Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Your favorite books and links
arrrrgon

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by arrrrgon »

Dragline wrote:You take me too seriously. Must be the avatar. ;-)
Haha, nah I figured you were joking. It's hard to display emotion in a text message.

The avatar does make me think of the wild west every time I see it though.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

My first immigrant for-father. But he was just a flamboyant German painter dude who settled in Milwaukee. (I think he ended up painting more walls than canvases.)

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Bit late to the party, but I would like to join!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

The price is right and the door is always open.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I cleaned up the Book Club entry on the wiki, which can be found here.

I deleted any names that we skipped over, and added discussion links for the books we've read. Feel free to add your name to the list if you want to participate. If I deleted your name and you still want a turn, just add it back to the list.

Feel free to jump in. You're not required to do a book report, and you won't be graded. ;)

It's all just for fun. :)

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

I challenge the tyranny of Dragline and his book-tator minions!

I want to show us the light of democracy!

Request to mods or admin to grant polling permissions by:
Go to your ACP -> Forums Tab -> Forum Permissions -> "Select Forums to add permission to" -> "Select group to assign poll permission to" & click 'Edit Permissions' -> Advanced Permissions -> Polls Tab

ACP - Permissions - Forum Permissions. Select the forum(s) you want people to be able to make polls in, and you will see a little dropdown box for every group (Administrators, Registered Users etc). Simply select "Full Access" for administrators, and "Standard Access + Polls" for everyone else, if you want them to be able to make polls. Polls in phpBB3 are actually in the new topic page, so click "New Topic" in the forums you just changed, and at the bottom there should be "Poll Creation". Create the poll there.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1025395

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Not sure if this is still active, but I'd love to join. I need a kick in the butt to read more often.

I also second jacob's thought (early on) of making this a separate forum altogether. I was trying to find old threads on some of the beginning books but couldn't find them.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@cmonkey -- The master book club list is on the wiki and has a link to each discussion thread.

If you want to join in the discussions, feel free. Everyone is welcome to comment in the threads. If you want to be a booktator, just add your name and selection to the bottom of the list on the wiki.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Oh thanks! I also now see the "BC#" naming on the book club threads.

Looks like you started reading Mans Search For Meaning about 2 months ago and that was the latest to date?...I'm heading to the library tonight to renew my membership I'll see about getting that.

C40

Post by C40 »

Hey wait - we're reading How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World now?? Did I miss a thread announcing this?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sorry, no thread yet. I decided to change the "reading now" thing while I was adding the link to dragline's discussion so I didn't have to do it later. I'm lazy.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

C40 wrote:Hey wait - we're reading How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World now?? Did I miss a thread announcing this?
No. I have, ahem, poked the young Zalo but apparently he is off doing obnoxious young-people things in a library somewhere.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I have my library getting in both Man's Search for Meaning and How I Found Freedom so count me into the next one.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

cmonkey wrote:...Man's Search for Meaning...
Man's Search for Meaning was written in 1946 so it is in the public domain now.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Age is not a guarantee that copyright expired though so be careful. Some years ago, there was an incident where amazon deleted a bunch a 1984 (published in 1949) novels on people's kindles because some publisher still held the rights. Big scandal. Students losing their notes/annotations. Also, the irony of the title given how amazon could "reach out" and do it.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... indle-1984

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I am not a fan of digital reading anyway, even free works. Give me hard copy any day, its much easier on the eyes. Probably due to working with screens all day.

fiby41

"What is the first stage of digital book burning? To kindle."

Post by fiby41 »

Check if its legal in your country here first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ht_lengths

@cmonkey: That's fine, just putting it out there for anyone interested.

I no longer have problem with screen brightness when using for extended periods of time by setting screen to Brightness: 8%; Contrast: 60% and flux.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

The reason the law is based on the year 1923 in the U.S. is because that is the year the first Mickey Mouse cartoon was released. A lot more material would be in the public domain if Walt Disney hadn't gone to court. It's very hard to determine the copyright status of material published in the mid-20th century. Often requires a manual search in Washington.

DonkeyKong43000

Post by DonkeyKong43000 »

I imagine How I Found Freedom in an Unfree world may be difficult to get from libraries. Used physical copies can be expensive.

There is now a Kindle version available from Amazon, and it worth incredibly more than the $8 price.

There is also this pdf that anyone can read or download from the first link below. I imagine that the copyright holders aren't all that concerned or worried about people getting free copies of this book - this pdf has been sitting on that website for years, and is the very first google result if you search for the book title along with "pdf" or "free".

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@DonkeyKong43000 - I deleted your links to avoid subsequently getting take-down orders just in case that people do get concerned. This has happened in the past when people posted links and it's always a hassle for me.