One more dane aiming for going FI

Say hello!!
netruner

One more dane aiming for going FI

Post by netruner »

Hello.

First of all thanks for all the topic´s people have put in all the time writing at this forum. I have been reading for almost an half year without commenting anything yet.

My interest began last year(2016) - early summer. I was browsing different kind of danish online newspaper, suddenly i so this kind of weird headline on an article "everyone can go FI, in approximately 10 years" . I read the article and that got me thinking a lot afterwords.
At that time in my life i have turned 29, i have in my early twenties made an pretty good income, but after some years got to that point where the struggling for making more money did not make sense to me(my calculation on how many days/hours i spend was no longer worth the price i paid for not doing what i really like). The consequence was that i stopped working for some years at i went 23. The years went by, and i got some small jobs, not kept them long, still because of lack of motivation. I made the decision to go get some more education(in Denmark it free, accurately we get paid an small amount each month for studying).

I already got an 4 an half year education as chef(cooking). The way i could go,- if i would build on that education was some kind of economic/management. Alternatively i had to start on an very low education level for getting new education possibility's.

Motivated to start learning new things, and start an new chapter i began in 2013, and complete in 2015.
Meanwhile i got my motivation back for cooking, and with the new management skills i have got i suddenly saw a lot more possibilities. But i was still missing something in my economic understanding, i already knew myself that well, that buying a lot of materialistic stuff could not keep me motivated very long. I instead beginning to thinking on how i cut get economic freedom, (FI). That would be much greater goal for me, than getting married, buying cars, big house, and things like my surroundings focused on.

My thoughts on getting FI, resulted in i tried to start an business, i was very aware that i had to struggle more than i have ever did. Unfortunately i cut not make it work with my business+girlfriend+small children+dog. It was to stressful and to little satiation (on business as well as family).

Instead i got an very good job offer where i got an very good salary, and working for 3-6 weeks at the time, an afterwords having a period where i have free the same amount of time. (that also mean i have a lot of free time for famly + i spend an smaller amount of hours working at an old job when im at home)

The last 6 month i have paid my small dept, and got an little plus on my bank account now. I have got a lot of focus on my income, and also pretty much focus on my expensive this period, and still try to getting more and more in to the ERE filosofi, and find new inspiration.
A cording to my budget i can make + 200.000kr ( 28.000$). The last month i have trying to have more focus on how i will invest my money, and trying to teach some different strategy's, but it is like my focus on my income at this point almost is to big. Maybe anyone got some kind of good method of getting an overview and also skills on how to invest? (An danish guide is very welcome ).

I will also make an journal (hopefully soon). But it will take some time, - typing English is challenging me at this level.

FBeyer

Re: One more dane aiming for going FI

Post by FBeyer »

Welcome!

We 'need' a Chef in the Danish ERE community so in case you're located around Copenhagen, I'm sure you'll be well received :)

I'm hosting a meetup on April 23rd so if you'd like to come by and meet some of the local penny pinchers there is still room for one more. For a newcomer to ERE I think this could be the perfect meetup to begin because we'll be covering systems thinking and fundamental investment analysis. In other words, we'll be talking about what separates ERE from other financial independence approaches and one particular corner of investing.

We have our own forum where we discuss a lot of local investment matters; the catch is that you'll have to show up at a meetup before you get the invite to the forum :D

So uhm, come by the next meetup if you live somewhere close to Copenhagen.

Also: Netruner or Netrunner?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

there must be something in the Danish water..

greetings!

netruner

Post by netruner »

Thanks for the warm-welcome.

And also thanks for the invitation.
I really havent decided if im going to go official with my ERE lifestyle, or on witch level yet. So i have to consider that part a bit more before showing my face i guess :)

Anyway im almost sure i would not be in Denmark at April month. (work) Im also living in jutland, so it would be an extra cost for the travel that month i also have to consider. But it also very tempting to show up, i have to say. Im sure it could be an extra motivation to getting some kind of real network with focus on ERE.

The nickname i use is an old one, back from my early teenage years, (wrong spelling) i know, but it got some kind of advantage, because no one else uses that name, and it easy for me to remember.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Welcome to! Always good to know there is one more of us around.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

BRUTE wrote:there must be something in the Danish water..
So absolutely not!

In Denmark the water is poisoned with a drug that forces you to have a salaryman mind. It is so strong that everybody believes that having a job is the sole meaning of life.

Even the very few who have a genetic defect that makes them immune to this drug are freaking scared that anybody will find out that they differ from the majority. So scared that they do not even dare to come to an ERE meetup with about 10 other abnormals in a private home.

netruner

Post by netruner »

Haha, Good one Eureka, point taken.

My reason to write first topic in "introduce yourself" is first of all to show im also around. Second i guess it can help to keep up motivation by sharing thoughts, ideas and so on.

As i wrote there is a couple of other reasons why i properly will not show up at that meeting.- I also think i have more then enough learning by styding books and website for getting more confident on my strategy on going ERE. Right now almost all my focus is about high income, and cutting expensive off.
That dont mean i never will show up, if i get an invitation an other time. - The travel time and expensive for the trip is also and important aspect .