Hello from Missouri

Say hello!!
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I'm married with an almost 3 year old son and a newborn daughter. We live near St. Louis and I'm a CPA. Any other young families out there?
While I'll probably not retire early, I think the topics discussed here are important for anybody to pursue. As much as I'd like to give up my house (and the mortgage) and move into something cheaper - I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it. Convincing the wife would be even harder. My goal is to be able to either cut back my hours or freelance/work from home in a few years.
We were already debt free and emergency funded when I started reading PF blogs. Now I'm starting to ask "is this it?", "can I do this for another 30 years until my mortgage is paid?". I'm pursuing a couple things on the side to challenge myself and see if it could potentially boost or replace my income. First, I like to build furniture. Second, I'm trying to figure out how do to some sort of fee only financial planning/coaching - basically using my CPA and personal finance knowledge to help others establish a financial plan.
Nice to meet you all. I look forward to the discussions here.

pbkennedy

Post by pbkennedy »

Hi Kevin. NAPFA is the national association for fee-only planners. Typing "NAPFA" into any search engine will take you right there. And are you aware of The Nazrudin Project? Nazrudin is a group of planners who explore behavioral finance. There are a lot of coaches involved in Nazrudin. There's a Nazrudin page on Facebook, and you can get some information there. Paula

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Thanks Paula, I've heard of NAPFA but not Nazrudin, I'll check it out. I'm also looking into the PFS certification from the AICPA. It's fairly new, but they are providing sponsorships to defray the cost involved which makes it somewhat attractive.