Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Your favorite books and links
Dragline

Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by Dragline »

Does anyone have any interest in having a forum book club? The idea would be that anyone who wants to participate would read the same book by x-date and then discuss it here. We could take turns picking the book, although given the nature of this forum, I think it should be non-fiction.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy »

Oh, yes, and yes!

I'd so be down for this.

Especially given the insights and knowledge of some posters here.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Yes!! I also second the non-fiction only idea.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Totally up for this. I don't read enough non-fiction and this would give me just the right incentive.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Good idea Dragline. I'm in if it's non-fiction. Too difficult to meet everyone's taste for fiction.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

The ERE Book Club Logo:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm in. I'll wear my favorite reading hat :)

My only request is that all the books aren't about finance/economics. I'd rather rotate between different categories like economics, psychology, biography, and classics.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Great idea Dragline!

elegant

Post by elegant »

Great idea, but how is this going to work? This topic appeared in numerous threads already.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I nominate "A History of Fictional Financial Economics" as the first book.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ok, it looks like we have a quorum.

To make this efficient and get going quickly, we'll appoint a book-tator. Since itchy brain was the first in the pool, he will be the first book-tator. The rest of you will get in line after him in order of your posts above. I'll be last, so I can be first in book club heaven.

Oh, most beneficent book-tator, please select the book we shall read! Please pick something you have not read yet yourself that you think would be interesting to the group (and maybe something not ridiculously long and that we can find). And please pick a date a few weeks hence when you will be the first to grace us with your most magnificent thoughts about your selection.

The rest of you peons get in line and keep your mouths shut. If you have already read what itchy selects, don't let on or comment about it until he posts about it first. And if you don't care to read it, keep your mouths shut and wait your turn to be the book-tator. ;-)

C40

Post by C40 »

Sounds good. I think I'll participate

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Flourish by Martin Seligman

Yikes!Ok!

Perhaps as pre-amble for each book-tator, the potator intros a little about their current tastes and slants, etc?

TATOR PRE-AMBLE

This guys book-tators general reading slant is philosophy, psychology, meditation, spirituality and fiction (but yeah, no fiction allowed).

I used to read more on the things related to economics and finance which may be more interesting to others here, but I pretty much tune these subjects out now (sorry :( ). I would definitely read it if the next book-tator suggests such type of a book, if at the very least, to get out of my tunnel vision of focus.

Being that the criteria must be a book I haven't read yet, I'm going to go with the book that is next on my reading queue.

It's a fairly recent book and it's from a pretty well known psychologist, Martin Seligman (who pioneered studies on Learned Helplessness).

The book is:

Flourish
By Martin Seligman

Here is the Amazon Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Flourish-Visionar ... roduct_top

The books sounds like it's less of a self-help book and more about empirical studies based on science, so that may make it more palpable for others who don't like self-help.

I will post my review within two weeks, around mid October or sooner. If I zip it out in a week I will post it then and wait? If it's a little later, I will chime in with a progress report.

Please if you read it already, don't chime in yet with anything like 'oh that book stunk!!'.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Thank you, oh glorious book-tator, for guiding us in our search for knowledge and enlightenment. We look forward to your eternal wisdom. ;-)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Just a thought ... for those who get things interlibrary or need to put books on hold first, you might want to get books started somewhat far ahead in time.

PS: I would have gone with BookOprah... 8-)

Felix

Post by Felix »

I'm in. Brilliant idea, Dragline!

Felix

Post by Felix »

Book-tator:

fireere

Post by fireere »

This sounds like a great idea, I'm in. But I do agree with Jacob about some more lead time. I'm getting Flourish from my library but they're all checked out right now so it'll probably be a couple weeks before I even get my hands on it. But either way I'm looking forward to the book club.

Ego

Post by Ego »

First in my library queue for the audio version and third for the physical book. I'm in.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ok, well the next three book-tators after we dethrone itchy will be theanimal, s_w and chad. That's like to take us to around Thanksgiving or maybe a little later. If you guys know what you will be picking, please let us know as soon as you can.