Pulled the plug.... 60 Days until FI

Say hello!!
BullDog

Pulled the plug.... 60 Days until FI

Post by BullDog »

Hello. After 8 years of living the preparation to FI life, in have made the jump and have quit the job today.... Must admit, it feels more frightening than I expected. I found that the lifestyle switch to start saving and quit spending was actually fairly easy. The hard bit was pulling the trigger. Even after 8 years of longing for this moment it suddenly feels a bit scary. I'm sure this will pass. After all, any big change is going to rock the emotions a bit.... The good news is that FI is totally within your reach without feeling you have made any worthwhile sacrifice. You have got to want it enough and you will make it. Everyone of my colleagues at work think I am crazy. They don't understand why I haven't gone out and bought the new BMW 5 series with advanced Bluetooth phone connection and 3d sat nav. They actually think I'm a bit of a loser. I feel a bit sorry for them as they just don't get it. None of them are happy, they just don't understand why not. Love this website, it has been an inspiration to me. I now have the rest of my life to do whatever I want without having to be told what to do and turn up every Monday morning to kiss ass and listen to meeting after meeting of absolute bullshit. I'm feeling better already. Good luck everyone. You can do it.

Chris

Re: Pulled the plug.... 60 Days until FI

Post by Chris »

Congratulations on breaking free!
BullDog wrote:I now have the rest of my life to do whatever I want
Have you figured out what this is yet? I expect you'll enjoy your initial weeks and months enjoying the activity of "not work", but I'm curious if you planned out how you'll spend your copious amounts of freedom before pulling the plug.

BullDog

Post by BullDog »

That was the tough bit to be honest. Having a young family helps a lot as spending time with them is an obvious starting point. Any part of a decent FI plan should include the "what next" element. Each plan I suppose is very specific to the individual, but I definitely know what I will be doing the moment I have left the 9-5.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Congratulations! That's awesome.

BullDog

Post by BullDog »

Thanks Peanut!

sky

Post by sky »

Congrats!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Congratulations on the graduation. As always, we're very interested in the after-math. What are you going to do now?

BullDog

Post by BullDog »

Couple of basics, spend a lot more time with the family and friends. We have a lot of friends who are all over the world so will take a slow journey to see them all (plus visit some places we haven't been to yet). Spending time with our parents and enjoying the time without having to rush off somewhere. Mentoring some close friends who have business startups and using my experience to guide them from some of the errors I made. Getting my fitness back (I haven't done any exercise for 15 years) Learning to play the piano and taking skiing lessons. Cooking one new recipe every week... The list is endless. The world is an amazing place......

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Sounds great! Congrats!

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Congratulations! This sounds beyond awesome!!!!!

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

Congrats ! Very cool, hopefully I will reach the moment of FI :) , enjoy it and have fun with all the possibilities and experiences that lie ahead.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Your plan sounds perfect. Enjoy your family. Time is so precious.

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Woo! Congrats!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

That's fantastic! The secret handshake instructions should arrive about the same time as the COBRA letters.

The time between giving notice and actually leaving for the last time was kinda weird for me. Lots of various emotions, and lots of different conversations. It should be an interesting 60 days.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

congrats! I stopped working my full time job on April 10th after 20 years.....

I am very happy with my decision :)

I've never felt this free before....

You will probably find you'll be very busy doing different things out of your own volition and not for someone "else" ...:)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Congratulations :-)

Angela

Post by Angela »

Well done Bulldog! Hope you enjoy all your extra time with your family now. I'm sure they will appreciate your increased presence.

BullDog

Post by BullDog »

@Jacob @Dragline @Inchicago @ Cornerman @almostthere @lilacorchid @Tyler9000 @tylerrr @DutchGirl @Angela

Massive respect for the replys - thank you all. ~Look forward to sharing my experience and asking for advice from the many experienced people here. 57 days to go....... :D

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

How have you been doing these last two weeks? Are you getting a bit more used to the idea? What's work like, now that you are leaving? I'm a bit curious :-)

Did

Post by Did »

Congrats. Pulling the pin from a serious job can do your head in, even if you don't want to be there!