Hi from Copenhagen, Denmark

Say hello!!
Milton

Hi from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Milton »

Hi,

I am new as a member here, but have been reading a bit on the forums over the past few months. Below is an introduction to myself, to get started.

I am 28 years old, male from Copenhagen, Denmark. I live with my girlfriend. I have always had a great interest in finance and economics, not least personal finance and tax law. This is also my educational background and is an integral part of what i work with. I have been an investor and entrepreneur since my late teens. Some projects have gone very well, some less so. Bottom line, I have accumulated a quite reasonable net worth already and continue to make fairly good earnings from both passive (investing) and more active (work) activities.

A few years ago I was in an accident that entirely turned my world and life around. As the injury involved the head and brain, I lost a great deal of my ability to work and function in general. With help from the health care system in Denmark and mostly my own efforts and seeking help from professionals in other countries, I spent 2-3 years recovering and training my cognitive abilities to a point where I have now more or less entirely recovered. Although it was a very tough journey, I have learned a lot from it and as cliché as it will sound, I have learned to appreciate life and what I have a lot more. Before the accident I used to work harder and not always smarter, now it has become a part of my life to optimize the yield for any effort I make - trying to work smarter and not harder.

For a long while the prognosis from the doctors was that I would probably not recover fully and I also was in doubt myself. For 1-2 years I therefore gradually adjusted mentally to the fact that I would have to get by with significantly lower income. Although I have recovered quite well and can now work and make money that way, the notion that I should be financially independent has become even more ingrained.

When I read the article about ERE in a Danish newspaper it appealed a lot to me and in many ways summed up many of my own unstructured thoughts in a more coherent manner. My reading of Jacob's book and the forums here has only added to that and been hugely inspirational.

I look forward to participating in the discussions and to meet many of you here and perhaps in real life ;)

Eureka

Re: Hi from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Eureka »

Nice to see one more Dane here. And even a Dane who knows about finance and economics.

Thanks for sharing the story about your recovery. What an inspiration to hear that strong will and persistence have had such an impact.

See you at the Copenhagen meetup in 4 weeks!

BadHorse

Post by BadHorse »

Welcome to the forum Milton, looking forward to meeting you in Cph later this month! :)

Sounds like you've had to face some serious issues and questions that most people don't even consider until it's to late. Thanks for sharing your experience and insights.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Bad Horse, welcome!

You have packed a lot into your life already and overcome challenges most of us will never face. Kudos to you.

Your thoughts about ERE were mine also - it puts a name and rationale to a set of thoughts already present.

ERE helped me clarify my purpose, I hope you get something useful from it.

You are I think lucky to live in Copenhagen, a beautiful and friendly city. My memories of it are fresh as we went on a city break there this summer. My teen girls spent a lot of time in the Pharos Cigarer (?) geek shop there, as well as Tivoli, Helsingr, the Zoo etc. Would gladly return.

As an aside, it may interest you to know that at the Nine Worlds convention in London last week, I was in a roomful of perhaps four hundred people, singing "Bad Horse, Bad Horse, Bad Horse, He's Bad, He Rides Across the Nation, the Thoroughbred of Sin, He your application that you just mailed in...." They'll probably do it again next year. I have made the questionable assumption here, is that you are named for that character from Dr Horrible.

Milton

Post by Milton »

Hi Noedig,

I presume at least a part of the greeting was intended for me, although you mention BadHorse as well :-)

Anyway, thanks. Glad you like Copenhagen, it is indeed a beautiful place - especially this time of the year!

BadHorse

Post by BadHorse »

Indeed, it is Milton who deserves praise for the accomplishments in this thread. And very impressive accomplishments they are :)

Still, I’m glad to hear that I have loyal group of minions singing my praises in London…

@Noedig, I hope you dropped a few hints about budgetting and frugal living. The reimbursement requests for death rays, secret lair deco and moon base upgrades are really getting out of hand here at the Evil League of Evil.
In fact, ruling the ELE with an iron hoof is not nearly as financially rewarding as one might expect. Hard to beat for job satisfacton though! :mrgreen:

.. and now I’ll stop hijacking Mr. Miltons thread ;)