 125).

 I would compare this with books like “The Mindful Child” and other books recommending meditative practices. “Tools of the Mind” is neither original nor unique.

“How would you select hens to maximize egg production? The selfish gene tells farmers to select the individual hens that produce the most eggs in generation one, breed them, and do the same thing for several generations. By generation six, the farmer should have much better egg production, correct? Wrong! By generation six, using this scheme, there is almost no egg production, and most of the hens have been clawed to death by their hyperaggressive and hyper-egg-laying competitors. Hens are social, and they live in clutches; so group selection suggests a different way to maximize egg production. Breed the entire clutch that produces the most eggs in each successive generation. Using this method, egg production does indeed become massive. The same logic of natural selection seems to hold for the social insects as well. These enormously successful species (half the biomass of all insects is social) have factories, fortresses, and systems of communication, and their evolution is more compatible with group selection than with individual selection. Human beings, on this account, are ineluctably social, and it is our sociality that is our secret weapon.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 145).

 This is an incredible example that is extremely useful in explaining the value of the so-called less talented.

“In addition to physical data, a few items were psychological (sadness, happiness, loneliness, and the like) and were administered several times; and, of course, the actual location of every house was known. This allowed researchers to draw an emotional “sociogram”: a plot of how physical proximity influences emotion into the future. The closer someone lived to someone who was lonely, the lonelier the second individual felt. The same was true for depression, but the blockbuster was about happiness. Happiness was even more contagious than loneliness or depression, and it worked across time. If person A’s happiness went up at time 1, person B’s— living next door— went up at time 2. And so did person C’s, two doors away, by somewhat less. Even person D, three doors away, enjoyed more happiness. This has significant implications for morale among groups of soldiers and for leadership. On the negative side, it suggests that a few sad or lonely or angry apples can spoil the morale of the entire unit. Commanders have known this forever. But the news is that positive morale is even more powerful and can boost the well-being and the performance of the entire unit. This makes the cultivation of happiness— a badly neglected side of leadership— important, perhaps crucial.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (pp. 146-147).

 This re-emphasizes the importance of spirituality and happiness.

“Few of us are lucky enough to acquire mentors after age fifty. Ray became mine when I became president of the American Psychological Association in 1996. He had been president ten years before and had served as CEO (the real seat of power) ever since. In my first couple of months, as an innocent academic, I bumbled my way around the politics of psychotherapy, getting a bloody nose trying to convince the leading private practitioners to get behind evidence-based therapy. Pretty soon I was in “deep shit” with the practitioners.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 214).

 Personal amusing anecdote: I was involved in a lawsuit against the APA where I deposed Ray Fowler – meaning I questioned him for several hours under oath (it was just a contract case). I asked Fowler about a one line email he had sent to someone else and why he wrote it that way. He said it would take four hours to explain the thinking behind it. (I asked him to give me the 30-second version). But Fowler was indeed very diplomatic, nice and did not come across like Seligman.

“We have become friends, bonded by this common interest. I believe such Internet groups are one new technique that will save lives.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 219).

 I agree. The new communities that are just proto-forming now are likely to be internet based. Millennial generation is all over this stuff. And we have one right here. We are forming good friendships and I am grateful for them.

“20 Doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being: M. E. P. Seligman, T. A. Steen, N. Park, and C. Peterson, “Positive Psychology Progress: Empirical Validation of Interventions,” American Psychologist 60 (2005): 410– 21. In recent research, we found that, among five different positive psychology exercises, the gratitude visit (as described in Authentic Happiness) produced the largest positive changes in happiness (and decreases in depressive symptoms), and this effect lasted for a month. In the gratitude visit exercise, participants are asked to write and deliver a letter of gratitude in person to someone who had been especially kind to them but had never been properly thanked. S. Lyubomirsky, K. M. Sheldon, and D. Schkade, “Pursuing Happiness: The Architecture of Sustainable Change,” Review of General Psychology 9 (2005): 111– 31. Sonja Lyubomirsky and colleagues have also found that asking students to perform five acts of kindness per week over six weeks resulted in an increase in well-being, especially if they performed their five acts of kindness all in one day. Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (pp. 275-276).

 Thank you for confirming the validity of this ancient practice, Dr. Seligman. I should direct him to “Of Heaven and Mirth” by Rev. James Martin, S.J., better known as Stephen Colbert’s chaplain.

“51 There is another, more realistic approach to these dysphorias: learning to function well even if you are sad or anxious or angry— in other words, dealing with it: S. C. Hayes, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Relational Frame Theory, and the Third Wave of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies,” Behavior Therapy 35 (2004): 639– 65. The so-called third wave of behavioral and cognitive therapies shares the idea that patients may be better off dealing with their problems rather than trying to get rid of them. Steven Hayes, the architect of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT, pronounced as one word), explains how clients can lose sight of what their ultimate goals are, and how acceptance, or “dealing with it,” can help them do just that: “Typically, an anxiety-disordered person wants to get rid of anxiety. It could be experienced as invalidating to refuse to work directly on that desired outcome. At another level, however, the anxious client wants to get rid of anxiety in order to do something such as living a vital human life. Lack of anxiety is not the ultimate goal— it is a means to an end. Since often it has failed as a means, ACT suggests abandoning that means […] The larger message thus is validating (trust your experience) and empowering (you can live a powerful life from here, without first winning a war with your own history)” (p. 652). Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 287).

 This goes to the idea that we need practice and limited exposures to dealing with stress.

“103 Character had long since gone out of fashion in social science: The decline in psychologists’ interest for the notion of character can be traced back to the work of Gordon Allport, one of the founding fathers of the study of personality in the United States. Allport borrowed from John Watson, another psychologist, the distinction between “character” (the self viewed from a moral perspective) and “personality” (the objective self). According to Allport (1921), “psychologists who accept Watson’s view have no right, strictly speaking, to include character study in the province of psychology. It belongs rather to social ethics.” Personality is a morally neutral version of character and thus more appropriate to objective science. Allport urged psychologists to study personality traits and leave character to the province of philosophy. For a review of Allport’s work on character and personality, see I. A. M. Nicholson, “Gordon Allport, Character, and the ‘Culture of Personality,’ 1897– 1937,” History of Psychology 1 (1998): 52– 68. For Allport’s original work on the distinction between character and personality, see G. Allport, “Personality and Character,” Psychological Bulletin 18 (1921): 441– 55; G. Allport, “Concepts of Traits and Personality,” Psychological Bulletin 24 (1927): 284– 93; G. Allport and P. Vernon, “The Field of Personality,” Psychological Bulletin 27 (1930): 677– 730.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 297).

 This is a critical problem with many of the social sciences and limits their usefulness. Assuming its all nurture and no nature. In this field, there is a blindness to natural narcissists and psychopaths. We cannot assume that all humans have the same hard wiring and the evidence strongly suggests that they don’t. (Why do all these left-handed people keep showing up anyway?)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Dragline wrote:1. I’m not sure anyone was measuring this 50 years ago. Maybe we are just over-diagnosing and over-medicating people (with SOMA). There is an unfortunate nostalgia for the past, which often only exists in the imaginations of the proponents. You can almost always find a time in the past that was better or worse in some measure than currently.
I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with Seligman. I don't think it's misguided nostalgia to realize that today isn't always better than yesterday, at least on some measure. I don't like the assumption that things are always better (or always worse as my in-laws constantly suggest :D ). To my mind, it's the same as assuming more = better, or bigger = better.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

What struck me about the PERMA theory itself was how similar it was to my own personal theory of human well-being/"flourishing". I don't recall who created this--I don't take credit, just something I picked up along the way--but it's known as the five dimensions or five aspects of health: Physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual.

I immediately saw that these aspects match up almost one-to-one with Seligman's PERMA:

Positive Emotion - Emotional Health
Engagement - Mental Health
Relationships - Social Health
Meaning - Spiritual Health
Accomplishment - Closest to Mental Health, crosses into Emotional and Spiritual too, maybe even Social

What's missing from Seligman's construct is the idea of Physical Health! As someone who's fairly engrossed in physical culture and fitness, I found its absence quite conspicuous--and some of Seligman's comments rather telling. I won't go so far as to assume anything about Seligman's physical health, but there was a particularly telling passage near the beginning of Chapter 2 in which he used dieting as an example of change that doesn't last:

"Your waistline is a prime example. Dieting is a scam, one that bilks Americans out of $50 billion annually. You can follow any diet on the bestseller list and within a month lose 5 percent of your body weight. I did the watermelon diet for thirty days and lost twenty pounds. I had diarrhea for a month. But like 80 percent to 95 percent of dieters, I regained all that weight (and more) within three years." (p. 31)

That pretty much confirmed to me Seligman's relationship with his physical body and what he felt about the importance of physical health...

To me, physical health is incredibly important to a person's well-being. I don't necessarily mean physical health in the "not-sick" or "not-disabled" way, although to be honest I think that is a component (just like being born in a higher IQ range helps foster mental health, or not having psychological issues increases emotional health, etc--not to say a person with a physical handicap can't flourish by making more progress along the other dimensions, much as a person who is blind will become more in touch with other senses).

It's just that I believe in physical monism. I think at the end of the day everything reduces to physical laws and physical substances. I think what we experience as consciousness simply arises out of the physical matter of our brains. Therefore the same chemical and electrical processes that govern the rest of the physical body must also influence the brain and all mental and emotional states. The body and mind are inseparable.

This is one of the tenants of the "pharmaceutical craze" in modern psychology: the problem must be brain chemistry, therefore alter the brain chemistry.

Seligman is perhaps too desperate to separate his theory from this trend of physicalism. And I agree with him insofar as pharmaceutical treatments are band-aids for symptoms rather than treatments for underlying causes.

But pharmaceuticals aren't the only way to change body/brain chemistry. Another universally accepted method is physical exercise!

The human being has to be treated as a full organism, not a "mind in a vat". Human bodies (and brains) evolved to be used a certain way, and for the most part civilization does not use them as intended. Is it any wonder that they malfunction?

I think this relates into discussion question #1. Kids in the 50s had a later onset depression because kids in the 50s spent their days running around outside and playing catch together before going home to a home-cooked meal prepared by a full-time parent. Kids today spend their days sitting motionless in dark rooms staring at screens and eating Hostess cookies while waiting alone for a Dominoes pizza brought home by working parents (or one working parent).

I have to admit I sniffed to myself in amusement at the whole "you'd have to be blinded by ideology..." quote. To prove how much "better the objective world has become" since 50 years ago, he rattles off a series of shallow, mostly economic and consumeristic measures. "The average house has doubled in size... there are more cars than licensed drivers..." etc... "Clothes--and even people--seem to look more physically attractive." (Guess he didn't notice obesity rates doubling over the last fifty years :lol:)

It struck me as very ironic that he would use the term "blinded by ideology" and then proceed to show his own blind ideology of consumerism and materialism (aka mainstream American values).

I have to agree that the perspective was "too American" and "too extroverted". I would add that it was also too academic and too Baby Boomer. :)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

@jenny -- I'm not sure whether I agree with Seligman on whether children are more depressed now, because of the lack of good data on the other end. I think we pay more attention to children these days. So they have less chance of being abused and bullied -- remember when that was considered normal life ("kids will be kids") when we were growing up -- but more attention is paid to every potential defect or problem to be "fixed". I also agree with S_W that most of them would be better off if they spent more time running around in the sunlight -- and had pets that licked them as babies so they developed better immune systems and fewer allergies.

@S_W -- you are correct that Seligman has spent most of his life in pretty lousy physical shape, although he has done better recently and taken up gardening. His goofy revelation in the book that "walking is good for you because an important academic told me so and we can measure it with a pedometer" says an awful lot about him. Here's an article about him from his local paper, where he is essentially described as a great careerist and a lousy spouse/parent: http://articles.philly.com/2010-05-30/n ... r-soldiers

Note the article describes him as a "prophet" and a "missionary", which might as well have been written by a generational historian. "Prophet" is the generational archetype of the boomer generation. "Missionary" is what the previous prophet generation was called (FDR's generation).

I very much agree with you that his five categories of well-being are both deficient and duplicative. Some self-help guru that I can't remember now divided them essentially into three -- as in, you can only have three kinds of problems: (1) health-related; (2) financial/career/accomplishment - related; and (3) personal relationships (both social and spiritually). Then you can parse those down as far as you like. But health is #1, because nothing else matters much if you don't have that. Again, this is nothing new, but I am glad his work has confirmed a lot of what is already out there.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@dragline--I'm not sure data would even be useful. Fifty years ago, most 15 year-olds were getting ready to enter the workforce (or already had), and were probably just starting to think about having a family. Today's 15 year-old may still have 10 years of school ahead of them, and might already have kids. How could you compare them?

@Spartan--Have you ever read Free Range Kids or checked out the website? I'm much closer to her style than the helicopter crowd in Stepford.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

As usual, I am a bit late commenting and many of the points (positive and negative) have been stated above. The book club's comments stirred me more than the book and reinforce to me that the club and comments is a great idea.

To me much of the book was restating self help type positive projection. As I read along, I often felt like the next page was going to contain an order form for a self help packet and 3 payment options. He really is a big name dropper and seems like the extroverted self-promoting salesman type.

That being said, I fall into line with itchy's, "Secondly, I will state that perhaps I have a brain leak, but knowledge and insight for me is very perishable. I can read a book, and have it impact my thought and emotion a great deal, to only have this knowledge and insight wither or forgotten very quickly as time passes, especially if I do not apply what I have read or learned.

Given points 1 and 2, reading on the same topic areas for me then is very much like exercise. If I achieve a bench press of 200 lbs, that state is not static. It is only in doing the same reps over and over again that I maintain this muscle state. Similarly, to maintain knowledge and insight on certain topics, ie. a certain mental muscle state if you willl, I read a lot of books that help me exercise certain thoughts."

Because of the above, the book was useful and at times enjoyable to me. "Marty's" urging to create lists and letters stating gratitude made me think of you guys(among other good things in my life). Dragline mentioned the very line I would quote, “We have become friends, bonded by this common interest. I believe such Internet groups are one new technique that will save lives.” Seligman, Martin E. P. (2011-04-05). Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being (p. 219).

Others have touched on one's physical or hardwired traits and their relationship to the material content of Marty's work but I kept reverting to, "This simply does not apply to an introvert!"

My reading of late has gets sidetracked by new ideas, places, or things unknown to me. The idea of my son attending the Geelong Grammar School at Timbertop and chopping his own wood for a shower intrigued me for a bit. That led to a flight of ideas about creating a rustic higher learning center in my area......Where did that farm go?

Itchy, I enjoyed your tatoring. Again, I do not have much original thought response to the questions that has not already been mentioned. I intend to use his website but I am in the same camp as JP right now as far as using the assessment tools (Seligman even agrees mood influences such research!"

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Poor Marty is getting eviscerated in this thread! ;p

I will mount somewhat of a devils advocate defense reply, but not before one last shot.. :)

Psychology as an Art and Science

Despite my (obvious) like for the field/discipline of psychology, psychology for me is more an art, than it is a science. It's one of the few majors you can get a BA or BSC.

A lot (but not all) of human behaviour just doesn't lend itself to the rigours of the scientific process, i.e there are far too many extraneous variables that cannot be controlled in a study/experiment, so it's extremely hard to achieve validity. But that doesn't necessarily mean the whole discipline is quacked. It just means its much closer to something like Philosophy, than it is Physics.

A large part of Marty's book is trying to pass off psychology on the whole as well as his focus of work (happiness, gratitude, and optimism) as a science. A point @dragline makes well.

Personally, for these topic areas (happiness, gratitude and optimism) I would never really want them to ever fully lend themselves to science. They are what makes us human, and seperate us from most other living creatures.

Science cannot replicate or explain certain expression of humans, like the Mona Lisa, the Beatles, Ghandi, etc.

Had Marty not tried so hard to equate what he is doing with science, than I believe the book would have been more palpable.

As well, if the book was titled "Memories of Marty" or "The Marty Memoir" it would have had more topical consistency/integrity.

But the mix of passing off subjectivity as objectivity just killed it.

In Defense of Marty

There are three very concrete/actionable things that Marty put forth that he suggests would promote greater well being:

-A daily gratitude journal (ie. three things a day) for personal gratitude and better self awareness
-A gratitude letter, for relationship building and expression
-10,000 steps a day for health which equates to about 5 miles a day. (He also talks quite in depth of how the absense of sickness does not equate health.)

I (personally) don't really need science or empirical studies for me to believe these three things implemented in my life would bring about greater well being. I already strongly agree with them. So being reminded of this, and the fact that I don't do gratitude as often or as expressed above, humbles me into how ungreatful I am or how much more I can grow.

I commend @theanimal for actually writing the gratitude letter to a loved one.

If I wrote a gratitude letter to my mother, not only would it make her extremely happy, her reaction would make me happy, and my relationship would be much better than it already is.

Yet, even knowing this... I haven't done it.

Then I say to myself, why do I have such a hard time doing such an act?

Well, it's a very hard thing to do. You need to make yourself vulnerable, you need to be honest, you need to look deep within, and well, you gotta have some guts. It's hard work.

And this is what I mean by the book being a good mental exercise.

I as well did not do the gratitude letter and my guess is that few have. I did not do a majority of the assessment tests either, just the one listed on the discussion questions.

Not doing these things is more a reflection of my laziness and close mindedness, rather than my disbelief in the techniques or theory.

So, in defense of the man called Marty, it would then be hypocritical for me to assail the theory, without even making an effort to apply it.

I think his point is also that expressions of gratitude should not be one off things, ie. things we do when we are inspired by death, tragedy, or watching some inspiring Vimeo or youtube video. But for well being, it is something we should be integrating into our daily lives, as much as possible.

I want to just add as well that I am not implying that anyone here is fully refuting Marty, or saying his PERMA thing is untrue. For certain none of these things are original thoughts of Marty, however, looking past all the noise (and for certain there was a lot of it!!) i I think the message/signal of his book was sound.

---

Discussion 1 HAPPINESS NOW vs 50 YEARS AGO:

My opinion is that I do believe that (western) society as a whole has a much lower rate of happiness than it did 50 years ago.

I follow the whole theory of we have too much choice, data, reference points,etc.

I also do think that minimalism and voluntary simplicity and ERE (ie. applied minimalism and simplicity!) can be a very effective way to bring about greater well being.

HOWEVER, I believe it ONLY to be maximally(is that a word!?) effective if you largely remove yourself from the environs of materialism/consumerism to (the creation of) a fully supporting environment.

My analogy would be like a marathon runner training in say, Bangkok. Yes you are training and becoming a better runner, however the pollution is so toxic that everything is nearly a wash, ie, Gains in one area, are offset with losses in another.

If we, as a minimalist minority, do not have the infrastructure around us to fully support our lifestyles, many of our gains can be offset in losses in other areas.

For example, if all our friends and family are consumerists/materialists, we by living by a specialized minority set of values are the ones who can get ostracized or cause strain in relationships.

It is then up to us to seek out like minded people and infrastructure to fully provide the support we need for our PERMA and FLOURISNESS-Ness. (sarcasm).

Discussion 2 POST TRAUMATIC GROWTH:

Although not its intention, I find William Bridges book Transitions perhaps a very good deconstruction of what post traumatic growth entails.

Discussion 3 SELF ASSESSMENT:

I scored very very similar to @chad. Generally, I think my strengths and weakness change at different points in my life as my life phases and values change.

For example, I see myself being a very different person 5 years from now, and then 5 years after that, and so on.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

"-A daily gratitude journal (ie. three things a day) for personal gratitude and better self awareness
-A gratitude letter, for relationship building and expression
-10,000 steps a day for health which equates to about 5 miles a day. (He also talks quite in depth of how the absense of sickness does not equate health.)"

I agree that these are all positive and worthy habits to get into. Yet the way they are put is limiting due to the apparently required/enforced formality and talismatic significance of the way the instructions are given. It tends to perpetuate an idea that the perfect is the enemy of the good as to well-being, and if you don't meet the gold standards, your efforts will be for nought. I think this is fundamentallly wrong as an approach to living and may lead you to be grouchy for 50 years like the author.

For the first, why three things per day? What if its just one or maybe there are five? Not every day is the same. Just keep a journal. When something good happens, write it down. When you read it months later, you'll say to yourself - hey, that was good, wasn't it? I forgot how good that day was. It helps reprogram your memory to make it more positive.

For the second, the formal letter is nice, but why not focus on something simpler that doesn't require so much effort? Like just trying to thank someone for something every day or every opportunity? Or jotting off a nice email? Or complimenting someone on this forum on what they have said or done? Focus on the people you see the most. Or someone you know that seems down on themselves. It's an easy habit to form and it improves personal relationships without really even trying very hard.

For the third, there is nothing really magic about 10,000 steps, or walking in particular for that matter. Its a good place to start, but you might get really bored with that program. It's also time-consuming compared to other programs and is unlikely to be as effective as a mixture of activities. And what if you only get in 5,000? Are you a failure then? Should you be unhappy and engage in self-flagellation? I should think not. Better to try exercise regimens until you find something you enjoy. And then feel free to abandon them and doing something else if you start to get bored. Just keep moving.

I'm glad Marty is a strong proponent of these things and I think his book will reach an audience that might turn up their noses at those of lesser intellects, bank balances and educational pedigrees. But man, there is just SO MUCH he is missing -- you want to just shake him.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I think one of the points in Brightsided (or maybe it was somewhere else) was that if the belief that positive thoughts=>positive outcome becomes ingrained, then it logically follows that negative outcome=>not positive thoughts.

If the positive thinking equals influence axiom gets applied on cases where the outcome is really beyond control, then, ironically, when things go bad positive thinking can lead to negative thinking as people blame themselves for not having thought positively enough.

Therein lies the danger of applying that hammer.

I think those exercises have to be done with integrity and sincerity lest they not work or be counterproductive causing stress in the above sense. Again, cause and effect. To wit, if you actually want to write a letter of gratitude, then presumably you're already feeling gratitude. Writing the letter is thus reinforcing or simply confirming an existing emotion---practising it to make it stronger. Conversely, if you do not operate from a mindset of gratitude of being thankful/resentful based on what's coming to you but just accept everything for what it is---like an adult?(*)---then writing a gratitude letter will likely feel like the worst high school homework essay ever. Gratitude letter exercises make Hulk want to smash!

(*) Reading the wiki page on gratitude (knowing little about this alien concept, I had to look it up :-D ), I noticed that gratitude is a fundamental tenet of all the major religions featuring a hierarchical world order, e.g. God on top, worshippers on bottom (compare to parent--child relationship) whereas those religions w/o a hierarchical world order were not mentioned, e.g. Buddhism. I wonder what Taoism's stance on gratitude is? Maybe this is just a fluke observation. [In this paragraph I use the relationship model of Berne with parent-child-adult interactions.]

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

I certainly wouldn't agree that positive thinking and positive outcomes have a 1.0 correlation or a direct causation, and I don't think? that Marty is suggesting this either.

I think? Seligman's point is that the hammer is far more dangerous to believe that positive thinking or negative thinking has no effect or correlation on outcome, i.e. the conditions of learned helplessness.

I think this is where his criticism and rebuttal against Brightsided (was that the persons name?) comes from.

(And I think perhaps Brightside then says that science cannot prove this, because you cannot produce an adequate experiment to test this..)

To which I eject and say Psychology is more art than science, and where Seligman doubles down.

----

I do align and believe that your mindset definitely has an impact on a lot of your outcomes , i.e. I believe in self fulfilling prophecies.

As per the letter writing gratitude exercise, I find it curious that we find it hard to do. Why?

Why should we have such a hard time expressing gratitude in this form?

I certainly don't disagree with @dragline's suggested forms of 'less hard' forms of gratitude and the examples provided are nice expressions and that they help to exercise gratitude as well.

I (think?) the letter writing exercise was designed/aimed at unearthing a level of gratitude that's far deeper, ie. most often buried in the unconscious. Like the crossfit of gratitude exercises, used to challenge our regular conscious thought, putting thoughts into words, etc.

We usually only achieve this sense of gratitude when a natural disaster hits, or that cancer diagnosis later proves to be benign, a dying death bed of a loved one, etc, and I believe the intention in the exercise is to try and attempt to reach closer to that level.

To directly tell a love one that you love them and explain in earnest detail why, has a high probability of producing something pretty special, possibly a very human moment and a break down of walls we usually build up around ourselves. For certain the moment will be 'corny' in comparison to our every day lives and emotional state, and it will be awkward, there will be a sense of uncertainty, but it may just be something that we haven't experienced, in a long long time. But I don't find it a hard reach to believe that the exercise can bring about better well being (perhaps temporal, hopefully more long lasting).

A lot of us, including myself, have more stoic personalities and we may express our gratitude in more complex ways (ie. extraneous variables). But again, I have no doubt if I were to do this with sincerity it would have an incredible impact. I will go further and outright say, I have a long way to go to being a more grateful person, but it's definitely better than it was before.

I guess I will lastly add that I believe our disposition towards Gratitude can be altered and it can wax and wane. I think its quite rare to have an individual, especially in western society that has a fairly high level of gratitude, most of the time.

(Most certainly, Gratitude is like bedrock in religon).