Not extreme, but on track for early

Say hello!!
magpie

Post by magpie »

I've been reading ERE for most of this year. How did I get to 37 years of age without knowing this stuff? Well I kind of got some of it intuitively and have been heading in roughly the right direction but everything is much clearer now.
I'm a female INTP with a INTJ partner, we have two small kids.
We're frugal about things that don't matter to us and willing to spend money on other things, but this is considered rather than accidental.
We both work slightly part time in flexible jobs. I enjoy my job on a day to day basis, but have loads of other things I'd like to spend my time doing. (I am not cut out to be a full time stay at home parent, that is not an aspiration.)
Our major outgoing is the mortgage. We have a nice house, but nothing excessive. I don't really see how not owning a house would help - living somewhere small with two toddlers is not my idea of fun, and even somewhere basic would cost more in rent than our mortgage payment. We bought our first house (aged 21) because it was cheaper than renting two rooms in a shared house. We've made money on our houses and we're trying to get rid of the mortgage as soon as possible. That will dramatically reduce the amount of income we need to live on.
Our household income is pretty high and we've never increased our standard of living to match.
My goal is to be mortgage free in five years and therefore able to live on a much lower income. I don't envisage giving up work completely, but I would like to try something different.

movetoportugal

Post by movetoportugal »

Hi Magpie, just saying hi to another UK forum user! :-)