One thing you did the ERE way today

Your favorite books and links
Stahlmann

One thing you did the ERE way today

Post by Stahlmann »

I know this forum is thought to be used as serious discussion medium.
But I expect this topic to be more ,,spammy".
Please share your daily habbits, activities, insights you did the ERE way.

My first post will be not probably so hardcore, but I biked to the centre of city to do my business.
Well, I was not ashamed of the frame of bike, it is almost 2x old as me (anyway some kind shift in consumerism mindset).

Topic is intentend not only to ,,savings tips". Depper thoughts are also welcomed.
We can also discuss about totally opposite actions (you wish you had not done).

I am probably still on example level and I would appreciate any ideas.
I will bump this topic time to time.

ThisDinosaur

Re: One thing you did the ERE way today

Post by ThisDinosaur »

"The ERE way" could mean so many things. I'm always a massive cheapskate, that's easy. Jacob once wrote something about the goal has to be the first thing you think about in the morning and the last thing at night. I try to read something about finance and DIY every day. Box 2 in my Eisenhower matrix is always filled with something that gets me closer to FI. Like coach Dan John says, "if its important do it every day. If its not important, don't do it at all."

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Well, it's still pretty early here! Today is payday, so something like 78% of my income net of taxes is getting tossed into the stash. I brewed my coffee at home using the cheapest per ounce coffee I can stomach. I used a razor blade to slit open a toothpaste tube to get a little more out (though maybe using toothpaste at all is an ERE foul). I had my house open last night to drop the inside temp into the lower 60s (a little chilly, but will absorb more heat before the a/c kicks on). None of that is hard core, but it's stuff my neighbors are not doing and how I roll these days.

Nothing too profoundly philosophical has emerged. Campitor made an interesting statement in another thread (~"the opposite of poverty is self reliance") which has me thinking about my own poverty. In that perspective, we are all a mix of rich and poor, I think. I'm also wrestling with the question: how much in dollars is the next 2 years and 7 days worth to me if spent in ER versus continuing to work?

Dunno if it's ER, but I always try to make a conscious effort to begin the day from where my feet hit the floor, and not dwell on coulda, shoulda, wouldas, nor being anxious about the future.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 am
I brewed my coffee at home using the cheapest per ounce coffee I can stomach.
Coffee is the one thing I splurge on, buying only Cameron's Coffee (I sure hope you know the brand). Cut the big expenses and splurge on the tiny.

I took public transit, but that is an every workday thing.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

cmonkey wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:04 am
IlliniDave wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 am
I brewed my coffee at home using the cheapest per ounce coffee I can stomach.
Coffee is the one thing I splurge on, buying only Cameron's Coffee (I sure hope you know the brand). Cut the big expenses and splurge on the tiny.

I took public transit, but that is an every workday thing.
I've never heard of it or seen it around here. Have to google it later.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Picked up a 'broken' and expensive lawnmover for free, as well as a posh and 'broken' Emmaljunga pram, fixed both in less than 20 minutes and are about to sell it on the local version of Craigslist. Expected income: 400$. Found a completely free compost bin with worm tubes, air tubes, poking sticks etc. Found a completely free wheelbarow too. Soon to be installed/sold respectively.

Traded my carpenter skills for lots of materials for raised beds. Trading time for social capital and actual physical stuff.

Soon: trading sourdough for even more social capital. (sourdough is apparently magical, anyone who gives it away must be a powerful wizard...)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 am

They are based in Shakopee, MN. Best coffee in the world and a great selection. The in-laws always buy us bulk 4 LB bags for Christmas during their annual November sale. This year I didn't have to buy coffee until about 3 weeks ago.

Add one more thing to my 'today' list. Called Starbucks to request free nitrogen fertilizer (coffee grounds) for my garden. Will pick up about 10 LB tomorrow and will request more at that time.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Today? Employed the slave labor of DS#3 to make the family coffee at home. Got in some exercise at home with dumbbells and kettlebells. Indulged in the free entertainment of a couple podcasts featuring Joe Salatin (Polyface Farms) and Carolyn Dweck ("Mindset") as guests. Carpooled to town.

Planning to take afternoon off for fun road trip to watch children perform not-quite death defying feats on small bodies of water and make YouTube videos. After the left-overs for lunch.

Sold GS high! Bought NKE low! :lol:

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I biked to the pool. I witnessed the fact that sometimes it is better to not own car. I was faster than them!

Paid for the pool. I do not have carnet at the moment, but difference in cost per entrance is not so high.
I am thinking about other ways to obtain cheaper access to swimming pool.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

cmonkey wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 am
IlliniDave wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 am

They are based in Shakopee, MN. Best coffee in the world and a great selection. The in-laws always buy us bulk 4 LB bags for Christmas during their annual November sale. This year I didn't have to buy coffee until about 3 weeks ago.

Add one more thing to my 'today' list. Called Starbucks to request free nitrogen fertilizer (coffee grounds) for my garden. Will pick up about 10 LB tomorrow and will request more at that time.
Ah, well, then I'll inquire when I head up to the cabin in a couple months. Of course, everyone up that way is biased towards local favorite Gene Hicks Coffee based in Ely.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Being retired, it's easy to say I haven't spent any money since getting groceries on Monday. Next grocery trip will be Friday, mainly for more produce and a jar of peanut butter. Wife will write checks for the monthly bills this weekend.

Mounded potatoes in garden. Will water garden this evening.

Pulled 4 lbs of sirloin steak from freezer to thaw for cooking tomorrow, purchased for $2.97/lb when it was on sale. This is the highest price I'll pay for meat.

Ate chicken thighs for lunch which had been cooked last week & then frozen. I think these were purchased on sale for $1/lb.

Checked portfolio this morning before working in the garden and at lunch time, just before market close. Noted that someone started selling off OHI with no news appearing; volume was double the normal daily volume.

Will likely engage in part time work this evening and thus be paid to learn more about using CloudCompare to extract information from lidar scans.

If mowing is finished this afternoon, then I'll be cutting firewood tomorrow.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Fantastic weather out yesterday, the street I just moved to was throwing a BBQ street party. I was invited but didn't have any beers in, so I rode my bike to the shop instead of driving the minuscule 1.5 miles. I picked up some fancy micro-brew ales and shared them around the new neighbours who subsequently offered to help with garden chores (don't yet have the tools) and painting the livingroom, score! Easily £100 of market rate labour obtained in return for gifting 3 x £1.30 bottles of ale. 8-)

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

vexed87 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:19 am
...Easily £100 of market rate labour obtained in return for gifting 3 x £1.30 bottles of ale. 8-)
Do you know what pays dividends? Being a person people likes to be around.
ERE (the forum) has way too much emphasis on monetary capital, while ERE (the practice) contains social capital too.

My father in law could probably retire by now and not spend a dime for the rest of his life considering how many favours people owe him by now...

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Didn't do anything ERE yesterday. Oddly it was a pretty neurotypical day.

Today I adjusted the valve lash on my car. It has a 15,000 mile adjustment interval and it absolutely needs it. All exhaust valves were tight after 20,000 miles. I got lazy this year and waited on it. I keep saying it doesn't need it so often but every time I do it (I've owned these old Mercedes cars since 2003) I've found tight exhaust valves. I never learn or I'm hopelessly optimistic. I think I saved some coin.

I filled two big bags with high quality fruit and veggies from the farmers market. I spent good money but I don't think ERE life is all about being cheap. It's about making smart financial choices.

I cringed when I read IlliniDave's description of his coffee. Peet's coffee is a big quality of life thing for me. But I get it, we make choices. I eat all greasy adjusting my valves to save a few bucks I blow out on coffee beans and ripe fruit.

C40

Post by C40 »

The last two days for me:

Yesterday:
- Woke up parked on a street in Springdale, Utah (which is right at the entrance to Zion National Park) and drove into the park and parked in the parking lot at the visitors center, where the shuttles pick people up. (this time of year you have to ride a shuttle to get into a certain part of the park)
- Hung out for the morning, at and stuff
- Rode the shuttle into the park and hiked up Angel's Landing. If you've ever looked at pictures of Zion, you've seen the view from the top. It's amazing.
- Found a secluded spot at the top with a perfect view for taking pictures. Hung out there for about 3 hours relaxing, waiting for the clouds to change for pictures, reading books, and I took a nap up there.
- That night, drove back into Springdale and found quiet place to park behind a hotel

Today:
- Woke up early and drove into the park again
- Hung out, ate, watched the live tracker for the Giro d'Italia bike race
- Went for a bike ride into the park. It's basically perfect for riding. There's a ~6 mile climb that's about 6% average. At the top, the park Rangers control traffic going into a tunnel gave me some water. There's another ~6 mile section of road going through the canyon, with amazing sandstone clifs on each side, and a river flowing through the valley next to the raod, this part is gently rolling hills. And then there's a couple miles of MUT connecting the parking lot to the start of both sections of road described above.

In these two days, I've ~spent the following:
- Burned ~$0.70 of gasoline and ~$.20 of propane.
- Ate ~$15 of food

Yesterday, I got a $150 dividend from Nestle. Life is good.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Sclass wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 5:35 pm
I cringed when I read IlliniDave's description of his coffee. Peet's coffee is a big quality of life thing for me. But I get it, we make choices. I eat all greasy adjusting my valves to save a few bucks I blow out on coffee beans and ripe fruit.
Yep we have to choose which battles to fight. ;)

And I said the cheapest coffee I can stomach, not the cheapest I can buy!

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute slept on the floor
used public transportation
used a french press

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

I generally drink good coffee (because Seattle) and crap wine (cardboardeaux). I can taste and adore good coffee, but I have no wine palate whatsoever and refuse to pretend. Could it have something to do with the ice I put in the wine? :lol: So...I'm doing my ERE part by drinking wine from a box.

What else? DH and I spent the day mowing, weeding, tending to the bees, cutting firewood and sitting around talking about how great it would be to pay someone to do the hard work for us. We've been having the same conversation for years, and yet we continue to do it ourselves.

For lunch, we ate chicken thighs we bought for .69/lb (take that, George!). DH read a Kindle book from the library, and I read the ERE forum using our laughably expensive AT&T internet.

I did not sleep on the floor, except insofar as our memory foam mattress sits on the floor. Does that count?

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

FBeyer wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:29 am
Do you know what pays dividends? Being a person people likes to be around.
ERE (the forum) has way too much emphasis on monetary capital, while ERE (the practice) contains social capital too.
Even though this is brought up all the time on the forums, this morning this struck me as something that everyone else in the world except people who frequent this forum have already figured out. It's probably a weakness of the prevailing personality type here but .... :lol: Money is easy, people are hard.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

halfmoon wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 pm
For lunch, we ate chicken thighs we bought for .69/lb (take that, George!).
Woot!