Hi from the Netherlands; considering ERE

Say hello!!
lente

Hi from the Netherlands; considering ERE

Post by lente »

Hi retirees (in spe),

Just recently I read the ERE book and there's a lot of sensible ideas in it. So I thought I'd join the forum and interact with those who follow it.

The parts about the renaissance man ideal made me think strongly about a saying; "Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." Considering how it's often misquoted and it's modern meaning is the opposite of the original I just find it eerily fitting.

I'm from the Netherlands, 25 years old, live with my parents, full-time job in online marketing (permanent contract) though temporarily part-time due to recovery from an operation after a car accident. Half terminator, half human. (wildly exaggerated, don't worry). Other than the FI components I guess I've always gravitated to an ERE-like philosophy of diversifying skills. Finances being never a concern due to not being really into consumerism by nature. My worth has just been growing without any conscious effort. But it could've been greater with a little effort. :(

The reason why I ended up here is mostly the philosophy/lifestyle component. My next move is rereading the book carefully, take notes on what connects with me and take steps for my future I guess. I'll be around, picking your brains. :)

That's all folks.

daylen

Re: Hi from the Netherlands; considering ERE

Post by daylen »

Hmm.. interesting.. I always thought ERE was more of a hit or miss type of thing, i.e. if you get as far as considering the idea, then you are likely to jump in head first!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hey, fellow Dutch person, welcome. We're planning another meetup for the Dutch ERE people in May probably, you might want to check it out if you haven't already. See here for more information.

lente

Post by lente »

daylen wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm
Hmm.. interesting.. I always thought ERE was more of a hit or miss type of thing, i.e. if you get as far as considering the idea, then you are likely to jump in head first!
Well, I'm doing quite well by being me. ERE isn't the norm, so I guess I'm somewhat hesitant to embrace it fully. It's comfortable and frictionless to follow the norm.
DutchGirl wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 pm
Hey, fellow Dutch person, welcome. We're planning another meetup for the Dutch ERE people in May probably, you might want to check it out if you haven't already. See here for more information.
Thanks. I did a search to find topics related to NL, so I have seen it. I'll think about it :)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

By the way, lente, I read Jacob's book several times for inspiration, and I don't follow it to the letter, either. But it can definitely inspire you to do some things in a better way, and to think more about what you're doing and why. To make smarter choices.