Hello from Wisconsin

Say hello!!
Saltation

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by Saltation »

Hello everyone. I am from Wisconsin. I have followed the forums and the blog for about five years. I purchased the book and then passed it on to another person. I have also purchased a copy for my BIL for the holidays. I figured it was time to join the community given the amount of time I lurked in the shadows.

Edit: I should properly introduce myself as I may post more frequently.

I work for an automobile dealership as a parts wholesaler. My wife is a teacher. We have two children. My wife and I have both read the "book". We are currently prepaying our 80k mortgage on our 100+ year old house. As of right now we have 32 months until payoff. At that point we will both be 31 years old. When payoff occurs we will funnel all previous monies into investment accounts. Financially speaking we have no consumer debt except our mortgage. My wife has a masters degree and two administrator licenses. I am working to obtain my bachelors degree in business administration with a finance emphasis. All degrees have been and will be paid for with cash. In regards to lifestyle I am between ERE and MMM. I enjoy bicycling, woodworking (mostly rough work; shelving, step stools, playhouse from recycled pallets), walking and reading. Household spending excluding daycare and mortgage prepayments for a family of four is about 26k. At this point in the game I have saved ~58k in investment accounts including the money balance of my wife's pension. Each year we are saving about 24k. After all taxes are taken out this equals a roughly 38% savings rate. Once our children leave daycare it will be above 50%. We are hoping to have major lifestyle design changes after our children leave the nest.
Last edited by Saltation on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome to the forum! Greetings from Germany. ERE connects the world. ;-)

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I started reading ERE while living in Wisconsin and spent the bulk of the accumulation phase living there. I am also a vested but inactive member in the same pension as your wife. I would recommend signing up for the ETF emails. They send too many, but reading them have solidified my understanding of the plan. I am glad I have credit in it and wish I had bought more service credit before I quit. It sounds like you are doing well and welcome.