Living in Germany and trying to achieve FIRE in the year 2024

Say hello!!
MDFIRE2024

Living in Germany and trying to achieve FIRE in the year 2024

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello everybody,

I live in Germany and I work in the IT sector. For the last two years I figured out what I want do next in my life. There were several possibilities, like traveling round the world, sailing, working in another country or for another company. Then in my vacation in Spain I met an American guy from California who was, and still is, very interesting. He was a older than me and we talked a lot about various topics. Currently he is looking for a place to settle down for his retirement. As we spoke about retirement he told me about the concept of “early retirement”. If you want to have a look on his blog you can find it here. https://fourletternerd.wordpress.com/. (If you are interested in the cost of living in Thailand you can find good data there too, because he lives there right now). If I had to pinpoint the exact date, when I got the idea of “Early Retirement”, I would say that it was in this vacation.

However, after I came home, I looked for “early retirement” in the Internet. First I have found ERE and MMM on the net. Then I got used to the concept of FIRE. It wasn’t difficult for me to think about it, because I already live many years by simple life and minimalism. Also, I have been saving since I started to work. Therefore I set myself a FIRE-goal. As you can guess from my username I want to achieve FIRE in the year 2024. Currently I am in my mid 30s. That means I want to be financial independent in my 40s.

Since I defined my FIRE goal I read a lot on ERE. I like Jacob’s thoughts very much. Although I already have thought about selling my car with my FIRE goal on mind I had the courage to do so in the middle of the last year. Since then I live carfree. Six months later I absolutely don’t regret this decision.
Due to my frugal living habits I am able to save between 50% and 80% of my income. I am very happy about that. Also I am very grateful about the many opportunities here in Germany, about the good quality of life, work and economy conditions, family and health. For myself, FIRE and money is important, but it also needs inspiration, creativity and motivation.

I am interested in many different topics. Psychology, sports, outdoors, nature, reading, and so on.

Why did I join the ERE-forum? Well, I want to participate in the forum and hope to contribute wherever I can. Besides that, I want to learn more about other ERE stories and topics. My goal is “only” 8 whole years away and till then I want to have fun on the way.

So, looking forward in reading and writing about FIRE.

Chris

Re: Living in Germany and trying to achieve FIRE in the year 2024

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Welcome, MD! Nice to see the recent influx of Europeans to the forum.

Have you had to deal with people questioning your current (or future) lifestyle? FIRE seekers are strange in most places, but I get the impression that Germany is more rigid in terms of how people are "expected" to live.

MDFIRE2024

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 pm

@Chris.
Right now only my inner family circle knows about my goals and they understand what I am trying to achieve. So, I haven't had to deal with many people about my lifestyle so far. For myself, I don't have any problems with what other people think of me. Well, you are right. In Germany it is more rigid and people expect you to work or study or do anything at all. I guess when I reach my goals I will use something I can say to people so they are not confused.

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Welcome ! and good luck on your journey. I like Germany a lot, nice people and lots of cool cities. And beautiful nature.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 am

greetings! when asked what they do after FIRE, some say they're investors. that seems to work well in certain circles in the US. brute is unsure how Germans would react to hearing that MDFIRE2024 is a capitalist fat cat living off the work of the proletariat :D

MDFIRE2024

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 am

@Cornerman, thanks. Have you been to Germany?

@BRUTE, well I gotta figure out what I tell people. FI is not very common in Germany. Working culture is the norm. What I learned so far from FI bloggers in Germany is, that people don't understand the concept of FI very well. Some bloggers suggest to hide your wealth. The mentality about that is different to the States, isn't it?

whatlifecouldbe

Post by whatlifecouldbe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Chris wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 pm
I get the impression that Germany is more rigid in terms of how people are "expected" to live.
I live in Germany for 12 years now (I'm hungarian) and I can confirm that Germans don't really talk about money and have difficulties in general understanding the concept of early retirement.

On the other hand in Hungary/Romania, everybody is talking about money. Everybody wants to know how much you earn. It's normal and , for us, pretty weird too.

In Germany you simply have to find (not easy) the people from our community. There is a growing community of FIers. I've found that there are 2 kinds:
- the ones that really live the concept of minimalism, DIY, making a change, freedom etc
- the ones that simply want to make money and basically show off with that