Hello from Manhattan!

Say hello!!
oys3099

Hello from Manhattan!

Post by oys3099 »

Hi Everyone!

I am a big follower of the GoCurryCracker blog and they recommended to me that I join this forum. My name is Olivia. I am in my mid-twenties, newly married and with my first baby! On top of that, we just moved to Manhattan in June and I start a brand new job in January! Many exciting things. Now that we are on our way to some stability... I am evaluating our finances, expected incomes, etc. and need some advice. I will post specific questions as they come along! But the main one right now involves housing.

Our lease is up in June but we are starting our search now to brainstorm. We are minimalist, savers, and crave a simple life. We want to live in a small apartment, even a studio! But we are having trouble figuring out what route to take. Where can we live in or around Manhattan that is the most affordable? Anyone know alternative styles of living in NYC? I know, I know... Manhattan is EXPENSIVE! MOVE OUT!... but we are really looking for creative ideas that just meet a few needs. I need natural light, big windows and some character. We would live with roommates if the space allowed for it. We would turn a walk in closet into a nursery too! (That sounds really fun to me.) We would lease a house and rent rooms but I can't find any listings that are specific to this. Do you know any leases with a suite in the basement? You know, like an in-law suite? We would live there and rent the upper house too. I just can't find these specifics.

I am looking forward to getting some answers, brainstorming, and sharing my knowledge with all of you too!

Happy Holidays!
Olivia and Family

bradley

Re: Hello from Manhattan!

Post by bradley »

Welcome Olivia! As someone who lives in the metro NY area I can tell you that it won't necessarily be a walk in the park to find your dream apartment. You probably know that, though, since you've been here since June. It would help to first decide what "affordable" means to you. Even the cost of a studio varies widely across cities, boroughs, and even blocks.

Super ERE-minded folks (like jacob) recommend spending no more than 15% of each person's net income on housing; that's 15% of the actual number written on your paycheck after taxes. It's a worthy goal.

My friends who have found cheap but nice apartments have found them through word-of-mouth, listservs, and Craigslist (especially one's with no photos; apparently that usually means the poster is not that tech savvy and might be advertising a huge bargain--of course you should always check them out to verify)

My husband and I rent a one-bedroom in Jersey City near buses and the PATH subway. We have big windows with lots of light in a leafy and relatively quiet neighborhood. This costs us $1250/mo.

Manhattan is tight with regards to real estate, but it's not impossible. Especially in areas further out from the city center. Other decent accessible areas are Jackson Heights (Queens), Bushwick (Brooklyn), Jersey City... and if you're willing to commute on the train, Bloomfield and Montclair (NJ).