A Big Hello from the Garden State!

Say hello!!
knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

My name is Khaleef Crumbley and I recently started my own Financial Advising business (on the side for now) called KNS Financial. I also started writing article on my website about personal finance. I always wanted to write and teach people about finance and economics, and now I finally have an opportunity!
I guess I can post a few things from the "About" page of my site to give you a better idea of who I am:
My name is Khaleef Crumbley and I was born and raised in New Jersey, where my wonderful wife and I currently reside. I love studying the bible and learning about God, playing with kids, making spreadsheets, and making homemade pizza! I also love to teach – ANYTHING – the bible, finances, economics, Microsoft Excel, flashing ROMs on HTC phones, or anything else that I learn.
I earned a B.A. and M.A. from Rutgers University in Economics with specialized work in Finance, Investment Analysis, and Non-Profit accounting. I also studied Ancient Mediterranean Civilizations (with an emphasis on Ancient Greek culture and language), Music, and Math. My immediate educational plans include earning a second Master’s Degree, this time in Accounting, and sitting for the CPA and CFP exams.
I currently serve as Treasurer for OASIS for Children, Inc; a non-profit orphanage located in Haiti. After several years in corporate finance and accounting, I currently work in higher education managing government, non-profit, and corporate grants.
My ultimate goal is to honor God in all that I do. The most important things to me are relationships, first to God and then my marriage, my family, friends and church. If I was forced to lose all of my possessions and money (just be sure to take my debt as well), but still keep my relationships, I would be more than happy!
The rest is much too long to post, so just check it out for yourself - http://knsfinancial.com/about
I look forward to becoming a part of this community and to share with all of you.
PS - There are some really sharp minds here, looks like I'll be doing a lot of learning from you guys!

Q

Post by Q »

Hello sir - I'm sure you'll definitely have some good commentary!

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Welcome, good luck sitting for the CPA exam...I passed it in 2004 (my 3rd try) and remember how tough it was.
I'm try to branch out into basic financial planning as well, where have you had success finding clients?

knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

@ Q, thank you for the welcome! I hope you are right about my contribution!
@ Kevin M, I've heard from several people that the exam was tough. Especially in New Jersey!
I started preparing taxes and that has opened some doors for me, but since I have a full-time job, my sessions are few and far between right now.
Where are you located?

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I'm near St. Louis, MO. I've been in public awhile but just recently decided to pursue financial planning as another possible stream of revenue to possibly go on my own someday.
I'm going to volunteer through my state CPA society to do some basic personal finance stuff with elderly folks as sort of a dry run. Ideally I'd like to work with young people/families to help them get off on the right foot.

knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

I have a friend from St. Louis. She got a Ph.D. from Washington University. I have yet to visit, but I plan to - huge Cardinals fan. ;-)
I think volunteering is a great way to start. I tried to do the same with AARP in regards to taxes last year, but I was too late. I'll try again next year.
Of course in NJ, you need at least 3 years full-time experience working with a CPA in order to receive the license, that is going to be the hardest part for me.
My goal is to work with young families and students, as well as Christians/Churches in general.