Greetings from Louisville, KY

Say hello!!
Gordon_Gekko

Greetings from Louisville, KY

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

Greetings from Louisville. I've been lurking around this site for about a year after I read Jacob's book on my honeymoon. I'm continuously amazed at the new perspective this community has provided me with both consumption and investing.

Both my wife and I have it very fortunate, we grew up in households that were great with money and somehow managed to both make it through college and grad school debt free. We both enjoy our careers but really enjoy having a lifestyle where we are not dependent on our incomes should we need to make a change. I am 28 and my DW is 29. We both came into our marriage with a decent chunk of savings / investments and hope to keep that growing for a young retirement age. I have to be honest and say we are not 100% ERE, but strive to do all we can. We both have solid incomes and manage a savings rate of approx 50%.

As long as we enjoy what we do, I've decided to not set a target date for our retirement, and instead just save as much as possible until we feel like retirement is right for us. We are also looking to have kids in the future so that too will play into the equation. I'm excited to be a part of the community and can't wait to continuously learn from others here!

Cheers :D

Dragline

Re: Greetings from Louisville, KY

Post by Dragline »

Gordon_Gekko wrote: . . .after I read Jacob's book on my honeymoon.
Well, I hope you married the right woman for that kind of thing! ;-)

Welcome!

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

Thanks Dragline.

She is great. We laugh about that one all the time. My background is in Healthcare Economics, and I saw the book on one of my regular reads, http://marginalrevolution.com/. I purchased the book to read on the plane, and couldn't sit it down until it was finished. Luckily, it didn't take me long to finish it.

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Welcome to the forum! Darn! I wish you had post sooner. I passed through Louisville just a couple of weeks ago to climb in the Red River Gorge. You are so lucky to live near there! The climbing there is amazing.

I also didn't realize what a lovely city Louisville was until I passed through it. Apparently, it also has one of the lowest unemployment rates in America. :)

Ciao.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Welcome!

I wish you had posted sooner, too. Several of us just had a meetup in Louisville!

mishek01

Post by mishek01 »

GandK wrote:Welcome!

I wish you had posted sooner, too. Several of us just had a meetup in Louisville!
I see this post is from a couple of years ago. Have there been any meet ups since? We have a meet up through the MMM forum planned in Louisville for August. If anyone here is interested please let me know. It will be a potluck in Tom Sawyer park on Sunday, August the 13th. MMM and ERE are very similar in philosophy, so it would be cool to grow the FI community in Louisville.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Why am I envisioning two groups yelling "More Savings" and "Less Consumption" like those old LIte beer commercials (Tastes great/less filling)?

mishek01

Post by mishek01 »

Dragline wrote:Why am I envisioning two groups yelling "More Savings" and "Less Consumption" like those old LIte beer commercials (Tastes great/less filling)?
We already had a couple of meet ups (I was only to one so far) and the group doesn't seem too extreme... I might be the most extreme one there and I spend a little more than MMM and a whole lot more than ERE. I am trying to hit FI by 30 though. My goal was to do it a day before my 30th birthday, so I could claim to be 29 :), but I don't think that is going to happen.