Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Your favorite books and links
Dragline

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by Dragline »

I hadn't been paying attention, but yes, we are reading Sere's selection NOW. So git on down to your library and git one. It's an older book in this genre, so it should be available.

We'll look for Sere's wisdom in an upcoming thread.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Dragline wrote:we are reading Sere's selection NOW.
:P

I wasn't trying to nudge. I only moved things around because I was there adding the discussion link. I promise I'll wait for word from the great and powerful booktator before changing it next time. :)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

My library system has this one, however, it is OUT! :o Are there any EREers using the RiverShare library system?

I have it reserved next.

Sere

Post by Sere »

If anyone can't get a hold of the book but is still interested, the Terhorsts have a site here: https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/ which lists some of their other writing (https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgr ... t-overseas). It also features some photos from their world travels since retiring in 1984 at age 35 (see the interview at http://www.nextavenue.org/30-years-ago- ... 35-update/).
I got my copy from Abe Books if that's of help to anyone (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... ican+dream)

C40

Post by C40 »

I've had a copy of Paul Terhost's book sitting in my "to read" pile for a while now.

I'm starting on it tonight. Woo HOO!!!

C40

Post by C40 »

Ok, I'm almost done with "Cashing in on the American Dream".

It's a pretty good book. I think it will be the most beneficial for folks who are fairly new to or still exploring the concept of early retirement. If you've already read Jacob's book and a bunch of other personal finance books, it won't add a whole lot. But it has still been interesting and a quick enough read for me to read the entire book.

I need to get rid of the book after reading it, and I'd rather mail it to someone who is going to read it rather than just donating it into some huge pile where it may just get thrown away or never read again. Whoever wants my copy, PM me your address and I will mail it to you on August 1 or 3. BOOK HAS BEEN CLAIMED. WOO HOO!

Sere

Post by Sere »

Great stuff C40 :D
I'll post a thread in the next couple of days.
I think my main interest in the book lies in discussing its applicability today, and its heavy emphasis on travel, which I think is the main difference to Jacob's :geek:

Sere

Post by Sere »

Here's the thread for anyone who wants to join me in discussing Cashing in on the American Dream :D viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6687

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

The Book-tator is dead! Long live the Book-tator!

We will now take a walk on the wild side with VEXED87, who will entrance us with bumblebees in Shropshire and Dave Goulson's "A Sting in the Tail": http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Tale-My-Adv ... 8&qid=&sr=

Hope you are not allergic. ;-)

We'll hold vigil and await the Wisdom of Vexed to be cast down upon us in a few weeks.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

IIRC I havn't done a book review before, so I am not sure wisdom is the right word for it, but you will lap it all up just the same. Enjoy the book, or else! ;)

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Sorry for the delay in posting my thread guys, got a whole host of excuses (including that old one about how the dog ate the book!) but you're not interested in those so I'll get back to reading!

I'll hopefully have the review up by the end of the weekend. I've set the date now so I aim to stick to it!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Sorry for the slacking! The post is finally up for discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6847

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Have we run through the list? Since he doesn't have a job anymore, is it time for Jacob's selection? :P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, we have. We'll need to go back to the top unless someone wants to volunteer.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I just finished reading Ted Koppel's new book Lights Out and I'd be willing to start a discussion that book. Most people should be able to get it from the library. It's not just about a grid-down scenario. It also covers cybersecurity and our current state of preparedness in detail. The only issue I can see is that it's very US-centric, and not just the premise (for example, there a couple of chapters on the Mormons).

I plan on reading Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon and Future Crimes: Everything Is Connected, Everyone Is Vulnerable and What We Can Do About It next if those are more palatable.

After that, I'm going to read Neil Postman's work. I've never read it, and it's past time. I plan on reading Amusing Ourselves to Death, The End of Education, Technopoly, and The Disappearance of Childhood, and would be willing to post about any of those if people were interested.

henrik

Post by henrik »

@jennypenny - the first two of the Postman books on your list are available at my library, I'd be up for either of those.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Future Crimes is on my stand right now.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm up for anything. Fire when ready.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Since I've been called out to join a couple of times I should say that writing book reports is possibly my least favorite writing activity and since the club seems to be of the pay-to-play variety, I'm out.

I can suggest books I think are worth reading (my favorite Postman book is "How to watch the news"), but I already do this in the forum.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I can post a summary/review of Koppel's book and then if someone else ends up reading it, they can comment.

@Chad--do you want to do Future Crimes? I don't think these posts need to be so elaborate. Quick summaries and likes/dislikes should be sufficient.

@Henrik--do you want to pick the Postman book? I'll read whichever you pick first since I plan I reading all of them. I guess I'll add "how to watch the news" to the list now, too.

Are the Postman books all the same? If we all read different Postman books, could it be combined into one discussion? I have no idea, just asking.