31F from Singapore - Hello!

Say hello!!
ashke

31F from Singapore - Hello!

Post by ashke »

Hello everyone,

I registered for an account here yesterday but, for the past 3-4 years, I have been reading the ERE blog and lurking on the forum on-and-off. My journey towards FI started when I was 25 years old (after working full-time for about 3 years) and I was dissatisfied with the way that I never seemed to hold on to any money despite a steady income. It gave me concern since one of things I looked forwarded to was owning a home and retiring at the same age as my father at 55. I decided to work with a fee-based financial planner who gave me an exercise to work out my expenses, net worth and plans for the future. The entire experience -- with all the numbers spelt out and tabulated in my face -- made me realise that my then-trajectory was not sustainable and it would definitely not help me reach my financial goals. It drove me to start reading about saving money which led to reading Your Money or Your Life, and many FI/RE blogs & forums etc including this place.

Since then, I have been fortunate enough to meet my (now-)husband who shares my FI/ERE goal. We have also achieved our goal of purchasing a home financed about 80% in savings last year (the rest on a 10 year mortgage). We are working on shaping our lives so that we are living more efficiently and happily -- as well as learning the skills needed to wean our dependence on the marketplace. We hope to work on the accumulation phase for less than 10 years but it would be fine if we spent a lengthier time than that, so long as we are leading a happy life.

I thought it would be nice to be part of the discussions while my husband and I are on this journey. Looking forward to discussing ERE with everyone here!

BRUTE

Re: 31F from Singapore - Hello!

Post by BRUTE »

brute greets ashke

ashke

Re: 31F from Singapore - Hello!

Post by ashke »

Hello brute!