So Good They Can't Ignore You thread?

Your favorite books and links
BRUTE

So Good They Can't Ignore You thread?

Postby BRUTE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm

wasn't there discussion about this? brute's currently reading it and wanted to check what others thought, but can't seem to find the thread here.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: So Good They Can't Ignore You thread?

Postby jacob » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

viewtopic.php?t=3621 ... not a big thread, but Cal Newport pops up here and there mostly whenever it comes to noob career questions.

Dragline

Postby Dragline » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm

It's one of the books I make my college-aged kids read. Along with ERE. ;-)

Gilberto de Piento

Postby Gilberto de Piento » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:51 pm

I haven't read it but Deep Work was helpful to me (same author).

BRUTE

Postby BRUTE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 pm

brute thanks humans

Dragline

Postby Dragline » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 pm

The central idea is simple, but profound. Go develop skills and competencies in whatever you can be good at or want to be good at -- particularly something that others may value. Passion and meaning emerges from the development of skills and competencies.

It's very good advice for most people and "worked for me", even though it was not written when I was doing it.

Gilberto de Piento

Postby Gilberto de Piento » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 pm

I suppose I should say what I liked about Deep Work. The main thing was that I need to train my brain that it's ok to be bored and not to entertain itself with distractions at every opportunity. Seems obvious but it's important to set aside time to work without distractions.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 am

I didn't found it usefull, but I was in academia at the time, and it was hard to see how getting better at saying what other researcher already knew was going to become satisfying.

7Wannabe5

Postby 7Wannabe5 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 am

How about "So Engaged in My Own Interests I Don't Give a Flying Fuck What They Think" as a possible alternate title?

pukingRainbows

Postby pukingRainbows » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm

I read this a while back so I don't remember so much but a few things stuck with me.
The underlying message was really good. The framework he laid out made a lot of sense as a way to work towards becoming successful. It has been useful to me as an entrepreneur looking to explore new business opportunities as I often find myself thinking in terms of the ideas he presented.

I really didn't enjoy his writing though. There were a few things I found confusing. For example, one of his main points seemed to be addressing the fallacy of "follow your passion" as career advice however, all his examples of people's jobs in the book seem to be people who would qualify as following their passion. Surfer camera guy? Elite medical researcher? That's all I remember. But I think his point would have been better served looking at people who found success and satisfaction in jobs that weren't as glamourous.

As well, the layout and structure of the book was noticeably bad in my opinion. I remember actually pausing once or twice as I was reading, taken aback by the strangeness of it.

Anyway, the ideas was good, but it was lacking in other areas. I think he mentioned how he wrote this over 4 months while he was driving across America or something like that. It really shows. I think a good editor could have made this book much better.

Return to “Resources & Recommended Reading”