Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Your favorite books and links
Ego

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by Ego »

Whao.... I completely forgot about this and I did not see dragline's post. Sorry about that. I'm going to have to get busy.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Well, it won't take long to catch up. They are short and to the point, which I'm sure you know. Only took me a small part of one night to read them.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Yes! I've been looking forward to Ego's selections. They've been on my kindle a while now. Count me in.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

*bump*

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Was working on getting a selection from vivacious before I ran off backpacking about July 20. Just getting re-integrated to the internet now, but have not heard back. Will skip to next soon -- still need the weekend to catch up on everything.

C40

Post by C40 »

I'm up... I'm narrowing down a short list, and want to start reading one of the options before deciding. I'll have a book for the group within a week.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Any updates?

We are approaching prime book club season folks!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

C40? C40? I know you've got something for us.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Also ready and waiting here!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Haha, no pressure C40!

Pick Atlas Shrugged. That would quiet everyone down. :D

Chad

Post by Chad »

Don't listen to Jenny!

Ego

Post by Ego »

C40

Post by C40 »

... Coming soon...

C40

Post by C40 »

Well I hoped to share a book that is less well-known here, but I was ill-prepared, not having a selection beforehand. Then, I saw that my back-up idea is already on the book club list a few people down.. So:

We're going to study Meditations.

I will be reading two different translations at the same time:

- Gregory Hays (2,002)
- Maxwell Staniforth (1964)

I'll let you decide which edition to read. There are a handful of others. The Gregory Hays version is in modern english. It is simple and straightforward. The Maxwell Staniforth edition is a little more dated. There are some Thous in it, but some passages are more colorful, regal, interesting to read.

So here's the plan:
I'll select certain passages that are particularly interesting or relevant to ERE. I will post those passages in the discussion thread. So for those wanting ERE Book Club LITE - you can just wait and participate in the thread without reading the entire book. For those who already have a different edition or have easier access to a different version, you can read that one and still participate

You can get them here:

STANIFORTH (1964):
Kindle Version. $7
Paperback $4
Hardcover $4
OR YOUR LIBRARY

(I linked to all three because sometimes in the Staniforth versions in Amazon, when you click a different book type, it can take you to a different translation. All of these links appear to be Staniforth translations. I got the kindle version so I know that one is.

HAYS (2,002):
All Versions $6 to $15. The different versions appear to all be Hays translations.
For the torrent users (free) (There is another version on kickass.to that is said to be a Martin Hammond Translation (2,006) - but it is not - it's actually the Hays version)
OR YOUR LIBRARY

(at some later point, I'm also going to see if there are different translations of the Ehciridion and Letters from a Stoic. Seneca seems to have the most/best ERE type quotes, but it is so dang long, and the translation I have is heavy and slow reading.)

EDIT - ADDITION - In the discussion thread, I will also ask the readers to share one passage that they really enjoyed / that stood out to them / that made them think.
Last edited by C40 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

The Sleeper has Awoken! All hail the great Marcus Aurelius Antoninus -- err, C40!

He's the man with the plan, which we shall follow! Lead on!

You may also find this book here for free in several formats -- which version I knoweth not:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2680

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

This one has been on my reading list for years. This sounds like a great excuse to finally read it.

C40

Post by C40 »

Made a addition to my post - noting that in the discussion thread I will ask those who are reading the book to share one passage - their favorite or one that stood out / made them think / etc.

C40

Post by C40 »

Ok - so whoever is in on Meditations - area you ready for the discussion thread? I'm pretty much ready to start it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, go ahead.

Sere

Post by Sere »

Greetings! Is this fine club open to new members?
I have just started reading Meditations and would be keen to catch up on some of the other book selections this group has discussed in the past.