Someone from Brazil/Brasil?

Say hello!!
Surio

Post by Surio »

I am not a Brazilian, but you will accept a hello from a fellow BRIC nation member, Yes?
Hello! *waves*

Jeff_jc

Post by Jeff_jc »

Hi there ... I'm from Brazil-Curitiba!

I found out the ERE blog last week ... amazing how interesting Jacob's posts are ... I can't just stop reading them... hehe ..

As a Gustavo Cerbasi follower, FI is my favorite subject ...

Where are you from?

Jeff_jc

Post by Jeff_jc »

Hi Daniel, Cerbasi got famous with his best seller "Casais inteligentes enriquecem juntos", "Smart couples get rich together", in a free translation. Not as extreme as Jacob, but following the same strategy, focusing on the financial independency in the brazilian reality.
Yes, try to check it out .. he has very valuable advices.
What about ERE .. how long have you been following Jacob?
I'm enjoying his posts a lot .. of course .. having wife and child to support I can't go that extreme .. ;-D
Another thing that let me think .. I haven't heard other brazilians after your topic call ... we are extreme behind of our foreign brothers in this subject, aren't we? .. man, people still think they can only retire on their 60s .. 65 in Brazil !!!

rodpba

Post by rodpba »

Hey!
I´m one of the "other" brazilian bigato was talking about. So we´re 3 now, maybe four.
I´m from Rio de Janeiro and this is one expensive place. I work here so the salary ends up leveling the cost of living.
Well if anyone needs any info from here just message me.
My email is @hotmail.com, with my username in the beginning.

Geovani

Post by Geovani »

I'm from Brazil too (Guarapuava/PR). For me it's a good city to live, medium-paced, relatively inexpensive, with everything necessary to a good life — places to buy food, doctors, dentists, schools, universities, public places and small stores — at walking distance. There are not that many entertainment options as people usually seem to want (that is, others giving them options to consume) but that, for me, is a plus. It's not a good place for those who want a high-paced and highly "successful/stressful" professional life (another plus for me).

m741

Post by m741 »

For those of you in Brazil, I've got a few questions:
How safe do you feel (from crime)? I know that crime can be pretty bad in some of the cities (Rio and Sao Paulo), but is it much of a problem in smaller cities or the countryside?
Also, about how many reais/month would it take to live a comfortable middle-class life in Brazil? What about in an ERE lifestyle?

m741

Post by m741 »

@bigato: No offense intended with the crime question. I have several co-workers living in Sao Paulo and they say they have to leave the office in bulletproof cars because of the crime. I think the impression I got is in part due to outside perception of favelas (which of course do not represent the country), the recent drug war in Rio, and anecdotes about crime in Brazil. It's probably similar to the way some Europeans assume that all Americans carry guns and that they could get mugged at any point.
As for the standards of living - I guess it's difficult for people who haven't lived in the other country to exactly say what qualifies as 'middle class'. I was just looking for a ballpark monthly figure for what costs could be. I don't really intend to live in Brazil, just curious. It could be something I consider doing in retirement (eg put stuff in storage/with family in the US and spend a few months in Brazil).

SoPicanha

Post by SoPicanha »

My father was also born in Curitiba, Brazil - i was born and live here in Canada. But I love Brazil and would like to have an extreme early retirement in Parana, Santa Catarina or RG do sul :) I was just in contact with a lady from the U.S - she and her husband are living very comfortably in Ecuador for about 1500/month and she says people live for a lot less. Apparently Ecuador, Uruguay and Brazil are great places to consider for this. As a 'foreigner', I may need the expertise of one of you brazilians once I am able to do something like this :)

gentarik

Post by gentarik »

Ok, I'm also Brazilian and just joining in. Currently I am living and working in West Africa ( Gabon). ERE is not possible for me because I crossed the 40's but I am focusing on ER. Good luck to u all

adonaijr

Post by adonaijr »

I've been a regular reader of ERE since 2010/05 i guess... Like many others (like Jacob said early) i have read tons of posts almost daily, thinking about the subjects and my life. I dunno how introduce myself, so i ask forgiveness for strangeness and english lack of proficiency (since i never had classes, and just learn by myself). I just want to say hello to U all, and thanks Jacob for the great blog/book (i've bought), and hope to read forum more frequently and participate. Thanks!
ps:i'm from São Paulo/Brazil.

JulianoBR

Post by JulianoBR »

I'm living in Rio because of work, moved from Curitiba five years ago. Both are becoming expensive cities for middle class, as international cuisine restaurants are created, Imax theaters are built and everyone feels the need to travel abroad.
There’s a kind of work, at least in Brazil, which is healthier. People who work for the government won’t work more than 8 hours a day, and won’t be fired without a serious reason. Aside that there is not too much stress at work.
I’ve been thinking about the possibility of a semi-retirement, an optional first step towards full retirement. I would have to apply for a government job. In this case, there is an unpaid leave. You can work for three years once and then leave for two years. There is some bureaucracy (maybe a lot), but theoretically it’s possible to ask for unlimited two-year unpaid leaves. I think this idea is useful when people don’t have sure the accumulated capital will be enough. The job will be held for eventualities.

Roark

Post by Roark »

Not from Brazil, but would love to do a mini-retirement of six months there to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Obviously I would love to be in the country for longer, but the Brazilian government does not want people to stay longer than that. If my partner quits her corporate job, then she might like to come along and learn samba and surfing.

babibs

Re: Someone from Brazil/Brasil?

Post by babibs »

Hey bigato, I met the blog a few weeks ago and just registered in the forum. But I always had in my mind all those FI e Early Retirement goals because I love investing in the stock market and reading about finances and self-sufficiency.
I'm a 24 y-o brazillian girl living in Brasilia. Right now I'm really unhappy with my spending, and haven't been saving much. Everything is too expensive here, especially rent, so I desperately want to move to a cheaper city and get a better job. Love your idea about living in the countryside, though. It's something I always think about doing in the future.

babibs

Post by babibs »

We are all from the Northeast. I'm just living here because I got a job as a federal public servant, and can't be transfered anytime soon. The plan is to get another job somewhere else so I can build up my savings and go full ERE. However, I'm currently paying R$1.000 in rent for a tiny little apartment, driving too much, working 8-10h a day, buying fast food, eating out... Not smart at all.

I think Brazil is under a housing market bubble, just like the U.S. This plage has just spread all over the world like a Justin Bieber song... :lol: What do you think about it? I don't see any cheap land around, not even in farther places. So I tend to wait untill prices settle down and calmly buy the place I want in a few years, preferably in warmer state.

By the way, love the site, so I'll sure stick around. And thanks for the warm welcome! Don't know about the journal though, I think I'm a lost cause. :P

babibs

Post by babibs »

You're totally right about the cooking bigato, I don't do these things out of sheer laziness. But I'll follow your advice and star freezing my food from now on.
Transfering is hard because they need a lot of people here, however, I'm hoping it takes 2-5 years. Meanwhile, I'll wait till my rent contract is over to start looking for a better deal. But I don't think a roomate would be cool because my family visits a lot and that would be weird for them.
Regarding the buble, even if prices drop just a little, it will still be a relief. Nowadays, places in the R$300.000+ range take ages to sell, so if these drop to more reasonable prices, it will already be worth it. This would actually be much better, since the economy wouldn't have to suffer like in the U.S.
And yes, I'll definitely take a look at the other threads, maybe start a journal someday when I'm not that cashless. :lol: Everyone that journals around here and in MMM blog seem to have everything together. I don't want to embarrass myself :lol:

You said you wanted to build your own house, how's that working out? Do you think it takes too much work? Does the forum have a specific thread about it? I'd love to hear your ideas about it, since I'm thinking about joining a civil construction technical course, but don't know if I could build my home by myself.

babibs

Post by babibs »

That's great that you bought the property with the house. I'm interested in this mostly because I went to Engeneering in college (unfortunately I quit later on), and read a lot about enviroment-friendly houses, new and cheap materials, tiny houses, etc. I helped my father build our house right next to the beach once and we saved some crazy amount of money (and he hired someone to part of the job). We spent around 30k-40k and similar houses built by contractors in the area cost 100k (this house was offered 300k a year ago). That's probably only worth it in more expensive areas/ with high demand. I do know some guys who got fairly rich by building small apartments in bulk to sell/rent. I don't intend to do everything alone though, my family would certainly help me out. But I might be overly optimistic here, so thanks for the cold shower.

PulpUser

Post by PulpUser »

I'm a new user from Brazil! Later I will create an introduction thread.

SamuelFelipe

Post by SamuelFelipe »

Hi Bigato!!!
I'm next to move to Brazil, Sao Paulo with my wife and reading the forums I knew you lived near that area.
We would love know you...
I have some difficulties to write in english, but I make an effort, my wife speaks Portuguese/English well and if you too, we can communicate.
Obrigado!!

SamuelFelipe

Post by SamuelFelipe »

bigato wrote:Hey SamuelFelipe! I'm sorry that I only saw your post now :) I am not reading the forums much lately. I'll email you.

Nice!! I'll be waiting!!!

doppler

Post by doppler »

Hello!

Argentinian/Italian living in Brazil since 2012 in Campinas SP.

Looking to move to SC in a year or so.

I discovered ERE after reading Mr Money Mustache.

What are your suggestions for investing in Brazil?