Transitioning into a new phase

Say hello!!
figmenter

Transitioning into a new phase

Post by figmenter »

Hello all.

I have been lurking this forum for three years and have been amazed by the many insightful discussions and personal stories. Thank you all for providing a refreshing and stimulating environment for people seeking independence in the broadest sense of the word.

I am a 43M living in the Netherlands. I live together with two lovely ladies: one human, one feline. Life is good.

When I became aware of ERE my initial calculations put FI at 5 years out. I have since cut expenses by 20% per year and increased income by working more. In January I have declared myself financially independent.

This year will be about adjusting to this new reality. It marks an exciting new phase in my life.

I have not yet worked out how much I am willing to share on a public forum. I do look forward to meeting any one of you in person at a future meetup.

F.

Eureka

Re: Transitioning into a new phase

Post by Eureka »

Congratulations on your FI!

wolf

Post by wolf »

Sounds really good. I am looking forward to hear from you how everything work out. Congratulations. With what a Withdrawal Rate have you planned?

herp

Post by herp »

Congratulations on reaching your goal! Must feel really great :)

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Congrats and welcome!

figmenter

Post by figmenter »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
MDFIRE2024 wrote:With what a Withdrawal Rate have you planned?
I count mostly in years of financial buffer saved. I plot the ratio of my assets to my expenses on a month by month basis augmented with a forecast approximately 1.5 year into the future. Based on this graph I find, since June of last year, my assets to expenses ratio was never below 25 years (4% SWR) and have oscillated around 33 years (3% SWR) since December of last year.

I have to note that I will continue to make money to cover my ongoing expenses. My goal for the coming years is to diversify my income streams for additional resilience. I will also be keeping an eye on expenses to reduce them further. In the end having a regular cashflow to cover expenses is the name of the (FI) game.

wolf

Post by wolf »

So you are going to continue working? FI but not RE? That is also very great. This is also my goal.
Does your passive income cover your regular expenses then?