Ex-lawyer

Say hello!!
jennypenny

Re: Ex-lawyer

Post by jennypenny » Tue May 16, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm so happy your mom is ok.

I understand your feelings about the sun. We added a glass ceiling to our family room and part of our bedroom. It really helps me deal with the dreary winter weather. I crave sunlight.

Did

Post by Did » Sat May 20, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks JP. We are back in Ireland now, after a 12 million hour flight or two, and pleased to be here! The confusion of the expat.....

Shicky

Post by Shicky » Mon May 29, 2017 10:07 am

Hi Did,

what websites or communities do you recommend for getting started with house-sitting? Getting a number of positive reviews and then getting to look after mansions sounds a pretty good deal to me..

Thanks,

Nick

Did

Post by Did » Mon May 29, 2017 3:45 pm

i'd try a few out. it would probably depend on where you are located.

Did

Post by Did » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:10 am

Two updates. First, I am now getting beer out of a keg that rivals or exceeds local craft beer you would pay 5.50 euro for at a pub. Second, I've been appointed to the board of an animal welfare society. We tagged along to a swan release today. Pretty cool.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:26 am

That IS pretty cool!
Is there any reasonable way in which you could sell any of that beer or have you taken care of all money issues long ago? I seem to recall that you and/or your wife were quietly looking for some part time work to buff the finances.

Did

Post by Did » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:39 am

Yeah I've got my eye out for some coin ! Maybe in time I could wrangle some cash out of the home brew. I would like to get thing set up nicely first. Am doing heaps of work in the yard with an aim to converting the piggery into a bar. Completely insane, especially in Ireland (it's outdoor) but it gets me moving. Will post a pic once it is done in a few months.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:02 am

@Did, great to read your mum is ok after all. Where/how have you sourced your Hops, Barley and Malt? I have started looking into making a wheat beer. I have loads of wheat thanks to my bread baking obsession, so that's the wheat/malt covered, just not sure about the hops. :)

Are you bottling your beer or using a keg for carbonation? Have you gone for local yeast/ingredients?

Did

Post by Did » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:59 am

Hi I buy those things from an online home brew store. At the moment I buy them in a pre-packaged state as I'm still working on my processes. I will get more into recipe development and the like once I am consistently making good beer and serving it. I started with bottling but am now moving to kegging.

I hope in time to buy my malt in bulk from a local maltster (25 kg bag) and maybe my hops as well for certain beers.

I should note that depending on your skill level and personality you may need to drink a lot over a number of years to recoup your investment. It looks small but brewing something delicious can become a bit of an obsession.

I don't think I will end up with a local yeast as such. But I wouldn't mind trying some yeast harvesting and working out over time exactly how cheap I can make delicious beer. All that to come. There are so many factors in getting beer right it can take some time getting a replicable process down before you look to optimise.