Creative Thinking on the Decline

Your favorite books and links
Ego

Post by Ego »

It takes creativity to figure out novel ways to solve problems rather than succumbing to the easy solution of throwing money at them. According to one standard measurement, today more than 85% of American children are less creative than the average child was in 1984.
-In Kim’s words, the data indicate that “children have become less emotionally expressive, less energetic, less talkative and verbally expressive, less humorous, less imaginative, less unconventional, less lively and passionate, less perceptive, less apt to connect seemingly irrelevant things, less synthesizing, and less likely to see things from a different angle.”
-The biggest decline is in the measure called Creative Elaboration, which assesses the ability to take a particular idea and expand on it in an interesting and novel way. Between 1984 and 2008, the average Elaboration score on the TTCT, for every age group from kindergarten through 12th grade, fell by more than 1 standard deviation.
-His prior work with fighter pilots in the Air Force had convinced him that creativity is the central variable underlying personal achievement and ability to adapt to unusual conditions.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fre ... creativity

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

An interesting observation of the "pendulum swing", especially if you are a student of generational history (a la "The Fourth Turning").
If you were born in the 60s or 70s, you have learned to survive (or not) via a certain form of creativity. (Although we don't talk about Fight Club, dammit.)
I think ultimately that the author has a limited sense of history. That type of creativity will be in vogue again in another generation.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

It certainly feels that way. When I meet kids in their early 20s, they scare me. They accept a level of conformity and have a feeling about selling themselves that I find very, very uncomfortable. This sums up my feelings pretty well: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/opini ... wanted=all

Felix

Post by Felix »

@Ego:

I think one of the reasons for the breakdown of children's creativity is the rising amount of basically unparented kids. I think we are facing a generation of kids raised by single moms overburdened by social demands from all sides. Female happiness has seen a strong decline since the seventies as women had professional demands of career excellence simply added to the already existing requirements.
Combine this with the questionable freedom of basically living in a hook-up dating culture corresponding with the "freedom" offered by a lack of long-term career prospects and you have a nice list of plausible explainations for this development. Same goes for guys. One part of collateral damage to this is kids in such a "parental" environment.
Compared to a usual care unit, there now are two alternatives on the rise, being neglected and being overburdened. One is simply parents being too bound to their jobs and careers timewise and trying to compensate with money. The other is taking the kid as a benchmark for success and having it overloaded with classes and pressure to perform from an early age. Combine this with a materialistic culture that promotes narcissistic behavior and it's a clear path to a generation of disturbed children.
Lack of creativity, I think, is the least of their problems.
@secretwealth:
Great article. Some PR genius of Edward Bernaysian skill has managed to convice people in general to view everything through a business lens. Self help books on self-branding, "business model: you!" and stuff like that sells in masses.
The article puts many things very eloquently:

"The small business is the idealized social form of our time. Our culture hero is not the artist or reformer, not the saint or scientist, but the entrepreneur. ... The characteristic art form of our age may be the business plan."
It was also said in the article that the term "selling out" has become tellingly absent. Maybe the term sell-out generation is even more fitting. I find it a very troubling development.
The article also said:

"These movements always have an economic substrate."
I think there is a deep fear of the underlying uncertainty of the future in this development. In an environment of more and more each-for-himself, such narcissistic strategies are successful. I think it may well be some sort of a defense mechanism, selling out to save yourself in troubling times. I think the economic substrate to look at is the current economic crisis and the decrease in job stability and economic safety-net.
The hipster is here to stay.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

In my world, helicopter parenting is the norm. Kids activities are chosen for them, their playdates organized for them, and any disputes between kids are immediately moderated by the parents. Kids are constantly supervised. The idea of just sending your kids out in the backyard to play is foreign to most of my friends. (I've actually been told it's "white trashy" to let my kids "crawl around in the dirt" in my backyard) Play is too organized and doesn't let them be creative. (organized trips to Color Me Mine do NOT count as letting your kids be creative)
I also think schooling in the US contributes to this problem. Schools now teach to the test. The answers are more important (not the problem solving) and they're taught too many tricks and shortcuts for finding the right answer. The kids look smart on paper, but have lost some problem solving ability.
Add in the lack of traditional creative outlets (music classes, art classes, creative writing) and you get kids that perform like robots on tests but show a distinct lack of creativity.
I actually think the younger generation in school now is reversing that trend. They seem to be rebeling against the "teach to the test" culture. Technology is helping them find ways to express themselves. As dragline said, things will swing back the other way at some point.
Someone has to explain all of the Fight Club references to me.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

You need to watch the movie sometime -- its an iconic representation of Generation-X made in the late 90s that captures a lot of visceral feelings. Here's a typical clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98LeLZ2crZE

Ego

Post by Ego »

Four great responses, four perfectly plausible explanations as to why kids are suddenly much less creative.
When I read the article I immediately though of John Taylor Gatto's idea that the modern school system was created precisely to wring the individuality out of children so they could become better citizens. http://youtu.be/OkT0k57tAHo
And a fight club reference http://vimeo.com/40567192

Felix

Post by Felix »

I'm not very fond of formal education. Curiosity is a primitive drive. Like sex-drive or hunger. If we tought children to eat like we "teach them to learn" we would all have eating disorders. There's even this nice term called bulimia learning for when you cram for an exam, then puke it all on paper without actually digesting any of the material. The metaphor is very fitting.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Fight Club speaks to Gen X--we're angsty, disgusted at the consumerism shoved down our throats, and dissatisfied with the 45-year cubicle dwelling that is our lot. There are many responses to this--ERE being one of the more productive.
Why so much angst? We were raised to be critical, and to doubt.
The Millennials--not so much. They happily put on a fake smile and feel pride in selling artisanal cheeses at an open fair. For my generation, such blatant selling is considered degrading.
It is a fascinating cultural shift, and makes young people seem very alien to me.
Who is the Kurt Cobain of our time? Could there even be one?
The lack of angst makes the Millennials much nicer people--they're more pleasant to be around. And they're dull as dishwater. (Again, speaking in generalizations leads to inaccuracies--there are plenty of exceptions.)
Could be worse--they could be boomers.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

@Ego -- Thanks for the reference -- I was thinking about that idea too, but couldn't remember where it came from. What I recall is the idea that the educational system was designed in the late 19th century to prepare people to work in the industrial age at monotonous jobs for long hours. Otherwise workers just tended to work long enough to earn what they needed that day and then took the rest of the day off!

J_

Post by J_ »

Aside: Jacob don't need brand basic materials: He always buys 2x4's
I can relate too, I was allowed to use the woodworking tools of my grandfather and of my father. I "helped" at 8 the carpenter who was working in our house.

And at high school I solicited to become amanuensis in the classroom of physics, so I was free to investigate e.g. the famous "Maagdenburger Half Balls" (to proof atmospheric pressure of the air, fascinating stuff) It was my basis to become building engineer.
Back to topic: I hope that much more mothers like Jenny, let's children explore as much as possible. Further: I don't believe that creativity is on the decline, I think that creativity is a fountain from within, which luckily can not be damaged by stupid school methods.

prosaic

Post by prosaic »

This is why we send our kids to a Sudbury school (sudval.org), and if we can't afford it at any point, would homeschool them (and did, for three years, until we found the Sudbury model).
"Factory model" education has just gotten worse, between NCLB and "zero tolerance" behavioral approaches that lead to little kids being expelled for holding their hand in the shape of a gun, or being accused of sexual harassment at the age of four for over-eagerly hugging an aide.
(Google for those stories -- they're true).
This applies to most private schools, too.
We're the weird family whose kids actually *play* outside in our neighborhood, riding bikes/scooters/ripsticks, shooting each other with nerf guns, playing in a plastic pool on hot days, etc. My kids help mow the lawn, rake leaves, pull weed, take the trash cans in and out, etc. In the summer they have to call school friends to come over and hang out, because neighborhood kids are all overscheduled.
During the Irene hurricane last year we lost power for 3 days. The post-hurricane weather was very nice, and without electricity we wandered to the local park 2 blocks away. It was FILLED with families -- a TON of kids we had never, ever seen were there. We saw kids riding bikes, on scooters, playing ball, etc. I'd say at least 10 kids per age for mine (my older two are 13 and 10).
The day the power went back on we never saw them again. When we go to the park we typically see no more than the same 5 families or so, all with preschool or smaller kids.
I don't know what the older kids *do*, but they aren't playing freestyle.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

+1 jennypenny's comments.
Teach To The Test creates the perception that every question has a known authoritative answer, which can always be computed by following the right Plug and Chug pattern, or Googling, or plagiarizing.
Helicopter parenting reinforces that perception, and sets the expectation that open-ended problems requiring creative problem solving, either do not exist, or are unfair or impossible to solve.
Together they actively prevent young people from having any appreciation for, or opportunity to practice, creative thinking.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

It's also how Asia works. I find it interesting that Asian countries are struggling to make their schools more western, while America is struggling to make its schools more Asian.
How silly human beings can be.

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

Look at video games , it's a good example.

I found creativity in video games declined in recent years.

Now it's all about FPS or Zombies.