38 Economic Maps

Your favorite books and links
Chad

38 Economic Maps

Post by Chad »

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/26/6063749/38 ... al-economy

31 - This one is quite clever in how it depicts the population for each country at each level of wealth.

33 - This one is rather stunning and kind of suggests the emerging country that will permanently move out of that label.

35 - Who is the poor bastard who gathers the info for this one?

Dragline

Re: 38 Economic Maps

Post by Dragline »

Maybe the same person who did #22. Pigs 'n shit!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Chad wrote:35 - Who is the poor bastard who gathers the info for this one?
Anecdotally.

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

I went through these being quite excited to get to reach number 35. Was not disappointed.

fips

Post by fips »

Don't mean to spoil the party .. but open defecation is actually a major threat to health:

"Those countries where open defecation is most widely practised have the highest numbers of deaths of children under the age of five, as well as high levels of undernutrition, high levels of poverty and large disparities between the rich and poor. There are also strong gender impacts: lack of safe, private toilets makes women and girls vulnerable to violence and is an impediment to girls’ education."

That's from the latest UNICEF/WHO report on the progress on drinking water and sanitation.

So, yes, it's an important issue and it's the UN (and its extended institutions) who keep(s) track.

PS: If you are interested in water scarcity (and sanitation), read the UN reports. Spoiler alert: Third world countries are still left behind (surprise ...).

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

#35 That's just ... wow.

I got caught up clicking through all of the charts on that site. I liked this one ... http://www.vox.com/a/how-the-us-is-changing

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Interesting cartography. Pleasantly surprised 37 clicks weren't required... The animated gif sizing nations based on $/day hurt my brain, like a map where N is not up.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:#35 That's just ... wow.

I got caught up clicking through all of the charts on that site. I liked this one ... http://www.vox.com/a/how-the-us-is-changing
15 - Is depressing.

fips

Post by fips »

jennypenny wrote:I got caught up clicking through all of the charts on that site. I liked this one ... http://www.vox.com/a/how-the-us-is-changing
Maybe 17 can help to solve 16 (+2).

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Map #26 mentions rice agriculture & the density of population in that circle. This combined with some of the other maps regarding infrastructure gave the sense that the world could easily support double the population. On the other hand, we're probably missing some maps here to temper that view, such as some ecological ones.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@JamesR - The sites of oldest civilizations (several thousand years!) in the world, namely SE Asia and the Nile Delta (before they screwed it up by building the Aswan dam), are based on two things: lots of water (either from rain or from a river) and either controlling run-off (Asia) or getting fertile silt/soil from upstream. These conditions aren't found in very many places in the world. Specifically, they're really only found in those two (and now one) places.

We're talking sustainable agriculture here.

There are, of course, lots of places that can supported by mining groundwater and fertilizer and temporarily (for many decades, but not hundreds of years) boost production way above the two areas above. For example, the Aswan dam increased water supply at the cost of cutting off the silt, but that's temporarily okay because nutrients can simply be imported from elsewhere as long as oil is cheap. When that's no longer available, there's little turning back.