Hi from Europe

Say hello!!
fandor

Post by fandor »

Hi, I am Fand0r, 28 years old guy from Prague, Czech Republic. I wanna be ER before I will be 30 years old. I have never been employed and permament employment is biggest nightmare in my life (it is loss of freedom in my opinion) besides health issues of course :)
I started working part-time on high school, I wrote articles to computer magazines (they paid really well, some months I earned more more money than my high school teachers :), I did kind of paperboy, some light construction jobs and I also started making websites. I quicky realized IT & Internet is way to earn decent money for fair time of work. Later I started registering internet domains in Czech Republic (around 2000), I spent most of my saving on registering domains, that was my only asset at that time.
In 2006 I realized I have a domain portfolio worth around 200-300k USD according to sales of similar domains of other domain owners, so I started selling domains actively to get funds for other internet non-internet investments - I prefer real estate.

I have very diversified activities on internet (affiliate sites, sites where I sell direct advertisment, ecommerce sites, I sell some digital products, I buy&sell domain names and websites).
I also bought rental property with 4 apartments and 2 smaller shops and 2 detached garages (garages were basically free because I tried to get better price and they offered me garages instread of discount) with 20 percent downpayment in downtown of 50k pop city in Czech Republic, current rental income is about 2k USD before taxes (taxes are low), mortage payment is about 2,5k USD a month (so i have to bring around 500 USD from my other income sources but it is only 7 year mortage/loan since my monthly payment is very high).
I still owe about half of the value of property, it will be paid in about 5 years from now but I am thinking about paying it in full in next 12-18 months (I can get funds if I sell my most valued domain names).
I have never lived really frugal life, I really enjoy good food and travelling which are almost meaning of my life :) My girlfriend says I live semiretired life style because I do not work more than 4 hours a day and I spent 2-5 months a year abroad traveling.
Otherwise I try to save money - usually I live below my earnings - I rented cheap apartment in Prague (prices of real estate are insane in Prague and I wanna move out in future so I did not buy my own), I drive 14 years old car (some of my friends cannot understand that), etc.
I would like to vancamp around Europe when I retire, I wanna travel extensively in Asia, Australia, Central and South America. I would like to intern in some restaurant to learn cook, I wanna walk Way of St. James. There are so many things I wanna try in future that I have to stop working to do it.
They only crack in my plan is my girlfriend who does not share my vison of ER life.

Marius

Post by Marius »

Hi Fandor!
Quite impressive how you make good money without a steady job. Way to go.
Do you think it's still interesting to join the domain game, or is there too much competition now?

fandor

Post by fandor »

Hi Marius, it is never late, but it won't be easy and you need some savings to start, preferably 10k+ USD. There are lot of people trying to make fortune on domains, but it is same like with forex, stocks, etc. Only low percentage of people make some decent money and the other ones are losing money.
If you are interested in this topic I recommend you book The Domain Game - http://tinyurl.com/2dv5u9c , it is nice introduction to this business (btw. I own one domain name mentioned in the book :-)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Cool, Fandor. Well done on making it without a job.
Out of curiosity how much is the property estimated at? Also, what are mortgage rates like in Cz.R?

fandor

Post by fandor »

JohnnyH) Property value is about 260k USD, mortage rates are around 4-6% in CZ, it depends on downpayment, fixation, lenght. It is pretty difficult to get mortage wihout at least 15% downpayment nowadays.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Děkuji... Sounds just like US.

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

@fandor - Since you might know what a Hanyak is, you should check this out.
www.hanyaksrock.com
Also, I make a mean kolache. My husband's been after me to try making klobasnek, but I have a sweet tooth.