Just Saying Hi

Say hello!!
Smashter

Just Saying Hi

Post by Smashter »

Long time lurker checking in here. I waste way too much time on the traditional social networks. I'm hoping that if I become active in this community it will encourage me to devote even more time to things I care about (ERE) and less to things I don't (which Vegas hotel my cousin is staying at for her girl's weekend.)

I got engaged recently and I didn't feel like telling the world about it via facebook. I told all the people I cared to tell via phone or writing.

I felt like I had stepped back in time (I'm 29, btw). I got a chance to have real conversations with a lot of great people that I might not have had otherwise.

The only complication so far was when a bunch of old college friends got together recently, and there was one guy in the group I hadn't told. I didn't think twice about it until he pulled me aside at the end of the night and said "you got engaged?" The look in his eyes said "you have betrayed me." The fact that he heard from someone else was devastating. He re-grouped and gave me a hearty congrats, but I think his feelings were genuinely hurt. I would have had no problem telling this guy in person, but it just totally slipped my mind.

His reaction fascinated me, because we are by no means close. I see this guy maybe once a year. At one point, we lived in the same city as each other for 7 months and hung out approximately 3 times. We only overlapped for 1 year in college.

Am I going to offend more people as I start keeping my life more private? Will I miss out on stuff if spend less time on facebook and more time wondering why Brute talks in the 3rd person, how C40 takes such awesome pictures, or whether I'll fit in here if I'm not INTJ and just seeing the word "vector" gives me flashbacks to the C- I got in freshman year Calculs? Only time will tell.

Anyway, happy to be a part of everything and thanks to everyone for the awesome community you've created. I've learned a lot.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Just Saying Hi

Post by jacob »

Haha, welcome back to the online world as it was back in year 1987 or so: Full of interesting and civilized people with very few memes, shares, and likes to cloud the picture. I try to keep it that way with the occasional exception.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Some people are very easily hurt. (This regarding that person who you see maybe once a year but apparently have to keep updated on everything happening in your life, or else...). Not your fault.

Welcome, and enjoy your time here.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

We are bare and boney, yes indeed. And peculiar, each and every one. We get suspicious if you are not. ;-)

johnbroker

Post by johnbroker »

Smashter wrote: I waste way too much time on the traditional social networks. I'm hoping that if I become active in this community it will encourage me to devote even more time to things I care about (ERE) and less to things I don't (which Vegas hotel my cousin is staying at for her girl's weekend.)
I myself have joined this recently. Before that I had gone through a process of giving up facebook (I never cared much for it), linkedn, the smartphone... I can assure that my social circle is now of quality (and not small) and I dont feel I am missing on anything important. I guess that nowadays people dont miss anything but they are losing the ability to tell the important stuff from all the bullshit thrown at us at THz frequency. If you didnt tell that person about your engagement directly as to the rest, there were reasons behind that and you shouldn't care.

This forum lets me spend some time reading on things I find useful and enlightening at a more than average concentration. I am sure you are going to enjoy it!

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Facebook recent quarterly report in the billions reminded me of what that's about: Clever advertising for widgets.

I haven't totally quit, but put a moderation limit for a couple check ins a week.

This site offers much more thought provoking and applicable information. Especially if you have seen the sunlight outside of Plato's cave.