INTP

Say hello!!
mike

Post by mike »

Hi,

Thought I'd start an INTP thread since I didn't see one up here.

I'm mostly INTP (more J when work/deadline driven). I work for a large public company in the Finance group (full of ISTJs). Love thinking about systems and the interconnection between the various parts of the business and have built many excel models that do the same. Frustrated by being in too narrow a function - a lot of finance here just seems to be about reporting numbers, variances, budgets, commentary etc...I'd much rather be exploring the root cause of what is actually causing those variances and devising solutions to address them. Somehow that never seems to be a priority around here....anybody relate to that?

Came across this blog a couple of months ago and have been a regular since. I've slowly come to the conclusion that eventually I need to escape from cubicle nation...can't envison another 30 years of this (I am 37, an immigrant - got here 10 yrs ago, Undergrad in Computer Science, expensive MBA from an Ivy League school)..also I admit that I feel a little unconnected from work..initial couple of years were great when I was actually developing solutions and models to solve complex supply/demand issues in the wine business (industry I am in)..last couple of years has just been political BS and posturing at work and keeping a fake cheerful expression on my face to match those around me (in case you wonder why I am still here - waiting for my Green Card, which hopefully should be granted soon..few months).

My journey towards Retirement probably can't be called ER given my age but over the past few months have made some changes in my life that I feel are more in line whith who I am:

- reduced my monthly rent to $700 from $1400 by sharing rental house with friend. Looking at options to take this further down by either moving to cheaper housing with friend or keeping more housemates..currently rent 1600 sqft house.

- am clear that I do not want the typical white picket fence, wife, kids, mortgage (sorry mom). Played host to exchange students from overseas further strengthening my resolve not to have kids ;-)

- reduced food expenses to $400 for 2 people.

- "cured" my friend of type 2 diabetes in 2 days via diet changes and exercise (she went from taking oral medication and occassional insulin injections over 13 yrs to having perfectly normal blood sugar levels..A1C of 5.1..doctors amazed..btw for any diabetics reading this..the ADA recommended diet is crap..I suspect their organization thrives on the increase in diabetes to increase their political clout). As a bonues friend also lost over 100 pounds.

- Completed 100 mile bike ride with above friend.

- Reduced my mom's daily insulin dependence from 48 units to 6..in her last visit to see me..she is unwilling to take the leap of faith and go insulin free..doesn't believe it is possible..I'm wearing her down slowly ;-)

- Started making my own yogurt and cottage cheese (yogurt is 8x cheaper than buying from store, cottage cheese has lesser savings..haven't been able to find uses for all they whey left behind)

- Growing vegetables in my garden

- Fascinated with the idea of homes made of shipping containers..seems like the perfect building material. Hoping to one day build my own place on a patch of land maybe in Southern New Mexico (very clear night skies) and setup my telescope..oops looks like someone beat me to it www.nmskies.com..but there is always room for one more.

- Purchased a motorcycle last year (I know I know ..probably sacrilege for ER enthusiasts) and have gone on long multi-day rides all over California. Enjoying this very much. I think I could live on the road. Also ride my bicycle a lot but have not been able to go carless (11 yr old honda civic 240K miles, runs perfect) since I am in suburbia.

Financially:

Cash - $40K

401K - $100K

Company Pension Vested - $75K

Student Loan Balance - ($20K)

Monthly expenses ~ $1400

Income ~ $120K/yr

Retirement horizon (7-10 yrs) Any folks out here who can relate?

Thanks

Mike

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Not to derail, but what what cured people of their diabetes? Avoiding highly glycemic foods?
I swear if you want to be healthy and lose weight there are only 2 steps:

1. avoid processed foods (this includes flour!).

2. walk daily
90%+ of modern health ailments solved... Fire all the doctors, burn all the pharmaceuticals.

Maus

Post by Maus »

So how'd you "cure" the D? My A1c jumped from a stable 6.0 (10+ years) to over 9.0 in the last six months, despite a massive shift from the so-called white carbs: pasta, rice, potato, bread, etc. If you're willing, email me at tollermaus(at)yahoo-dot-com.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

Thanks for the intro, mike, I enjoyed it. That's a useful skill you've got; maybe you could bundle it into a mystical art form and earn an ERE income stream? May we call you "insulin-mike" or "2-day-mike"? ;-) Thanks also for the nmskies.com link -- am definitely absorbing that, both as a place I could be convinced to visit, and as an idea for operating something like that. How does a hybrid operation sound, a Vineyard / Observatory?

mike

Post by mike »

@Maus:

<I realize I am asking this publicly since we are fairly anonymous here (hopefully;-) and I would like multiple people to benefit, but if for some reason you would not like to reply publicly, just say so and I will send you an email separately>
- That is quite a jump! Before I go ahead and venture some guesses, just want to ask, how you measured A1C i.e. yourself at home, doctor's office, online kit - the kinds available at Walmart etc? Basically wanting to rule out "instrument error".
- What is your usual daily diet?

- Were you taking any medication/insulin to keep A1C at 6.0?

- Have you added/gone-off any new medication in the last 6 months (period of jump from A1C 6 to 9)?

- I am assuming you have type 2 diabetes?
@ JohnnyH:
- High gylcemic foods are the kiss of death to diabetics (and anyone predisposed to insulin resistance and weight gain). I've been experimenting with different foods/diets..for the last 10 yrs or so and have learnt that:

a) Not all calories are equal (therefore calories in =/= calories out)

b) Hunger is as physiological as it is in the mind (i.e. fat people are not just fat because they have weak willpower)
@Steve Austin:
- "Insulin Mike" conjures up images of someone running berserk with a syringe in their hand..."2 day mike" sounds just a little better than "1 night mike" - neither of which would do much for my love life (come to think of it, are there women out here who are frugal and single?...hmm..maybe we could have a forum on here for meeting frugal/ere men and women...maybe even give okcupid a run for its money)
- Hybrid Vineyard & Observatory...at the outset it is somewhat unique I must say in that I don't think anyone has done it yet. However the wine business is notoriously capital intensive (especially if you want to own vineyards, facilities etc.) which leads to a low return on investment. I would think that an Observatory would have a smaller capital investment (unless you are going mega size with large telescopes, electronics etc.).
Also since you have to now recoup a larger investment (winery + observatory) you would want more customers that say someone running just a winery...so that would mean you would need to a) either attract more foot traffic to your facility (ultimately limited by your location...i.e. observatories do well in dark, remote areas and wine drinkers might not like to drive that far)
b) leverage your unique observatory + winery combo into something like a brand that you could put on the label and market the hell out of that...in which case the observatory really serves like a token (label positioning) and you just as well might create a brand with an observatory on the logo but avoid actually having to invest in an observatory....
Of course you could always place a few token antique type (look cool but awful optics!) telescopes around your winery and have a wine event under the stars ;-)
Anyways, such endeavors would mostly be a labor of love. Remember the old adage "the way to make a small fortune in the wine business is to start with a big fortune"!

Maus

Post by Maus »

@Mike

Not so much worried about the publicity as I am about boring folks with lots of specific details; so if you're willing, email me and I will respond to your questions.
Before these forums were started, I posed the question whether ERE was easier for a couple than for a single guy or gal because, for example, you get the economies of scale for rent, cooking, transport (for those of us who must cling to the internal combustion engine), etc. In the comments, someone else suggested an ERE dating site. I chuckled, but the truth is it would help immensley to pre-qualify quickly the shrinking pool of eligible partners that I enounter without engendering bruising feelings of rejection on learning of credit problems or the insatiable need for luxury goods or status symbols.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

I cannot stop chuckling at Maus' last, clever humor comment about shrinking, bruising, and needing. Humor, pain, truth, it's all the same. ;-)

mike

Post by mike »

@ Maus:
Sent you an email. I think a partner/mate with similar values can be a tremendous asset ...1+1 > 2 in relationships.
I suspect that ERE is harder for a single person since they have to do some socializing (bars, drinks etc.) if they expect to meet women in our standard social setup.
In my experience, women with frugal values are hard to come by...most seem to be attracted a lot to the shiny stuff...and boy can some of them shop!!

pbkennedy

Post by pbkennedy »

Hi Mike, ESTP here. I would love to know what you've learned about diabetes, since DH is on the verge and I, too, don't think the ADA diets make any sense. I know that processed grains and sugar are the worst, but what else? Please share the details! Paula

S

Post by S »

INTP here too, though I can't cure diabetes. As a lady, I haven't had much trouble meeting offbeat, frugal guys that would probably have liked the idea of ERE. I met boyfriends and eventually my husband through cheap group fun activities like riding bikes and playing boardgames. I wouldn't be caught dead in a bar, though perhaps more extroverted women would be?

mike

Post by mike »

@pbkennedy:

Hi..since I am slightly lazy..and a little late to work (typical INTP?)..I am copying/pasting portion of email sent earlier today to Maus. Feel free to ask more questions:
...."Moving on to food. Glad you have reduced most processed carbs....but if you are really serious about getting a handle on your A1C (which of course you are) ....I would take it a step further. Following are some of the things that I see you eating which I would get rid of completely:
- pasta, brown rice, banana, carrots (raw or cooked), white beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, any type of beans. From experimentation I have found all of these to dramatically increase blood sugar in those already predisposed to diabetes. The diet you are currently following is what my friend used to eat also but her fasting blood sugar almost never woudl be less than 160.
As an example, here is what I/we eat now:
Breakfast: 2-3 strips of bacon each, 2-3 eggs each in omlettes made with generous amounts of peppers, broccoli, mushrooms - often I use the melted fat from the bacon to cook my eggs in - adds flavor and is also frugal ;-)..some black tea (neither of us is much of a coffee drinker) with a spot of milk and and sweetner.
Lunch: Very varied..but always no carbs...sausages with cabbage, stir friend pork and vegetables with some nuts, leftover steak from dinner...basically some combination of meat and veggies..well spiced. We cook all ourr food in olive oil, butter or ghee (clarified butter).
Dinner: Very similar to lunch in that again some combo of meat and veggies (we eat lots of veggies)..but for variety something different from lunch..i.e. if lunch was chicken..dinner can be beef, pork, seafood.
Oh...and we have deserts...cheesecake made at home with cream cheese, almond flour and splenda...with berries..or I will take heavy whipping creap, mix with splenda..whip it up and add some strawberries...awesome!
The common theme here is that we eat full fat items and rarely eat "fat free" (which I learnt is a euphemism for carb-heavy).
Surprisingly, eating like this has not only brought the blood sugars to normal but also improved HDL/LDL, Lipids, as well as caused us to lose weight and maintain it. No more the struggle with weight and feeling guilty about eating the wrong kind of foods. The other change has been that we have become good cooks and can whp up far tastier stuff than we find in most restaurants...we only now go out to restaurants very occassionally and that has been good for the pocketbook also.
For me personally the biggest victory of eating like this has been a complete control of food cravings (my downfall in the past). I no longer have any cravings whatsoever for candy, sweets, cakes, bread, pastries etc...no more the struggle between what I feel like eating and what I know I should be eating.
Exercise is certainly important...not so much for burning calories but more for regulating the body mechanisms...hormone production, insulin secretion, blood pressure etc...as an experiment I have for the past 6 months given up my gym membership and my challenge has been to be fit without a gym membership - something that goes against what is deeply entrenched in our consumer culture. I will write more about these things on the ERE website thread..since I notice some other people have also asked questions about diabetes."

mike

Post by mike »

@S:
I just can't seem to sustain the bar thing..after a while it just feels vacuous and the dating/flirting game becomes routine/predictable..though have to admit that as a % the likelyhood of finding pretty women in a bar is higher....though as I've learnt pretty is not necessarily equal to good/intelligent/capable (of course there are some exceptions..as I can see from your thumbnail picture ;-).
..and now thanks to ERE I can't bring myself to pay $7 for a watered down drink (damn you Jacob!)...think I need to sign up for some hiking/biking etc type activities through meetup.com

Q

Post by Q »

I say more ERE meet-ups will produce more ERE hook-ups...

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Excellent post on blood sugar control... So often I hear repeat "low cal - low fat" I just want to pull my hair out.
Where in reality having full fat ice cream would be much better because the fat [and protein] would dull the insulin spike.
Low fat, low cal diet foods are awesome weight gainers.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

I'd like to comment on the suggestion that singles couldn't benefit from economies of scale (like couples can: rent, cooking, transport). I used to think that too, but it's nonsense. Think friends/roommates.