Tao Te Ching (trans. Stephen Mitchell)

Your favorite books and links
Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

I have been re-reading this translation for 15+ years, and I regularly find ever deeper insight, particularly after having been away from it for months at a time.
This is a great resource for alerting oneself to the pros and cons of almost any endeavor, including ERE.

jacqjolie

Post by jacqjolie »

Stop Working... Start Living - How I Retired at the Age of 36 Without Winning the Lottery by Dianne Nahirny was a good book on retirement from a more frugal perspective. At retirement in 1996, she only had a net worth of $225k and her house was $150k of that. I think she lives on about $6k/year too.
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Working-Star ... roduct_top

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Damn! Somebody beat me to it again. And I guess I need to change that thing about not needing to win the lottery on the back cover of my book. ARGH! ;-P
I'm somewhat pleased to note that that book sells used for $141!!
Maybe I should just sell 100 copies of mine and then keep another 100 for myself. Corner the market ;-D

Q

Post by Q »

I watched that one guy's special about the Tao (several times) - somewhat felt like he was scamming, but at the same time it was interesting to listen to.
Any link to the book online (some people on the book post had links (for us lazies) to free digital copies)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

jacqjolie

Post by jacqjolie »

Hey Steve, sorry I didn't put the Nahirny book in its own thread, I wasn't familiar with the forum software and made a boo boo. I second your recommendation of the Tao Te Ching, although it's been years since I've read it. Thanks for reminding me it's something I should pick up again.
It's ok Jacob, I'm sure your book will be much different, this one's autobiographical, not philosophical. But it was helpful to me at the time since there weren't many early retirement sites or books that I could find that laid things out step by step. And she was single, so it was from that perspective too. From what I've seen, there's a copy of the book in pretty much every library I've been to in Canada if anyone's interested. Since it's not available, maybe I'll do a thorough summary on my blog. Or try to get in touch with her again for some kind of interview as I had an email conversation with her many years ago and she's a super nice lady.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

ERE posted an older translation, one I haven't read yet, but will look into it. Here's the Mitchell translation online:
http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phal ... te-v3.html

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I first read the Tao Te Ching in high school and got a lot out of it. It's on my list of books to re-read every year or two.