Man who quit high-flying job to go off the grid and live in a tree house

Your favorite books and links

FBeyer

Re: Man who quit high-flying job to go off the grid and live in a tree house

Post by FBeyer »

Moral: Don't have kids.

Living in a treehouse for a year could almost go on my bucket list.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

Moral: Don't have kids.
Kids are not a valid excuse not to have and live wild dreams. Live your dreams while kids are young, live your dreams when kids grow up. Life is full of change and opportunities.

Did

Post by Did »

My brother is planning on buying a boat and living in it with his small kids in a couple of years.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

I envy him his choice of spouse, or financial strength to do something like that. I'm still in the need-to-see-it camp before I can understand how such a deal works out.

Homeschooling isn't an option around here, not as far as I know, and homeschooling would be necessary, were I to live in a treehouse or on a boat. Also: I very much (and this is an entirely personal thing) think that my daughter needs to see regular people as part of her upbringing and experience how others are different from my GF, and especially how others are different from me.

I don't want her to step off a boat at age 13 and go:
WTF don't my peers know how to bake bread and hoist a sail, all they care about is clothes, reality TV and snapchat, and for some reason, I'm the one being bullied!
My quest for financial independence and grating overly-rational-while-simultaneously-being-a-complete-child personality, sprinkled with an obsession for efficiency, coupled with a complete scatterbrained romp through knowledge of all kinds makes me very different from my peers already; living in a tree house would only make it worse, since my daughter cannot choose not to associate with me.

I am not free to do anything I want, I have to estimate the impact it has on my daughter, and I have to include my GF in whatever I choose to do. If anyone have great tips on how to do something completely off the beaten track, while you have children, I'm all ears.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

@FBeyer

It seems like you're not actually interested in living in a treehouse or sailing for a year. You raised some objections, but if you're actually interested in that sort of thing you would've seen many blog/forum/podcast/youtube posts of families doing just exactly that, and more - and how they dealt with all those objections.

IMO the daughter excuse is 99% likely to not be a real valid excuse. But if it's the other 1% then never mind, you're shit out of luck. :P

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Yeah, I mean a lot of young kids do have tree houses and would love to move into them full time!

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

JamesR I think you're right.
The choice of spouse is the fulcrum, not the children, I'm not being very clear here, admitted.

However, you're forgetting survivorship bias. You're NOT seeing all those people where one person wanted to travel around the world with their children, you're seeing all those people where the COUPLE wanted to bring their children along.
We don't have a base failure rate for these projects to get off the ground, because there is no repository where failed dreams are posted, we only have a snapshot of those who does it AND posts about it.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Something about these types of articles has always annoyed me. They tend to say only all of the positives of the experiences, while avoiding mentioning all of the hard work, diligence, and critical thinking required to successfully live a vanlife or "treehouse" life. They even fail to mention that it was likely *because* of diligence with the NY corporate job that this person had the resources required to live either lifestyle without working for money at all, not to mention a potential leg-up in birth privileges and/or living privileges.

I'm questioning if the point of these articles is truly to inspire, or merely to evoke, say, envy, and then sell consumer products such as over-built outdoor gear that never gets used to Sally, or a fancy camper that sits in the drive-way for Joe.

-----------------

"Previously, he was the social media consultant for outdoor clothing brand Patagonia and collaborated with a financial services company and HP computers on a series of online ads that featured his unique, off-the-grid lifestyle."