Thanks!

Say hello!!
Loner

Thanks!

Post by Loner »

Hello everyone,

Been lurking for so long I’m starting to feel awkward, so I felt it was time for me to come say hello.

Some 2.5 years ago, I came across MMM somewhere. Read all the posts. Felt enlightened, but woke up the next day with a feeling similar to the one you get eating fast food: you feel full for a moment, then you rapidly feel empty again. “Yeah, that was obvious.” (I’m still grateful MMM had me discover the ERE-MMM sphere.) Followed links. Found ERE. Read the book and the blog, and started reading the forum. Got blown away: I had finally found a place where people seemed to think like I did. For some time, I felt like dropping crates of ERE books from a helicopter. I decided against it, but to this day, I still find more value and insights here than in the vast majority of the books I read every year (75+). Funny how I feel this place brought me more in perspective, wisdom and knowledge than some 20 years of formal education--or should I say edumacation?

Countless times, here has been a refuge from a world that often feels idiocratic. Although I don’t (think I) lack too much social skills, I’m not very gregarious, as my username implies. In solitude I find peace. As a kid, I remember wondering why people thought it was so bad that Robinson Crusoe was stuck alone on an island. Sounded like a dream come true!

So here I am. Basic factsheet of me:

Sex: Male
What I do for a living: consulting in economics; writing. Occasional revenue streams from random opportunities (photography, odd jobs, etc.)
My goal in life: happiness through virtue, wisdom, mindful self-improvement and knowledge.
How to do it: Engage in different pursuits (research, writing, guitar, BMX/MTB, photography, reading, etc.) supported by the optionality and freedom brought by the ERE lifestyle. Make a positive impact on the world. Always on the lookout for new vines to grab in order to avoid boredom.
How much money I have: not FI; enough FU money.
Favorite books: ERE, The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Flow, Thinking Fast and Slow, 48 Laws of Power, “The Incerto”.
Geographical location: Pr. Québec.

Shout-outs to Jacob (always blown away by your clarity of thought and your interesting takes on basically everything), 7w5 (great insights into interpersonal relationships), Brute (I share some of his nihilism), Dragline (wise man: I can’t help but imagine you with a white beard, living in a cave – must be the avatar), Jenny (original perspectives; exemplary caring that brings a warmer side to the forum; helped me get out of my “religious people are soooo dumb” adolescent attitude and arrogance), Rigger (you sound bent on self-improvement; I find it inspiring), Sclass (great stories, always with valuable takeaways).

Not sure I will write much, but after all I got from this place, I thought it was time to show some gratitude. So thanks all!

-Loner

thrifty++

Re: Thanks!

Post by thrifty++ »

Welcome! Where in Quebec are you? Montreal? Quebec City?

Did

Post by Did »

Welcome.

I tried to settle in Chicoutimi as a young traveller once, and find work. It broke me in 2 weeks.

Jake9870

Post by Jake9870 »

Interesting, I found MMM through ERE. Just starting to read from the beggining of his posts. I find the ERE community more thoughtful, but my thought is that MMM is certainly more relatable to the general public.

distracted_at_work

Post by distracted_at_work »

Welcome! Very nice summation of the "wise elders" and sentient computer programs (Brute) :lol: on the forum.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Thanks.
@thrifty I'm juste outside of the island.
@Did You are courageous, Chicoutimi is not an employment eldorado. On the other hand there's beautiful nature up there (e.g. Parc des Monts-Valin).

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@Loner. Cool. Montreal is a bit of a second home for me that I am wanting to get back to at some point. I look forward to seeing your journals. It seems like Montreal is an ERE friendly city. Well at least price wise it seems extremely cheap. Not sure about salaries.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Yes, cheaper to live (housing wise) than Toronto or Vancouver for sure. I believe salaries are not as good though. If you do come around, drop me a line, maybe we can find some ere-friendly activity.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Yep sounds great! I was going to be there this year but I think it will be heading there next year around mid-May. My visit there will probably be about 5 or 6 months long and will be my first mini retirement activity. So would be great to meet! I love how cheap the housing, food, transport and drinks out are in Montreal. Where I am at the moment its hard to find a room for rent in shared accommodation for less than $1,000 a month, or your own place for less than $1,700.

Loner

Post by Loner »

You are in NZ, is that correct? Yeah, 1000$ a month in a rented shared place is brutal. Are salaries higher than US/CAN levels? In any case your time here should be good. May is an exceptional month: temperatures are perfect, trees are green and blooming, etc. NZ looks picturesque as well. Is nature easily accessible from urban centers?

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Yep NZ. It is very beautiful and the northern parts have a climate which is close to ideal IMO. Nature is highly accessible from anywhere in NZ. Salaries are commensurate with Canada I think. And less than USA. But much more expensive cost of living in pretty much any type of cost, and especially housing which sucks as thats the hardest one to hack. I love Montreal in the summer months.