Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Your favorite books and links
jennypenny

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by jennypenny »

I'm in.

I hadn't thought about the Girard connection. I read a couple of his books after his name came up in the other thread. Now I'm curious about this book.

@Dragline--Ubiquity just made it to the top of my pile. I'm going to read it this weekend.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Are we going with this book? Amazon has a promo code for 30% off right now (HOLIDAY30) and I'll use it for this if it's definitely the next pick.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I already have the book and Dragline seemed to be interested as well. Let's see what we learn. Hope someone else will join.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Cool. I just ordered it using the promo code, and it said it won't arrive until Jan. 2. :o

Hopefully it will be here sooner. I'm a fast reader, so I'll get through it quickly once it arrives. I'm looking forward to it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Just got a copy yesterday. Already through chapter one. Seems wordy. Hope it gets better.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I got an email from Amazon saying the book will be here next week, so no worries about delays if anyone else wants to order it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I've finished it. Fire when ready in a new thread.

henrik

Post by henrik »

JP, how about you? I'm not quite finished yet, but I'll start a thread with some questions soon anyway. We can always add to it as we go along.
Meanwhile, since it seems to be only three of us for this book, maybe the club can move on to the next one?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Sure, I'll ping the next book-tator to be here and in a pm.

5to9, its you -- are you up for some New Year's book-tating?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm good to go whenever you're ready, henrik. I'll be offline a couple of days this week, so no rush on my end.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Interestingly the owner of the largest social network in the world just started a book club:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/03/news/ma ... book-club/

Here's hoping Facebook can actually do some good and get a lot more people to read. The first book is The End of Power.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Copycat! I see he's also effectively appointed himself "Book-tator for Life." We'll have none of that here!

Had to laugh when I read this from your link:

""Please only participate in the discussions if you've actually read the books and have relevant points to add. The group will be moderated to keep it focused," he stressed in his status update."

Lotsa luck with that, Zuckie. I predict a name-calling, bloviating, troll frenzy.

Now those of you enterprising folks looking for an internet business should simply buy the Zuck-tator book, create a podcast or YouTube channel where you read it out loud and maybe create some Cliff Notes for it. Or hire someone with a thick Indian accent to read it to make it more interesting.

Then let the ad clicking begin.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

My apologies for the delay. I haven't been able to participate in the book club as much as I would have liked lately, but if a book-tator is needed, I can step up. The next book on my personal reading queue is "Vagabonding" by Rolf Potts. If there are others interested in it, I'd be happy to make that my pick and lead a discussion when the time comes.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I think we should proceed, since only three of us read the last book (I think). We can deal with that one separately when henrik is ready.

And so, without further ado:

Your wish is our command, oh great and powerful 5to9! We will proceed to read Vagabonding by R. Potts:

http://www.amazon.com/Vagabonding-Uncom ... 0812992180 (you can find it other places too)

Give us a few weeks and then start a separate thread about it, oh wise one!

henrik

Post by henrik »

henrik wrote:Private Truths, Public Lies
The Social Consequences of Preference Falsification

Timur Kuran
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php? ... 0674707580
http://books.google.ee/books/about/Priv ... KBaiCpSxYC
I've started a thread here.

C40

Post by C40 »

I got Vagabonding this afternoon. I'll be reading it soon :-D

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

Vagabonding doesn't interest me, but if you guys get on a military history kick; i'd be interested.

meanwhile, i posted here because i read stop aging now this week. recommends lots of vitamins you can take and foods to eat to help you age better and increases your chances to avoid diseases and cancer. would cost more than an ere diet, but i figure it balances out if it avoids hospital visits down the line. seemed to have some ere type thinking imo.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

Is there anyone planning to read Vagabonding who hasn't gotten to it yet? I will plan to start the thread this week unless I hear otherwise.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I finished it, A nice easy read by an enthusiastic author. Ready when you are, oh fearless Book-tator!