Devil’s Advocate says Hi. Also: Philanthropy & ERE.

Say hello!!
Ego

Re: Devil’s Advocate says Hi. Also: Philanthropy & ERE.

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote: Do motivations even matter as long as the goal is accomplished?
1. Who decided the goal? Do we agree on the goal? If not, then motivations are fair game.

2. JasonR mentioned the trolley/fat man problem. Regardless of whether you push the fat man or he jumps himself, motivations matter when you care about the fat man. If our collective cultural insanity is causing me to push him or causing him to jump in order to stop an empty trolly, we might want to ask ourselves why.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yup -- I don't see much value on going negative on someone else's not-bad acts. There are plenty of intentionally bad acts to be concerned about.

And the whole idea of telling someone else that their chosen charity or philanthropy is "ethically bad" seems like a lot of sanctimonious and/or jealous bullshit. "I'm morally superior to you because I don't do jack for anyone other than me" just sounds kind of lame in a overly-rationalized teen-aged angst/jadedness sort of way.

I still don't think any of this discussion has much to do with ERE other than in a very tangential way -- i.e., personal choices about how to spend one's time. Personally, I'd prefer to spend more time with the ethically challenged philanthropist or do-gooder than the allegedly pure avoider-of-ethical-quandries. The former are usually a lot more fun.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Dragline wrote: I still don't think any of this discussion has much to do with ERE other than in a very tangential way -- i.e., personal choices about how to spend one's time.
I kinda do. The unspoken criticism I get in conversations about ERE is that it's a selfish way to live. Criticizing a lack of charity work reinforces that perception, so I get why people might be sensitive to it. (pinching where it already hurts, so to speak)

C40

Post by C40 »

But it's bullshit. Most people working away aren't giving to Charity or Philanthropy. They are spending all their money on houses, cars, etc.. I

Ego

Post by Ego »

Man's Search For Meaning.

1) We spend a lot of time here talking about how some try to buy a meaningful life by buying stuff. It makes sense to question how some try to buy a meaningful life through philanthropy as well.

2) If my desire (compulsion) to purchase meaning through philanthropy makes me blind to the harm caused by philanthropy, is it fair for others to point out the unintended consequences?
Dragline wrote: And the whole idea of telling someone else that their chosen charity or philanthropy is "ethically bad" seems like a lot of sanctimonious and/or jealous bullshit. "I'm morally superior to you because I don't do jack for anyone other than me" just sounds kind of lame in a overly-rationalized teen-aged angst/jadedness sort of way.
If anyone claimed moral superiority it was Devil's Advocate (not for himself) when he overtly said the rich guy is a better human being because of his giving. Also, you might want to reread your paragraph above and reconsider who here is acting morally superior. :?

We all have different perspective.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The Ice Bucket Challenge, Narcissism as Altruism and Moral Licensing.
http://qz.com/249649/the-cold-hard-trut ... challenge/
People who had previously purchased a green product were significantly more likely to both lie and steal than those who had purchased the conventional product. Their demonstration of ethical behavior subconsciously gave them license to act unethically when the chance arose.
I found this via Shankar Vedantam and his story on Moral Licensing in the corporate world.
http://www.npr.org/2013/12/03/248320196 ... ity-record
VEDANTAM: ......... I asked her whether there was a relationship between corporate social responsibility and its evil twin, corporate social irresponsibility. Here's what she told me.

ELAINE WONG: Oh, yes. We're find a very strong relationship for that, in fact. So what our main finding is, is that engaging in corporate social responsibility at one point in time actually leads to an increase in corporate social irresponsibility at a later point in time.

and

VEDANTAM: Well, Wong actually is drawing on a large body of psychology that looks at the same behavior at the individual level. Here she is again.

WONG: People are actually more likely to engage in morally questionable behavior after they have engaged in moral behavior. So moral behavior can almost function like a type of monetary currency and you can bank this.

VEDANTAM: So I think what she's trying to say, Steve, is that all of us carry around the sort of mental account of our moral worth. So when we do bad things we feel the need to compensate by doing good things.

You know, a staple idea in the movies is a guy has an affair and he comes home and he buys his wife a diamond bracelet, right?

INSKEEP: This is the opposite of that.

VEDANTAM: Right. Now the wife doesn't know he's had the affair, so who is he compensating for? Who's the audience? He's actually compensating for himself. This is exactly the opposite of that; that sometimes we do good things, we bank them, and we cash them in. The theory is called moral licensing, and it's been demonstrated quite widely at the individual level. What Wong has done now is to show the same thing works at the corporate level.