Midwest Model Homebody

Say hello!!
ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

Hi Everybody!

My name is Scott and I am from Michigan. I am 41, employed as a medical coder at the moment, with a paying hobby as a guitarist in a classic rock band. About a month ago, I discovered ERE through a Google search for ISTJ (my MBTI type) and found Jacob's amazing site and concepts. I considered myself frugal and had read the Tightwad Gazette compilation a few times, but I never dreamed of the possibility of early retirement, extreme or otherwise. Until now. I have managed to shave about $300 of worthless expenses from my life in the last month and I project I can retire in about 5 and half years. So, thanks, Jacob, and everyone here who has contributed good ideas!
Scott

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

How long were you playing guitar before you were good enough to make that a 'paying hobby'?

ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

Five years, and to be exact, I got my first guitar when I was 12 and was playing in a bar band by 17. I tried going "pro" when I was in my early to mid 20s, including moving to trendy locations such as Austin and finally to California, but I didn't make it, as so many others haven't. Along the way, I finished college and managed to learn enough skills in various health insurance and health provider jobs that I became a coder 7 years ago. But now I'd like to retire early and work on some projects, both musically and community-wide.