Hello from Tennessee

Say hello!!
MrsG1996

Hello from Tennessee

Post by MrsG1996 »

Hi!

I'm on this blog a ton lately but my family situation seems a bit more extreme than most.

We are already debt free but renting (8 people in 1800 sq. ft.). My grandma (who raised me) suffered an aneurysm at the top of the year. I will have to move her in and maybe my grandpa too.

I'm torn about what to do next. I think I will have to go back into debt to buy a home to accommodate all of us. Or I can try to find a larger rental but the cost is more than buying a place.

We are currently (3 adults-me, hubs and mother-in-law plus 5 kiddos (19-6, 2 with special needs), very soon we will be 4 adults maybe 5.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

George the original one

Re: Hello from Tennessee

Post by George the original one »

Way outside my experience and comfort zone to offer advice! I wish you well and am glad to see the family unity.

Dragline

Re: Hello from Tennessee

Post by Dragline »

It reminds me of one of the best compliments DW ever received: "She takes in her kin -- like people used to."

You're a saint. But you and I both know, that won't pay the bills.

The first thing to do is make sure you and your grandparents have applied for whatever aid you are qualified for in your state. Also, they need to sell their house if they own it and begin transfer assets to you if they have not done so. The reason for this is so that they can qualify for nursing care when it comes time without dissipating everything they own.

The housing situation is trickier, because a lot of it depends on your local situation/housing market. I would start looking around at all options, both renting and buying. And see what kind of a mortgage you would qualify for.